Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Clarification

Featured Replies

Just wanted to clarify something that many people are confused about. When delgado did not stand for God Bless america, he was NOT protesting the war in Iraq. His sole protest was the weapons testing that the US was undergoing in that little island off Puerto rico. Thats it.

Isn't the US done bombing Viequez?

Delgado to stand for God Bless America

 

TSN.ca Staff

 

1/15/2005

 

Carlos Delgado may be willing to stand during God Bless America after all.

 

Last season, Delgado raised some eyebrows when he refused to stand for God Bless America in Yankee Stadium to show his opposition to the war in Iraq.But according to a report in Newsday, the free agent slugger has told teams he will stand for the song if his new team requests it.

 

"There was no team policy in Toronto regarding the issue of standing for 'God Bless America,' " Delgado's agent, David Sloane, said in an e-mail interview Friday with the newspaper. "Therefore Carlos felt it was permissible for him to express his displeasure with the politicalization of baseball.

 

Yeah I mean what would TSN or Sloane know about getting facts right, right?

Added clarification: He stands for the NATIONAL FAWKING ANTHEM, who cares if he doesn't stand up for some song that's a relatively new invention?

Stand-up guy: Delgado protests during 'God Bless America'

 

 

July 21, 2004

SportsLine.com wire reports

 

 

 

NEW YORK -- Fervently anti-war, Carlos Delgado quietly carried out his personal protest this season, refusing to stand when God Bless America was played at ballparks across the majors.

 

 

Most fans never saw him disappearing up the dugout tunnel or staying in the dugout. And even teammates who disagreed with the Toronto slugger's political stance accepted his right to call the United States' invasion of Iraq "the stupidest war ever."

 

Oh, I also guess Delgado is also wrong about what he was protesting too.

Just wanted to clarify something that many people are confused about. When delgado did not stand for God Bless america, he was NOT protesting the war in Iraq. His sole protest was the weapons testing that the US was undergoing in that little island off Puerto rico. Thats it.

669646[/snapback]

 

 

 

Or at least reserach what you post please.

 

 

No wonder you are such a mis-guided person when it comes to a lot of issues, you have a hard time grasping simple news stories like these.

Does it matter? Should this be something anyone other than Delgado should concern themselves with? The whole team could have a seat and I could care less. I watch the game for the game not the National Anthem or the 7th inning stretch song. Last time I checked about half of the team wasn't American, why should they be forced to stand? Last time I checked this was one of the great things about America, the freedom to choose.

Does it matter? Should this be something anyone other than Delgado should concern themselves with? The whole team could have a seat and I could care less. I watch the game for the game not the National Anthem or the 7th inning stretch song. Last time I checked about half of the team wasn't American, why should they be forced to stand? Last time I checked this was one of the great things about America, the freedom to choose.

669661[/snapback]

Amen! :thumbup I think its an oxymoron if supposed "Americans" become upset when someone expresses their own feelings within "the land of the free".

  • Author

Just wanted to clarify something that many people are confused about. When delgado did not stand for God Bless america, he was NOT protesting the war in Iraq. His sole protest was the weapons testing that the US was undergoing in that little island off Puerto rico. Thats it.

669646[/snapback]

 

 

 

Or at least reserach what you post please.

 

 

No wonder you are such a mis-guided person when it comes to a lot of issues, you have a hard time grasping simple news stories like these.

669656[/snapback]

 

The problem you obviously have is that your reaidng that from news stories. After the incident it leaked to the media that the reason he didnt stand was to protest the war. It wasnt true. Delgado himself said it when the incident was in full swing. Not only that there was a discussion on that very topic a few days ago on ESPN radio. Unlike you who takes all your facts from the media, I look for direct sources and base my opinion on analytical thinking. You should try this some time. Start reading boosk rather than regurgitating news articles. I never said that delgado is pro war, the fact is that the particular day in which he didnt stand for god bless america that mad eit to national news was his way of protesting the bomb testing. Im not arguing his stance or opinion, but that is the FACT. And on top of that Im defintely not misguided on any political stance. I have researched most of my political stances deeply, I've written extensive research projects on the issues, and am much more qualified to make a political opinion than you are simply by decoration. Stop relying on media outlets as your only source for info, it kills brain cells.

Find evidence. As of right now I have provided as much evidence that G W Bush really is a monkey as much as you have proven Delgado wasn't protesting the war, rather some testing of weapons of the PR Coast.

 

I guess if you want to say Sloane was wrong about what his client was protesting and reported it wrong I guess you can say that. But I think Delgado would want to make known what he was protesting, so quote would be easy to find if that is the case.

 

And what do you mean the "particular day"? He didn't stand for it for a while there. Okay so the one day he stood for something else, you prefaced this as saying he "did not do it protesting the war in Iraq", hiniting at he never did it to protest the war in Iraq. Otherwise you would have added a "did not protest the war, this day," and not have made a blatent statement.

 

So wait, printed news articles are bad for me and the mind and the brain cells. But, ESPN Radio, apparently the god-like media outlet that must always get the news stories right, must be right. Okay, so no contradiction there at all.

 

I will stick by the printed news stories and Delgado's "stupidest war ever" quote.

"But I think it's the stupidest war ever. Who are you fighting against? You're just getting ambushed now. We have more people dead now after the war than during the war," he said. "I don't support what they do. It's just stupid."

 

Delgado, from Puerto Rico, also opposed the U.S. military's longtime use of the Puerto Rican island of Vieques for weapons testing.

