September 26, 200422 yr I am so happy that Lenny has decided to play another year instead of retiring, but I think all of us knew he wanted to come back when it became clear that he wouldn't reach the 200 PH mark this year. ATLANTA -- In a pinch, you can always count on Lenny Harris. The ageless, 39-year-old pinch-hit specialist lived up to his nickname, "All-Time," on Thursday night with a pinch-hit home run off Philadelphia's Ryan Madson in the seventh inning. Harris' first home run of the season tied the score at 7 in a game the Phillies pulled out, 9-8, in 10 innings. "It just jumped out of there," said Harris. "I said, 'Man, I still have got some life in my bat.' " The home run was career pinch-hit No. 193 for Harris, a baseball record. On the season, the veteran is 12-for-51 (.235) as a pinch-hitter. Reaching 200 would be meaningful for Harris, who insists that he will play somewhere in 2005. The Miami native would like to remain a Marlin, but if things don't work out in Florida, he's ready to go elsewhere. "I figure 200 would be nice," he said. "It sounds good. People are saying, 'You've got to come back to get that 200.' But to me it's all about winning. You get spoiled for winning. You get accustomed to it. Everywhere I've been, I've been on a winning team. "But I have never been on a team where everybody has as much character as this team. Win or lose, everybody comes back the next day the same. They are never down and out. I feel like I can come back and help -- if not here, then somewhere. I'm definitely going to play next year." An unselfish leader, Harris has mastered the role of specialist. Pinch-hitting is difficult, because players have one chance, and it's usually late in games at crucial moments. Harris' biggest pinch-hit of the season came at Dodger Stadium, where he delivered a three-run double off Eric Gagne, rallying the Marlins to a 6-4 victory. The drive into the gap caused Gagne's second blown save of the season. "I think I'm a better hitter with the game on the line," said Harris. "I like those situations. I like it when it's like that. Usually, this year, it's been tougher for me. I've got a lot of at-bats leading off an inning. I kind of hate that. I like guys on base. You're better protected that way. "I just want to contribute to the team. I remember the big hit I had off Gagne, looking in the dugout and seeing everybody jumping up and down. It made me feel so good." Manager Jack McKeon believes that teams need role players like Harris. "The guy is great on the ballclub," said McKeon. "He's great on the bench. He's a motivator. He gets on guys when somebody needs it. And sometimes, when they don't need it, he gets on guys. But he's in the game. He likes what he's doing. He hasn't lost it. Some guys lose it." http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...s_fla&fext=.jsp
September 26, 200422 yr The person in baseball who needs to the retire the most is Barry Bonds, not Lenny.
September 26, 200422 yr The person in baseball who needs to the retire the most is Barry Bonds, not Lenny. 573154[/snapback] Anyway, another year of Lenny Da Peemp off the bench? I can dig it!
September 26, 200422 yr Lenny, if you do return, win the job in spring training this time. No freebies for useless players.
September 26, 200422 yr lame 573172[/snapback] What is lame, Lenny returning? Elaborate. 573202[/snapback] Sham is upset because Lenny's replacement over the denominator times the amount of clay in his shoe over the next available PH off the bench isnt nearly as much as say John Mabry's BA minus his shirt size when multiplied by his on base percentage along with his 40 yard dash speed :plain Sham is a SABR guy and wants someone else :thumbup
September 26, 200422 yr lame 573172[/snapback] What is lame, Lenny returning? Elaborate. 573202[/snapback] Sham is upset because Lenny's replacement over the denominator times the amount of clay in his shoe over the next available PH off the bench isnt nearly as much as say John Mabry's BA minus his shirt size when multiplied by his on base percentage along with his 40 yard dash speed :plain Sham is a SABR guy and wants someone else :thumbup 573522[/snapback] shammy just got served. QWNED even. :o
September 26, 200422 yr hooray for a slap hitter who can barely hit, cant run, cant play defense, and unnecessarily uses up a roster spot. i'm glad he's gonna try to get 200 pinch hits, but i hope he doesn't do it as a marlin.
September 26, 200422 yr im so happy lenny harris is coming back....well kinda,he might not be here but i'll still be watching him wherever he goes.
September 26, 200422 yr lame 573172[/snapback] What is lame, Lenny returning? Elaborate. 573202[/snapback] Sham is upset because Lenny's replacement over the denominator times the amount of clay in his shoe over the next available PH off the bench isnt nearly as much as say John Mabry's BA minus his shirt size when multiplied by his on base percentage along with his 40 yard dash speed :plain Sham is a SABR guy and wants someone else :thumbup 573522[/snapback] hehe. You dont even need that formula for Lenny. Lets see. Cant hit for average, power, cant field, cant run, and has no arm. What am I missing here? We can find tons of better players or (gasp!) someone younger who could put in the same effort or better.
September 26, 200422 yr If Lenny does come back then Mordy better not be back unless it is as a coach.
September 26, 200422 yr If Lenny does come back then Mordy better not be back unless it is as a coach. 573720[/snapback] why? :mad :
September 27, 200422 yr As long as he doesn't come back to the Marlins I'll be okay with him playing another 50 years. :thumbdown
September 27, 200422 yr hehe. You dont even need that formula for Lenny. Lets see. Cant hit for average, power, cant field, cant run, and has no arm. What am I missing here? We can find tons of better players or (gasp!) someone younger who could put in the same effort or better. 573717[/snapback] No you didn't!
September 27, 200422 yr the things stats don't show: when u see lenny in the batting box u see a guy who knows what he's going to do up there. everytime he stands there is obvious he has a plan, he knows the pitcher and he knows what pitch to wait for. he sets pitchers up, show's a good eye and usually makes good swings. u can use all the SABR u want, but that will never show there. i've seen guys with "better" numbers go up there and look completely lost, over matched, u never get that with lenny.
September 27, 200422 yr If his plan results in groundout after groundout, what's the point? There's high-contact slap-hitters available that can run and play defense.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.