January 26, 200521 yr Who would you rather have? It would have been cheaper for us to keep D-Lee and Pudge as opposed to Lo Duca and Delgado, so which duo would you rather have right now? I'm going with Delgado and Lo Duca.
January 26, 200521 yr Pudge > Lo Duca Lee = Delgado Lee and Pudge..... Pudge is clutch on offense and his Defense..well noone plays like Pudge defensively IMO. Lee puts up some good numbers too and his Defense..well the Gold Glove speaks for itself. Lo Duca is an above-average catcher who puts up good numbers but defensively is nothing out of the ordinary. Delgado's Defense is good but not great, and his offense is great. 8 seasons with 30+ HRs is solid. His offense is better then Derrek's but Derrek's Defense is better than Carlos' offense which evens it out. Plus at this point in time...Pudge and Lee would be cheaper. Now that I realize that I am mad...we gave away two quality players, who would be cheaper right now then the players we have. Also, we wouldn't give Pudge a 4 year 40 million dollar deal, but we give a player who (so far) has done nothing for us a 4 year 52 million dollar deal. COMO?! QUE?! Don't get me wrong I love the signing but If I could pick a combo of players I would pick Pudge and Lee over Lo Duca and Delgado...and maybe Im alone on this boat.
January 26, 200521 yr On a night like tonight, who could vote for anyone other than Delgado? 668103[/snapback] :whistle
January 26, 200521 yr Pudge > Lo Duca Lee = Delgado Lee and Pudge..... Pudge is clutch on offense and his Defense..well noone plays like Pudge defensively IMO. Lee puts up some good numbers too and his Defense..well the Gold Glove speaks for itself. Lo Duca is an above-average catcher who puts up good numbers but defensively is nothing out of the ordinary. Delgado's Defense is good but not great, and his offense is great. 8 seasons with 30+ HRs is solid. His offense is better then Derrek's but Derrek's Defense is better than Carlos' offense which evens it out. Plus at this point in time...Pudge and Lee would be cheaper. Now that I realize that I am mad...we gave away two quality players, who would be cheaper right now then the players we have. Also, we wouldn't give Pudge a 4 year 40 million dollar deal, but we give a player who (so far) has done nothing for us a 4 year 52 million dollar deal. COMO?! QUE?! Don't get me wrong I love the signing but If I could pick a combo of players I would pick Pudge and Lee over Lo Duca and Delgado...and maybe Im alone on this boat. 668117[/snapback] No way in hell Lee is equal to Delgado. The only way he has him beat is Defensively and I'll take Delgado's production over that any time.
January 26, 200521 yr I don't think Lee's defense is enough to make up for Delgado's advantage on offense. The man is a monster.
January 26, 200521 yr Right now my heart says Lo Duca and Delgado, i'll think about it in three days and probably change my mind
January 26, 200521 yr What did this team build on when they won the championship in 03? Speed and Defense. Lee's Defense was crucial at many points in the season and in the playoffs. I do believe Lee also hit 30+ HRs that season which is in the same ballpark as Delgado. I agree Delgado is a better overall OFFENSIVE player but Lee's Defense is superior to Delgados...and IMO that makes up for it. Remember....Defense wins Championships...
January 26, 200521 yr I'll take Delgado and Lo Duca because of the fact that Delgado has the ability to change the course of a game with one swing of the bat. Lo Duca also is slowly becoming a very clutch player and before we know it he could be the next Pudge. Now I still miss Pudge and DLee for there defense but neither of them could really change a game at the plate.
January 26, 200521 yr I cant help but feel nostalgic for Pudge/Lee 668420[/snapback] I have to agree with you on that but I think that if Delgado can give you some new memories if he brings home that World Series trophy this season.
January 26, 200521 yr Ill go with Pudge cuz he can do more of the lil things that help a team win. His will to win was the reason the Marlins won the World Series. They guy did everything. I dont like that Delgado is one dimensional, and the contract that he got.
