Last nights game was a disgrace to baseball

Accord

While it wasn't shown on television, the fans in attendance at the final game at Olympic Stadium against the Marlins last night boo'ed our national anthem. They don't deserve a major league baseball team and what better way to stick it to them than placing their very team in our nations capital?

The Expos "fans" got Expowned.

Some comments from Jack about the incident:

While tears were shed and hugs were shared, Marlins manager Jack McKeon was incensed, saying afterward he is glad baseball finally pulled the plug on the moribund franchise. McKeon became so angry when many fans booed The Star-Spangled Banner that he thought briefly of showing his displeasure by ordering his players off the field when the Canadian anthem was played.

''That was an embarrassment,'' McKeon said. ``If that's the way they're going to treat American citizens, I'll never come back here again. Our country had nothing to do with their problems. I would be embarrassed as a Canadian citizen. That was insulting. I came close to pulling our players off the field.''

Way to go Jack, you tell'em :thumbup .

Also some comments from Mordey, JP, and Rudy...

Thirty-five years worth of memories were on display throughout the night, prompting tears and polite applause. But so too was a public display of anger that some Marlins players said gave them cause for concern.

With golf balls flying in the top of the third inning, umpires ordered the teams to take cover in their respective dugouts. Marlins reliever Rudy Seanez, who was on the mound for the last out, said the only emotion he felt was relief that he would never have to play in Montreal again.

''That's a bunch of crap,'' Seanez said of the booing and bottle-throwing. ``I wish anybody who threw something on the field, or jumped on the field, broke their arm or leg or something.''

Even third baseman Mike Mordecai, who was a late-inning insertion, said he was concerned when he recorded the final putout on Terrmel Sledge's foul pop.

''I was looking out of the corner of my eye to see if golf balls or anything else was coming,'' said Mordecai, who once played for the Expos. ``I think I counted six or seven golf balls during the game.''

Said Marlins center fielder Juan Pierre: ``When they started booing our national anthem, that's when I knew it was going to be a testy night, that there would be some kind of fireworks going on.''

Extra security, including riot police, was brought in for the game as a precaution. But the antics seemed to abate in the later innings as the reality set in that baseball in Montreal was coming to an end. Frank Sinatra's My Way played on the stadium speaker system at the start of the ninth inning, along with a video montage of Expos highlights on the scoreboard. And truth be known, many fans cheered in an effort to drown out the boos during the U.S. anthem.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/9795444.htm

it's almost as if MLB knew that the s___ was going to hit the fan in montreal's last game this year, and who better to throw into the pit than the fish?

i don't really believe that's the case, but there's something eerily plausible about it. just another wacky detour for the 2004 marlins...

and good for jack - never let it be doubted that he's STILL the man! he's right to consider pulling his team off the field after an insult like that. while i am disappointed to see the expos gone, he's absolutely right that, considering how things had gotten in the past few years, there wasn't much of a choice. better to do it sooner than to subject the organization to another year in baseball purgatory.

most of all, kudos to the fish for coming out of there with a sweep, and to the canadian fans who tried to drown out the booing contingent. montreal definitely has some dedicated fans who were genuinely emotional about watching their expos play their last game, and the shenanigans that marred the game are as big an affront to them as to anyone else.

I heard them booing. That was awful.

As for the throwing of objects, I said that was dumb in the game thread last night but yet some people on here defended the guys throwing stuff. :plain

You knew something was going to happen. Maybe if the fans that were there last night actually SHOWED UP for some games, this wouldn't be happening. That's an embarrassment.

576863[/snapback]

maybe the majority that showed up last night, actually go to games? I support the Fish, but I can't go to 81 games. I usualy go to 25 or so games. My point is, that maybe the 5 or 6k they put on the seats every game, draws from a pool of 50-60K that support the team (and most of those fans showed up last night to wave their team goodbye).

Everyone just chooses to ignore that many of the fans cheered to try to drown out those boos.

