Bonds gets his 'roid soaked knee cleaned up

Guest Moneyball

Guest Moneyball

Bonds has 'minor arthritis cleanup'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO -- Barry Bonds is expected to miss much of spring training following arthroscopic surgery Monday on his right knee, but the San Francisco Giants slugger should recover in plenty of time to resume his chase of Hank Aaron's home run record in April.

The seven-time NL MVP had a "minor arthritis cleanup," the Giants said in statement. Dr. Arthur Ting also repaired a small tear in Bonds' meniscus.

Giants trainer Stan Conte expects Bonds to return for at least the final two weeks of spring training, and the 40-year-old should be back to full strength before opening day.

"It's not a situation where I'm concerned for him," Conte said. "It doesn't take him long to get ready. ... It's good for him not to wear himself out during spring training, which he does sometimes."

Bonds often tires of the day-to-day grind of spring training, both mentally and physically, and his rehabilitation might even provide a respite. Bonds, who had a similar surgery on his left knee in October, will begin rehab Tuesday.

He will report to Scottsdale, Ariz., along with the Giants' pitchers and catchers on Feb. 17, but will concentrate on his six-week rehab program until mid-March.

Conte said Bonds' knees have responded well to similar arthroscopic operations and that Bonds has "a very youthful body for his age."

"He recovers well," Conte said. "You never know when age is going to be an issue, but this surgery was not extensive."

Bonds' knee showed signs of arthritis during a similar operation in 1999, but this surgery revealed less trouble than the Giants feared. Bonds first complained of pain in his right knee last week.

Bonds finished last season with 703 career homers, trailing only Aaron (755) and Babe Ruth (714).

He also became the oldest player in major league history to win an MVP award. Bonds hit .362 to win his second NL batting title in three seasons and shattered the major league record with a .609 on-base percentage, topping the previous mark of .582 he set two years ago.

He walked 232 times, 34 more than the previous record he set in 2002 and more than 100 better than anyone else in baseball this season. His 120 intentional walks obliterated the old mark of 68 that he had set in 2002.

Lets just pray for the love of preserving the greatest record in all of sports that the doctor screwed up and Bonds starts having a string of knee injuries that force him into retirement.

For that matter lets pray he doesn't pass the Babe.

Guest Moneyball

you probably need to grow up

673871[/snapback]

Whats with you and telling people to grow up?

I just don't want a cheating rascist scum bag dethroning Hank Aaron. This record means a lot. Sorry for having an opinion.

673871[/snapback]

I just don't want a cheating rascist scum bag dethroning Hank Aaron. This record means a lot. Sorry for having an opinion.

673876[/snapback]

I completley agree with you sir. :thumbup

673871[/snapback]

673876[/snapback]

hearing haters like you is going to make it even more sweeter when he passes Ruth and then Aaron.

To me Babe Ruth is baseball...

I like Hank Aaron he was a great hitter and a stand up person...

Barry Bonds is an A**hole and as a person doesnt deserve anything..

But Barry Bonds the baseball player is fun to watch and will go down as one of the greatest players to ever set foot on the Diamond,I will miss seeing Aaron's and the Babes's name at the top of the list but make no mistake,Barry Bonds the Baseball player does deserve the record and it will be great for baseball when he brakes both records cause people are gonna go out to the ball parks and will also be pasted to there t.v.'s to see the record braking Hr's...

Guest Moneyball

I see who is the true racist from your remarks marlinfan. Aside from that why should personality or some other innane and NON-athletic category determine if someone is worthy to break a record?

674336[/snapback]

Just because I don't want him to break the record automatically makes me a rascist? Give me a break. He used steroids that alone makes him unworthy to break the home run record.

I see who is the true racist from your remarks marlinfan. Aside from that why should personality or some other innane and NON-athletic category determine if someone is worthy to break a record?

674336[/snapback]

He sure can have the opinion that he wouldnt want someone who has contradicting view points and what he deems a bad personality to not break the record.

