"Worst Baseball Cities"

Flag Man

Front page of today's (Saturday's) PB Post Sports lists "Best Baseball Cities" and "Worst Baseball Cities."

Joe Capozzi (a solid reporter who covers the Marlins) lists Boston best (for tradition) and St. Louis second best (for fan appreciation of baseball.)

WORST he cites as South Florida. "Fans would rather support a winless football team more than a winning baseball team."

And, also disturbing, and true, he lists Tampa Bay as Second Worst City because "Field of Screams proves: If you build it, they won't necessarily come."

Front page of today's (Saturday's) PB Post Sports lists "Best Baseball Cities" and "Worst Baseball Cities."

Joe Capozzi (a solid reporter who covers the Marlins) lists Boston best (for tradition) and St. Louis second best (for fan appreciation of baseball.)

WORST he cites as South Florida. "Fans would rather support a winless football team more than a winning baseball team."

And, also disturbing, and true, he lists Tampa Bay as Second Worst City because "Field of Screams proves: If you build it, they won't necessarily come."

599305[/snapback]

He's a moron...Boston is far from the best, I've been here 4 years and you wouldn't believe the number of college fairweather fans, the sports media here is utter crap and the ignorant masses eat it up and turn on reputable great players like Manny, and Nomar on an almost dailiy basis.

After New York got up 3 - 0 in the Series, you wouldn't have even guessed it was the playoffs if you strolled around Boston, nevermind Boston being in them.

Their fanbase is over-rated.

As for Florida's it's bad, perhaps the worst but they have atleast some legit reasons. They don't have the history, they've been treated like s*** and they've been spoiled by winning teams, their stadium sucks, their division rivals have a TV deal and have as a consequence more fans in Florida than the Marlins do.

the best fans in MLB belong to the Yankees..

the most overrated is Boston...like said above they do turn on you quick.

the amrlins are screwed cause there in south florida were the Dolphins rule even though they havent won a game all season,the stadium does suck,the fans dont go if the weather doesnt look right...i mean sometimes here at my buisness i give away the tickets if i cant make it that day and sometimes i throw them away cause knowone wants them...it is sad really...

St. Louis has far and away the best fans.

1) They come down every spring to support their guys in ST.

2) Look at the ratings for NLCS game 6, and ALCS game 7 in StL. The local share for the ALCS was something like 32.2 in Boston, and 30 in St. Louis...even if it's not their team, they love baseball.

3) EVERY single fan, be it a playoff game or a day game in July is decked out in red. That's devotion right there...I tip my hat to Cards fans.

Seattle was once known as a bad baseball town.

More people in South Florida care for the sport of baseball than many major league cities. Just not for the home team.

599426[/snapback]

Exactly, it took Seattle a generation and two teams in order to flourish.

599470[/snapback]

good point indeed. i remember when i was first going to games in 1993, it was like fulton county south. now, the braves don't have the same hold among florida natives. still tons of yanks/mets/cubs among transplants, and to a large extent their kids, but i think the situation is improving. but of course we need a new stadium to take advantage of this

Was Montreal on the list? How can Florida do worse than them? :blink:

Anyhow, I think St. Louis should be Number 1. You won't find a classier, more knowledgable fanbase anywhere. Boston fans are psychotic; New Yorkers are conceited.

Just my opinion.

599354[/snapback]

Montreal's not a baseball city anymore ;)

For the life of me I can't find a link to this story(although I see the teaser for it on the .PDF of the front page) either in the (online) newspaper or through Google news. Can anyone post a link?

599477[/snapback]

Marlins2003, Sorry, I couldn't define the link. It was like in a "box" at the bottom of the Sports Front Page. The article continued inside and the "Worst/Best Cities" was not part of the article.

599305[/snapback]

And no one addressed: "Fans would rather support a winless football team more than a winning baseball team."

Sad, so sad. Truth.