January 31, 200521 yr 2003 April-August (Innings 1-87): 87 IP, 1.55 ERA, 0.97 WHIP September (Innings 87-105): 18 IP, 4.00 ERA, 1.11 WHIP 2004 April-August (Innings 1-79.1): 79.1 IP, 2.04 ERA, 1.13 WHIP September/October (Innings 79.1-96.2): 17.1 IP, 7.80 ERA, 1.27 WHIP 200 innings in the last 2 years! Wowza So basically, innings 1-80 he is flat out as good as anyone.. You would have to think as a closer, he would be in the 60-70 IP range on the season.. but also, along with that, will get many more days rest in a row and won't nearly be as overused and worn out down the stretch as he was the last 2 years. Personally, I think he'll be a great closer. Good fastball, sick changeup. Any thoughts?
January 31, 200521 yr Mota will be great as closer, although i dont really want to test him at all by letting him throw 2 innings of relif like armando did from time to time
January 31, 200521 yr Mota will be great as closer, although i dont really want to test him at all by letting him throw 2 innings of relif like armando did from time to time 673074[/snapback] You gotta admit though, it was awesome to see. I think Mota will be a dominant closer. His stuff is nasty, but we gotta keep his innings on the low side. Hopefully he has the mentality for it.
January 31, 200521 yr Good stat. McKeon pointed it out as he struggled at the end of last season. The problem is that he tries to get too tricky with his Gagne-taught changeup. If he's gonna be a good closer, he's got to blow 'em away with the heat. Then, maybe throw in a change when ahead in the count, you know? But he was using the change all the time, and hitters were sitting on it. That was the prob at the end of last year.
January 31, 200521 yr I think as long as he gets his rest and keeps his innings down he will be great, we cant wear him out in the regular season as we need him in the playoffs
January 31, 200521 yr him in the closer role with very few 2-inning stints and hell be fine he has the stuff, he just needs to have that closer mentality
January 31, 200521 yr FishFan, have fun crying on Thursday night when my pack knock around the tarholes, I mean heels
January 31, 200521 yr FishFan, have fun crying on Thursday night when my pack knock around the tarholes, I mean heels 673138[/snapback] haha thats laughable so you are a Pack fan and a Hokie fan? if so that can only mean one thing...you're a redneck
January 31, 200521 yr Actually I am a lifelong Pack fan that goes to Virginia Tech, and call me what you want but I at least know I will make more money then any UNC grad
January 31, 200521 yr I'm loving the ACC basketball hatred. If FSU was good, I would start talking crap, so I'll hold off until Jason Rich and Von Wafer get another year under their belts.
January 31, 200521 yr he will be as good or better than benitez was. hes almost untouchable the first 80 inn or so. he will barely touch that number as a closer. ppl always questioned him as a closer since we lost benitez but ppl failed to realize that he was overworked the last 2 years and will be one of the most dominant closers this year in all of baseball. u dont learn a gagne changeup and have a sick moving fastball and not dominate.
January 31, 200521 yr 2003 April-August (Innings 1-87): 87 IP, 1.55 ERA, 0.97 WHIP September (Innings 87-105): 18 IP, 4.00 ERA, 1.11 WHIP 2004 April-August (Innings 1-79.1): 79.1 IP, 2.04 ERA, 1.13 WHIP September/October (Innings 79.1-96.2): 17.1 IP, 7.80 ERA, 1.27 WHIP 200 innings in the last 2 years! Wowza So basically, innings 1-80 he is flat out as good as anyone.. You would have to think as a closer, he would be in the 60-70 IP range on the season.. but also, along with that, will get many more days rest in a row and won't nearly be as overused and worn out down the stretch as he was the last 2 years. Personally, I think he'll be a great closer. Good fastball, sick changeup. Any thoughts? 673056[/snapback] Do your numbers also suggest an unintended conclusion? I mean if he is good for innings 1-80, then he isnt good after that right? Here are the IP for the top closers last year: Rivera-78.2(74 games) F. Cordero-71.2(67 games) Gagne-82.1 (70 games) Smoltz-81.2 (73 games) Foulke-83(72 games) Benitez-69.2(64 games) Remember, Benitez was out for parts of the year. Had he pitched in as many games as these guys, he prob would have had around 75-80 IPs. Whats my point? I think the top closers pitch more than 60-70 innings in a season. They pitch around 80. So if Mota falls flat after 80, then how reliable will he be in the postseason? I for one think Mota will do well, but lets hope that your numbers dont suggest that he suffers from serious fatigue problems. Remember how ineffective Urbina was in the NLCS and World series.