 

His opinion became more well known to New York fans in a column in the New York Times on Wednesday. In it, he said, "It takes a man to stand up for what he believes."

 

"I am not pro-war; I'm anti-war," he said. "I'm for peace."

 

So he opposed this bombing off PR, doesn't sound like he does anymore.

 

 

So are you still going to say he didn't stand solely in protest of something he used to oppose?

  • Author

"But I think it's the stupidest war ever. Who are you fighting against? You're just getting ambushed now. We have more people dead now after the war than during the war," he said. "I don't support what they do. It's just stupid."

 

Delgado, from Puerto Rico, also opposed the U.S. military's longtime use of the Puerto Rican island of Vieques for weapons testing.

 

His opinion became more well known to New York fans in a column in the New York Times on Wednesday. In it, he said, "It takes a man to stand up for what he believes."

 

"I am not pro-war; I'm anti-war," he said. "I'm for peace."

 

So he opposed this bombing off PR, doesn't sound like he does anymore.

 

 

So are you still going to say he didn't stand solely in protest of something he used to oppose?

669685[/snapback]

 

Also opposed there is a semantic argument. Again throw out all the news sources you want. It just so happens that the reason he wasnt standing (i didnt mean to say particualr day i meant to say particular time) was b/c of the bombing in vieques. Ok fine ill admit im wrong this time and say the war in iraq had something to do with ti as well. But the bombing in vieques was much more influential on his decision than the media was portraying it to be.

Find me a linky on the Vieques thing please. The Vieques thing has been over for at least 2 years.

 

As I said before, I didn't like what he did but he has the right to do it.

NO, get your facts straight...Delgado refused to participate in the singing of god bless america b/c he opposes the war on iraq...the whole situation with the NAVY having a live shooting range in the island of Vieques (off the eastern coast of Puerto Rico) was actually resolved in 2000, when then governor Rossello signed a treaty with Pres. Clinton which guaranteed that the Navy would leave Vieques in May of 2003 and that they would clean the polluted terrain (live bombs, high levels of uranium and other sorts of weaponry). Therefore, the issue of Vieques was resolved as of MAY OF 2003.

Find me a linky on the Vieques thing please. The Vieques thing has been over for at least 2 years.

 

As I said before, I didn't like what he did but he has the right to do it.

669710[/snapback]

 

 

 

does that help?

 

:)

I think this topic should absolutely be put to rest right now. This guy hasn't even officially been welcomed to the ballclub, and everyone is looking at all the negative aspects of his character. I go by the old mantra--innocent until proven guilty.

 

I can't tell you how many times players do poorly in certain cities, but when they leave and find themselves in a different atmosphere, there is a certain comfort level. Delgado is going to be accepted by the people of South Florida with such warmth and cordiality (that a word?) that I doubt he'll want to do anything to upset his fellow latin citizens!

 

Prime example: Lamar Odom. The guy was a sullen young chap, always involved in shady issues, drug-related problems, and classified as underachieving--before he came to Miami. The city-the vibrant city-helped turn him around. Maybe it was the weather, maybe it was the women. I don't know. But the point is--attitudes can change, and sometimes it takes a change of scenery.

 

Let's wait until Delgado actually does something wrong in the organization--then we can condemn him to hell...Agreed?

 

:devil

Just wanted to clarify something that many people are confused about. When delgado did not stand for God Bless america, he was NOT protesting the war in Iraq. His sole protest was the weapons testing that the US was undergoing in that little island off Puerto rico. Thats it.

669646[/snapback]

 

 

 

Or at least reserach what you post please.

 

 

No wonder you are such a mis-guided person when it comes to a lot of issues, you have a hard time grasping simple news stories like these.

669656[/snapback]

 

Wow...

 

Even IF the guy made a slip-up that is some ridiculous pent up teenage angst there...

 

What a sad little man.

I posted this in the press conference thread, but thought I should post it here too:

 

Truthfully, I don't have a problem whatsoever with him not standing for "God Bless America". He supports the troops and respects the sacrifice that they make (I've read that in a couple of articles, but can't remember which. The articles both reference correspondences he's had with soldiers, and the support he's shown them.). If someone wants to exercise his/her right to freedom of expression, I for one would not want to take that away. The fact of the matter is that he is aware of what is going on in the world, and most importantly is able to think critically and rationally about it, formulating his own opinion. This is not an athlete that is involved in drug deals and gang feuds. He is a cerebral, polite, and good citizen; he is a bonafide role model. If he wants to express himself, let him embrace his constitutional right and realize that there are much worse things that athletes do that go unquestioned and uncriticized. I welcome him into our community and welcome him as a role model.

I posted this in the press conference thread, but thought I should post it here too:

 

Truthfully, I don't have a problem whatsoever with him not standing for "God Bless America". He supports the troops and respects the sacrifice that they make (I've read that in a couple of articles, but can't remember which. The articles both reference correspondences he's had with soldiers, and the support he's shown them.). If someone wants to exercise his/her right to freedom of expression, I for one would not want to take that away. The fact of the matter is that he is aware of what is going on in the world, and most importantly is able to think critically and rationally about it, formulating his own opinion. This is not an athlete that is involved in drug deals and gang feuds. He is a cerebral, polite, and good citizen; he is a bonafide role model. If he wants to express himself, let him embrace his constitutional right and realize that there are much worse things that athletes do that go unquestioned and uncriticized. I welcome him into our community and welcome him as a role model.

669990[/snapback]

 

Actually, Delgado said he was for the war before he was against it.

 

:cool

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.