January 26, 200521 yr Ill go with Pudge cuz he can do more of the lil things that help a team win. His will to win was the reason the Marlins won the World Series. They guy did everything. I dont like that Delgado is one dimensional, and the contract that he got. 668484[/snapback] Delgado drove in 145 runs in 2003 (or 02 i cant remember), he isnt one dimensional. He hits homers, but hes also patient at the plate and can make clutch hits
January 26, 200521 yr Exactly, Cangelosi u just said it, he is an offensive player, which isnt bad, but that year he had 145 RBI was one of those rare career years that wont occour again unless ur Barry Bonds. Everyone seems to forget that he had leg problems last year, will that hurt his mobility at first base? The GM doesnt seem to think so since he gave him a huge contract, but is that a problem that can show up again with more wear and tear? Can Delgado put a team on his back and take them to playoffs? Ivan has already proven that he can. Can Carlos do that, i dont know.
January 26, 200521 yr I dont think Delgado has to put the team on his back and carry them to the playoffs. This team has enough talent to do it as a team, and Delgado just adds to that talent. As far as his injuries, last season was his only real injury ridden season. The first half he missed cause of a pulled muscle in his back, and in the second half he was a monster offensively. He still managed to hit over 30 homers in 120+ games, and still managed to walk quite frequently. He is a 30/100 left handed hitter that has walked over 100 times three out of the last four years. The guy is a stud and I cant believe that some are questioning this, especially on the day after we sign him.
January 26, 200521 yr "Can Delgado put a team on his back and take them to playoffs? " Sorry but but Pudge didn't do that. He was a monster in the playoffs, but he didn't carrry this team to the playoffs. I'm ready for the Cabrera/Delgado era. I don't care what Pudge or Lee do. I moved on
January 26, 200521 yr The past three seasons: With runners in scoring position: Delgado .312 average D. Lee .263 average RISP with 2 outs Delgado .276 average Lee .213 average So please lets stop with the D.Lee and Delgado are equal.
January 26, 200521 yr I too am amazed at the second-guessing but I'm not surprised. In my mind there is no question that the payments due Hampton (and I'm not complaining because it all worked out well for the franchise and will in the future as well when the Braves start paying him $13.5 million on their own next season and $14.5 the year after) was the reason we couldn't make a financial commitment to Pudge and/or Lee in the neighborhood they were looking for. It was all about timing and 2004 wasn't the year the Marlins could step up, not with two years left on the Hampton payment schedule. That's why the Fish packaged the Delgado payment schedule the way they did. But back to the question at hand, I'd much prefer Delgado to Lee (purely for offensive reasons) and to me Pudge vs. LoDuca is an unfair comparison because for the reasons articulated above, Pudge was not affordable in 2004. You can't turn back the clock nor can your ignore the fiscal restraints this team operates under.
January 26, 200521 yr I too am amazed at the second-guessing but I'm not surprised. In my mind there is no question that the payments due Hampton (and I'm not complaining because it all worked out well for the franchise and will in the future as well when the Braves start paying him $13.5 million on their own next season and $14.5 the year after) was the reason we couldn't make a financial commitment to Pudge and/or Lee in the neighborhood they were looking for. It was all about timing and 2004 wasn't the year the Marlins could step up, not with two years left on the Hampton payment schedule. That's why the Fish packaged the Delgado payment schedule the way they did. But back to the question at hand, I'd much prefer Delgado to Lee (purely for offensive reasons) and to me Pudge vs. LoDuca is an unfair comparison because for the reasons articulated above, Pudge was not affordable in 2004. You can't turn back the clock nor can your ignore the fiscal restraints this team operates under. 668565[/snapback] Great explanation 2003 :thumbup
January 26, 200521 yr I take Lo Duca/Delgado. Lo Duca is a solid catcher, a leader on and off the field but he is younger so he can be with us for a long time. Dereck Lee is not very cosistent at the plate compared to delgado. We already have enough incosistencey with Gonzalez at the plate. But i'll take Gonzalez over Lee because of his defense at shortstop is more important. This lineup is a great one now and probably the best in the NL. I think our defense is just as good. I have a special place for Pudge and Lee but its not 2003 anymore its time for World Series 2005. If our Pitching staff can be consistent we will be there. Thats the key to this season, not offense :marlins
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.