January 31, 200521 yr great stats Iowa, i think he was really overused as a setup man. but you know jack wont give him more than 70 innings, 80 tops. dominant.
January 31, 200521 yr Flippin A Mota is the best setup man in the game. He doens't know how to close yet. But he'll learn.
January 31, 200521 yr Author 2003 April-August (Innings 1-87): 87 IP, 1.55 ERA, 0.97 WHIP September (Innings 87-105): 18 IP, 4.00 ERA, 1.11 WHIP 2004 April-August (Innings 1-79.1): 79.1 IP, 2.04 ERA, 1.13 WHIP September/October (Innings 79.1-96.2): 17.1 IP, 7.80 ERA, 1.27 WHIP 200 innings in the last 2 years! Wowza So basically, innings 1-80 he is flat out as good as anyone.. You would have to think as a closer, he would be in the 60-70 IP range on the season.. but also, along with that, will get many more days rest in a row? and won't nearly be as overused and worn out down the stretch as he was the last 2 years. Personally, I think he'll be a great closer. Good fastball, sick changeup. Any thoughts? 673056[/snapback] Do your numbers also suggest an unintended conclusion? I mean if he is good for innings 1-80, then he isnt good after that right? Here are the IP for the top closers last year: Rivera-78.2(74 games) F. Cordero-71.2(67 games) Gagne-82.1 (70 games) Smoltz-81.2 (73 games) Foulke-83(72 games) Benitez-69.2(64 games) Remember, Benitez was out for parts of the year. Had he pitched in as many games as these guys, he prob would have had around 75-80 IPs. Whats my point? I think the top closers pitch more than 60-70 innings in a season. They pitch around 80. So if Mota falls flat after 80, then how reliable will he be in the postseason? I for one think Mota will do well, but lets hope that your numbers dont suggest that he suffers from serious fatigue problems. Remember how ineffective Urbina was in the NLCS and World series. 673214[/snapback] I think as a closer you would get more rest between appearances.. For instance, there is a week were he might not even get an appeareance and another week where he would 4-5 appearances. My point is that as a middle releiver, you make more appearances on a regular basis. I think Mota will get his rests.. and it helps we have a guy like Alfonseca who has closing experience who could come in during a 3 or 4 run game in the 9th were as it was Benitez in 3 run games and 4 run games. Basically as a closer, i just think those occasional long breaks between appearances would be good for a guy like Mota... which is why you saw a guy like Rivera still good in the playoffs but a guy like Gordon wear down... just my opinion.
January 31, 200521 yr i have guarded optimism. octavio dotel was the same was as mota. 673237[/snapback] blasphemy!!! :ban
January 31, 200521 yr Author If we make the playoffs, I think it's safe to say he must be doing a pretty good job and we won't have to worry about much.
January 31, 200521 yr If we make the playoffs, I think it's safe to say he must be doing a pretty good job and we won't have to worry about much. 673241[/snapback] But what in tarnation are we supposed to do for the next 6 months, you optomistic man-devil!
January 31, 200521 yr 2003 April-August (Innings 1-87): 87 IP, 1.55 ERA, 0.97 WHIP September (Innings 87-105): 18 IP, 4.00 ERA, 1.11 WHIP 2004 April-August (Innings 1-79.1): 79.1 IP, 2.04 ERA, 1.13 WHIP September/October (Innings 79.1-96.2): 17.1 IP, 7.80 ERA, 1.27 WHIP 200 innings in the last 2 years! Wowza So basically, innings 1-80 he is flat out as good as anyone.. You would have to think as a closer, he would be in the 60-70 IP range on the season.. but also, along with that, will get many more days rest in a row? and won't nearly be as overused and worn out down the stretch as he was the last 2 years. Personally, I think he'll be a great closer. Good fastball, sick changeup. Any thoughts? 673056[/snapback] Do your numbers also suggest an unintended conclusion? I mean if he is good for innings 1-80, then he isnt good after that right? Here are the IP for the top closers last year: Rivera-78.2(74 games) F. Cordero-71.2(67 games) Gagne-82.1 (70 games) Smoltz-81.2 (73 games) Foulke-83(72 games) Benitez-69.2(64 games) Remember, Benitez was out for parts of the year. Had he pitched in as many games as these guys, he prob would have had around 75-80 IPs. Whats my point? I think the top closers pitch more than 60-70 innings in a season. They pitch around 80. So if Mota falls flat after 80, then how reliable will he be in the postseason? I for one think Mota will do well, but lets hope that your numbers dont suggest that he suffers from serious fatigue problems. Remember how ineffective Urbina was in the NLCS and World series. 673214[/snapback] I think as a closer you would get more rest between appearances.. For instance, there is a week were he might not even get an appeareance and another week where he would 4-5 appearances. My point is that as a middle releiver, you make more appearances on a regular basis. I think Mota will get his rests.. and it helps we have a guy like Alfonseca who has closing experience who could come in during a 3 or 4 run game in the 9th were as it was Benitez in 3 run games and 4 run games. Basically as a closer, i just think those occasional long breaks between appearances would be good for a guy like Mota... which is why you saw a guy like Rivera still good in the playoffs but a guy like Gordon wear down... just my opinion. 673234[/snapback] I hope youre right. Youre theory is also backed up by the fact that he did in fact pitch more on average the last two seasons compared with the top closers so he probably did have more innings in between.
