Expos story on OTL?

Guest Moneyball

Guest Moneyball

I wasn't old enough to remember the strike or the expos of 94. but this team was full of studs, Martinez, reuter, floyd, grissom, walker, alou the list is on and on. the story actually made me wanna cry. if i was an expo fan i'd kill myself. montreal could be a good franchise now instead they are moving to washington.

Can someone post the 1994 Expos' roster?

21 year old Cliff Floyd, 22 year old Rondell White

average team age 26.1

Pedro, Admin Walker, John Wetteland, Marquis Grissom, Moises Alou, Darrin Fletcher, Ken Hill, Kirk Reuter, Wil Cordero, Mel Rojas, Mike Lansing, Jeff Shaw

those are the big names

# Pitchers

38 Denis Boucher

48 Joey Eischen

13 Jeff Fassero

41 Heath Haynes

20 Rod Henderson

27 Butch Henry

34 Gil Heredia

44 Ken Hill

35 Brian Looney

37, 45 Pedro Mart?nez

51 Mel Rojas

42 Kirk Rueter

54 Tim Scott

31 Jeff Shaw

57 John Wetteland

47 Gabe White

# Catchers

24 Darrin Fletcher

2 Tim Spehr

25 Lenny Webster

# Infielders

23 Juan Bell

15 Freddie Benavides

5 Sean Berry

12 Wil Cordero

30 Cliff Floyd

4 Jeff Gardner

3 Mike Lansing

39 Randy Milligan

# Outfielders

18 Moises Alou

7 Lou Frazier

9 Marquis Grissom

33 Admin Walker

22 Rondell White

Guest Moneyball

even the fact that walker and some of the other expensive players said they would have taken tons less money to stay in montreal but were never offered a contract. that shows how much those guys loved each other and what could have been. i hope some marlins players like penny and pavs do the same.

Guest Moneyball

# Pitchers

38 Denis Boucher

48 Joey Eischen

13 Jeff Fassero

41 Heath Haynes

20 Rod Henderson

27 Butch Henry

34 Gil Heredia

44 Ken Hill

35 Brian Looney

37, 45 Pedro Mart?nez

51 Mel Rojas

42 Kirk Rueter

54 Tim Scott

31 Jeff Shaw

57 John Wetteland

47 Gabe White

# Catchers

24 Darrin Fletcher

2 Tim Spehr

25 Lenny Webster

# Infielders

23 Juan Bell

15 Freddie Benavides

5 Sean Berry

12 Wil Cordero

30 Cliff Floyd

4 Jeff Gardner

3 Mike Lansing

39 Randy Milligan

# Outfielders

18 Moises Alou

7 Lou Frazier

9 Marquis Grissom

33 Admin Walker

22 Rondell White

479464[/snapback]

thanks .

Guest Juanky

Didn't either Schilling or the Big Unit pitch for Montreal at one point? Or is there another big name pitcher I'm forgetting that did.

Didn't either Schilling or the Big Unit pitch for Montreal at one point? Or is there another big name pitcher I'm forgetting that did.

479835[/snapback]

The Unit was drafted by the Expos in 1985 and played for them on the major league level in rookie year of 1988 and 1989 until he went to Seattle. This was all before the Expos became the powerhouse they were in 94.

Really is a shame. Besides the bad owner, that is one of the majors reasons that the Expos are going to Washington. To be that good and to all of a sudden say "Sorry, but you're not going to get your chance to see if this team can win it all or not" is pretty ****** up.

Thanks for the sympathies, that 1994 team was simply unbelievable. They were even better than the record indicates because they had a slow start in April. From late May on they were unstoppable. It wasn't just Brochu that ruined it, it was a consortium of owners(about 15 companies) and they all decided to not spend a dime to keep the stars and the team together after the strike.

As for the Big Unit, he was traded in 1989 in a move deisgned to contend: He went to seattle for Mark Langston who was an ace at the time headed for free agency. Langston was mediocre as a spo and left the winter after while the big unit became the pitcher he is today.

The Expos lineup and rotation for most of 1994 were:

C: Fletcher/webster

1B: Floyd (with Milligan getting a few starts)

2B: Lansing

3B: Berry

SS: Cordero

LF: Alou

CF: Grissom

RF: Walker

SP: Hill, Fassero, Henry, Martinez, Rueter

There were a couple of changes just before the strike hit, though - Walker was having some injury problems that had moved him to 1B, and Fassero was having some arm problems that saw him placed on the DL a day or so before the strike. I'm not sure how long Fassero would have been out if not for the strike, but he would have been out of the rotation until late August at the earliest. So on the day of the strike, the Expos lineup/roster looked something like:

C: Fletcher/Webster

1B: Walker (with Floyd and Milligan getting rare starts when Walker was rested)

2B: Lansing

3B: Berry

SS: Cordero

LF: White/Floyd

CF: Grissom

RF: Alou

SP: Hill, Martinez, Henry, Rueter, and probably either Gabe White or Gil Heredia while Fassero was on the DL, though they might have called up Carlos Perez or Ugueth Urbina, who were having good years in the minors.

:thumbup