I'm not gonna blame all of Montreal, there's always a few idiots at games. These are the people who cheer when other team's players get hurt and stupid stuff like that. Happens all the time in a lot of places.

You knew something was going to happen.? Maybe if the fans that were there last night actually SHOWED UP for some games, this wouldn't be happening.? That's an embarrassment.

576863[/snapback]

maybe the majority that showed up last night, actually go to games? I support the Fish, but I can't go to 81 games. I usualy go to 25 or so games. My point is, that maybe the 5 or 6k they put on the seats every game, draws from a pool of 50-60K that support the team (and most of those fans showed up last night to wave their team goodbye).

576895[/snapback]

They got 35,00 last night. They regularly draw around 3,00. "Maybe the majority that showed up last night actually go to games?" No.

This isn't the first (and won't be the last time) that some retarted Canadians boo our anthem, so I won't single out last night's incident, and also like Hugg said, a lot of people tried to cheer and drown out the boos.....but......

When less than 10,000 people a night are going to the game, that's simply a recipe for failure, and as a result, MLB really had no choice but to move the team to a market that will support it.

Give me a break.

Some of you are on your high horses now, but let's say it's 2009, Jeffrey Loria decides that there is a sweeter deal in Las Vegas and the stadium deal fell through (scenarios that are NOT within the realm of the impossible). I'm sure that one of two things would happen: 1. only 200 people would show up to the last Marlins game at Joe Robbie Stadium, or 2. 35,000 people would show up and throw everything possible on the field. How quickly we forget the schedule magnet throwing incident of 2002!

There was outrage in Montreal, and it was to be expected. That was a city that was royally screwed by every owner after Bronfman (Brochu and Loria included!!) and then screwed by MLB. And you expect them to just sit there and take it. NOPE!! If I were an Expos fan, I would have done much the same.

Give me a break.

Some of you are on your high horses now, but let's say it's 2009, Jeffrey Loria decides that there is a sweeter deal in Las Vegas and the stadium deal fell through (scenarios that are NOT within the realm of the impossible). I'm sure that one of two things would happen: 1. only 200 people would show up to the last Marlins game at Joe Robbie Stadium, or 2. 35,000 people would show up and throw everything possible on the field. How quickly we forget the schedule magnet throwing incident of 2002!

There was outrage in Montreal, and it was to be expected. That was a city that was royally screwed by every owner after Bronfman (Brochu and Loria included!!) and then screwed by MLB. And you expect them to just sit there and take it. NOPE!! If I were an Expos fan, I would have done much the same.

577004[/snapback]

I guess that makes you classless then, too. There is no excuse to throwing things on the field, or booing ANYONES National Anthem, for that matter.

Quite frankly, if there was a sweeter deal in Vegas, I'd WISH the Marlins to take it. Course, I don't live in Florida, so I have no geographical ties to the team like some people. I'd just consider it another chapter in the team's history.

Guest marlins02

did anybody see bill lee's interview on espn news? that s*** was hillarious. he went on a tirade where he basically called DC a s*** hole saying that the DC summers are hell and that he pitched at RFK and said it was a hellhole. said that the teams prior owners, MLB and Selig screwed them, how much he loved playing there and how great of a city montreal is. he even got into how washington is a city split between the black slums and the politicians and doesnt even get electoral votes (which hasnt been the case in a long time). once he got into that last topic the anchor cut him off and ended the interview. it was great tv. :thumbup

Guest marlins02

Fuk Montreal and their fans! Remember the Avatar "Montreal Losers" that I had up before, well it's now gone!

The real LOSERS are those stupid fans. They do not deserve a MLB team.

Fuk them! :thumbdown

577041[/snapback]

you do realize that youre a fan of a team that many people say the same thing about dont you?

Fuk Montreal and their fans! Remember the Avatar "Montreal Losers" that I had up before, well it's now gone!

The real LOSERS are those stupid fans. They do not deserve a MLB team.

Fuk them! :thumbdown

577041[/snapback]

you do realize that youre a fan of a team that many people say the same thing about dont you?

577050[/snapback]

:owned

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.