January 31, 200521 yr Author I think it's crazy that he has pitched 200 innings in the last 2 years.. more rest and less innings can only be a good thing for him.
January 31, 200521 yr 2003 April-August (Innings 1-87): 87 IP, 1.55 ERA, 0.97 WHIP September (Innings 87-105): 18 IP, 4.00 ERA, 1.11 WHIP 2004 April-August (Innings 1-79.1): 79.1 IP, 2.04 ERA, 1.13 WHIP September/October (Innings 79.1-96.2): 17.1 IP, 7.80 ERA, 1.27 WHIP 200 innings in the last 2 years! Wowza So basically, innings 1-80 he is flat out as good as anyone.. You would have to think as a closer, he would be in the 60-70 IP range on the season.. but also, along with that, will get many more days rest in a row? and won't nearly be as overused and worn out down the stretch as he was the last 2 years. Personally, I think he'll be a great closer. Good fastball, sick changeup. Any thoughts? 673056[/snapback] Do your numbers also suggest an unintended conclusion? I mean if he is good for innings 1-80, then he isnt good after that right? Here are the IP for the top closers last year: Rivera-78.2(74 games) F. Cordero-71.2(67 games) Gagne-82.1 (70 games) Smoltz-81.2 (73 games) Foulke-83(72 games) Benitez-69.2(64 games) Remember, Benitez was out for parts of the year. Had he pitched in as many games as these guys, he prob would have had around 75-80 IPs. Whats my point? I think the top closers pitch more than 60-70 innings in a season. They pitch around 80. So if Mota falls flat after 80, then how reliable will he be in the postseason? I for one think Mota will do well, but lets hope that your numbers dont suggest that he suffers from serious fatigue problems. Remember how ineffective Urbina was in the NLCS and World series. 673214[/snapback] I think as a closer you would get more rest between appearances.. For instance, there is a week were he might not even get an appeareance and another week where he would 4-5 appearances. My point is that as a middle releiver, you make more appearances on a regular basis. I think Mota will get his rests.. and it helps we have a guy like Alfonseca who has closing experience who could come in during a 3 or 4 run game in the 9th were as it was Benitez in 3 run games and 4 run games. Basically as a closer, i just think those occasional long breaks between appearances would be good for a guy like Mota... which is why you saw a guy like Rivera still good in the playoffs but a guy like Gordon wear down... just my opinion. 673234[/snapback] I hope youre right. Youre theory is also backed up by the fact that he did in fact pitch more on average the last two seasons compared with the top closers so he probably did have more innings in between. 673244[/snapback] Come on, now.. Closing and setting up are completely different and require opposing mentalities! As a setup man, Mota knew that he had someone to back him up if he failed (especially with Gagne/Benitez). He probably didn't feel as much pressure. That's why it's a big step from relief to closing. I think he'll find the transition difficult--if not frustrating. My opinion is that he'll do fine. I doubt he'll have an all-star caliber first half, but definitely expect him to do well in the second half, when he's more relaxed, and our team has the best record in baseball. And hey, maybe he can get a few hits in once in a while. He has a vicious bat.
January 31, 200521 yr i have guarded optimism. octavio dotel was the same was as mota. 673237[/snapback] blasphemy!!! :ban 673240[/snapback] for what? not being all over mota's nut sack?
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.