Some interesting stats on Mota

Iowa

April-August (Innings 1-87): 87 IP, 1.55 ERA, 0.97 WHIP

September (Innings 87-105): 18 IP, 4.00 ERA, 1.11 WHIP

April-August (Innings 1-79.1): 79.1 IP, 2.04 ERA, 1.13 WHIP

September/October (Innings 79.1-96.2): 17.1 IP, 7.80 ERA, 1.27 WHIP

200 innings in the last 2 years! Wowza

So basically, innings 1-80 he is flat out as good as anyone.. You would have to think as a closer, he would be in the 60-70 IP range on the season.. but also, along with that, will get many more days rest in a row and won't nearly be as overused and worn out down the stretch as he was the last 2 years.

Personally, I think he'll be a great closer. Good fastball, sick changeup.

Any thoughts?

Mota will be great as closer, although i dont really want to test him at all by letting him throw 2 innings of relif like armando did from time to time

673074[/snapback]

You gotta admit though, it was awesome to see. I think Mota will be a dominant closer. His stuff is nasty, but we gotta keep his innings on the low side. Hopefully he has the mentality for it.

Good stat. McKeon pointed it out as he struggled at the end of last season. The problem is that he tries to get too tricky with his Gagne-taught changeup. If he's gonna be a good closer, he's got to blow 'em away with the heat. Then, maybe throw in a change when ahead in the count, you know? But he was using the change all the time, and hitters were sitting on it. That was the prob at the end of last year.

I'm loving the ACC basketball hatred. If FSU was good, I would start talking crap, so I'll hold off until Jason Rich and Von Wafer get another year under their belts.

he will be as good or better than benitez was.

hes almost untouchable the first 80 inn or so. he will barely touch that number as a closer.

ppl always questioned him as a closer since we lost benitez but ppl failed to realize that he was overworked the last 2 years and will be one of the most dominant closers this year in all of baseball.

u dont learn a gagne changeup and have a sick moving fastball and not dominate.

So basically, innings 1-80 he is flat out as good as anyone.. You would have to think as a closer, he would be in the 60-70 IP range on the season.. but also, along with that, will get many more days rest in a row and won't nearly be as overused and worn out down the stretch as he was the last 2 years.

Any thoughts?

673056[/snapback]

Do your numbers also suggest an unintended conclusion? I mean if he is good for innings 1-80, then he isnt good after that right? Here are the IP for the top closers last year:

Rivera-78.2(74 games)

F. Cordero-71.2(67 games)

Gagne-82.1 (70 games)

Smoltz-81.2 (73 games)

Foulke-83(72 games)

Benitez-69.2(64 games)

Remember, Benitez was out for parts of the year. Had he pitched in as many games as these guys, he prob would have had around 75-80 IPs.

Whats my point? I think the top closers pitch more than 60-70 innings in a season. They pitch around 80. So if Mota falls flat after 80, then how reliable will he be in the postseason?

I for one think Mota will do well, but lets hope that your numbers dont suggest that he suffers from serious fatigue problems. Remember how ineffective Urbina was in the NLCS and World series.

So basically, innings 1-80 he is flat out as good as anyone.. You would have to think as a closer, he would be in the 60-70 IP range on the season.. but also, along with that, will get many more days rest in a row? and won't nearly be as overused and worn out down the stretch as he was the last 2 years.

Any thoughts?

673056[/snapback]

Do your numbers also suggest an unintended conclusion? I mean if he is good for innings 1-80, then he isnt good after that right? Here are the IP for the top closers last year:

Rivera-78.2(74 games)

Gagne-82.1 (70 games)

Smoltz-81.2 (73 games)

Foulke-83(72 games)

Benitez-69.2(64 games)

Remember, Benitez was out for parts of the year. Had he pitched in as many games as these guys, he prob would have had around 75-80 IPs.

Whats my point? I think the top closers pitch more than 60-70 innings in a season. They pitch around 80. So if Mota falls flat after 80, then how reliable will he be in the postseason?

I for one think Mota will do well, but lets hope that your numbers dont suggest that he suffers from serious fatigue problems. Remember how ineffective Urbina was in the NLCS and World series.

673214[/snapback]

I think as a closer you would get more rest between appearances.. For instance, there is a week were he might not even get an appeareance and another week where he would 4-5 appearances. My point is that as a middle releiver, you make more appearances on a regular basis. I think Mota will get his rests.. and it helps we have a guy like Alfonseca who has closing experience who could come in during a 3 or 4 run game in the 9th were as it was Benitez in 3 run games and 4 run games.

Basically as a closer, i just think those occasional long breaks between appearances would be good for a guy like Mota... which is why you saw a guy like Rivera still good in the playoffs but a guy like Gordon wear down... just my opinion.

So basically, innings 1-80 he is flat out as good as anyone.. You would have to think as a closer, he would be in the 60-70 IP range on the season.. but also, along with that, will get many more days rest in a row? and won't nearly be as overused and worn out down the stretch as he was the last 2 years.

Any thoughts?

673056[/snapback]

Rivera-78.2(74 games)

Gagne-82.1 (70 games)

Smoltz-81.2 (73 games)

Foulke-83(72 games)

Benitez-69.2(64 games)

673214[/snapback]

I think as a closer you would get more rest between appearances.. For instance, there is a week were he might not even get an appeareance and another week where he would 4-5 appearances. My point is that as a middle releiver, you make more appearances on a regular basis. I think Mota will get his rests.. and it helps we have a guy like Alfonseca who has closing experience who could come in during a 3 or 4 run game in the 9th were as it was Benitez in 3 run games and 4 run games.

Basically as a closer, i just think those occasional long breaks between appearances would be good for a guy like Mota... which is why you saw a guy like Rivera still good in the playoffs but a guy like Gordon wear down... just my opinion.

673234[/snapback]

I hope youre right. Youre theory is also backed up by the fact that he did in fact pitch more on average the last two seasons compared with the top closers so he probably did have more innings in between.

Any thoughts?

673056[/snapback]

Rivera-78.2(74 games)

Gagne-82.1 (70 games)

Smoltz-81.2 (73 games)

Foulke-83(72 games)

Benitez-69.2(64 games)

673214[/snapback]

673234[/snapback]

I hope youre right. Youre theory is also backed up by the fact that he did in fact pitch more on average the last two seasons compared with the top closers so he probably did have more innings in between.

673244[/snapback]

Come on, now..

Closing and setting up are completely different and require opposing mentalities!

As a setup man, Mota knew that he had someone to back him up if he failed (especially with Gagne/Benitez). He probably didn't feel as much pressure.

That's why it's a big step from relief to closing. I think he'll find the transition difficult--if not frustrating. My opinion is that he'll do fine. I doubt he'll have an all-star caliber first half, but definitely expect him to do well in the second half, when he's more relaxed, and our team has the best record in baseball.

And hey, maybe he can get a few hits in once in a while. He has a vicious bat.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.