Thats very vaild.

I see who is the true racist from your remarks marlinfan.? Aside from that why should personality or some other innane and NON-athletic category determine if someone is worthy to break a record?

674336[/snapback]

What are you talking about?

I am not even in San Fran nor do I read up on the Giants or Bonds with any frequency at all, yet I've still seen more than one example of Bonds showing some subtle feelings of racial animosity toward white people

1) (A classic) He said that Roger Clemens gets away with a lot more because he's white. (This coming from a guy that can take days off whenever he wants and that pampering probably cost his team a shot at the playoffs this last season...also not to mention that he has his own wing in the Giants Locker room...)

2) His saying that he didn't want to hear about Babe Ruth anymore and that when he broke his record he wanted him to be forgotten. He said a year ago that 714 was his number to break, he didn't care about breaking Aaron's as much or sure hasn't shown the same passion for it that's for sure.

3) (The best: This one can only cement his paranoia that no doubt underlies racial animosity) He calls the whole city of Boston racist, of course adding afterward that he had never stepped foot in Boston. Oh and that his opinion was based on the comments of a couple of people whose ties with Boston are now long outdated.

4) (Just hilarious) During the grand jury testimony, one line of questioning went into Anderson's money problems to which the investigator asked if he was such a good friend why didn't you help him out financially, you were making 17 million. To which he responded something to the effect that as a black man he couldn't afford to give up a penny in this society especially not to a white guy.

He should and will go to the HOF, but come on if you don't think he has some racial beef you have to crazy.

My daddy played big league ball, made huge money, I got a silver-spoon upbringing yet I'm a white-hating wannabe thugged out low-life and a girly talking ball-shrunken cheater who has never been black as I see being black.

But Barry Bonds the baseball player is fun to watch and will go down as one of the greatest players to ever set foot on the Diamond,I will miss seeing Aaron's and the Babes's name at the top of the list but make no mistake,Barry Bonds the Baseball player does deserve the record and it will be great for baseball when he brakes both records cause people are gonna go out to the ball parks and will also be pasted to there t.v.'s to see the record braking Hr's...

674240[/snapback]

Great post... You don't have to like Bonds as a person to appreciate what he's done for the game.

50 years from now, nobody will care that Bonds was no Mother Theresa. We know now that players like Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb were asses, but it doesn't diminish the way we view them as players.

And everyone needs to get over the whole "He cheated thing". Any substance he used was not banned by MLB when he used it. To say he cheated, you have to turn around and say McGwire cheated as well.

Bonds will pass Hank Aaron whether Bonds haters like it or not...

674240[/snapback]

Great post... You don't have to like Bonds as a person to appreciate what he's done for the game.

50 years from now, nobody will care that Bonds was no Mother Theresa. We know now that players like Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb were asses, but it doesn't diminish the way we view them as players.

And everyone needs to get over the whole "He cheated thing". Any substance he used was not banned by MLB when he used it. To say he cheated, you have to turn around and say McGwire cheated as well.

Bonds will pass Hank Aaron whether Bonds haters like it or not...

674631[/snapback]

What he used were steriods, whatever legal status those particular drugs had or even more to the point no matter what drugs MLB banned at that time is irrelevant to people's respect for Bonds.

His records are tainted because he used steriods, he wouldn't have come close to these outrageous numbers at this point in his career without those steriods, that is a fact.

Oh and Giambi injected himself with illegal steroids in the arse yet he didn't get caught by those really really stringent MLB tests...

Who cares about technicalities? This guy used roids and benefited GREATLY from it. Rewarding a player by using substances that are understood to hurt your health is BS

50 years from now, Bonds and his records will forever be linked and rightly so with the juice. He didn't make it any less likely by being a prick, and I'm happy for that because now he can carry that asterisk in sports books that make reference to him.

I have no problem with Bonds being an azz as far as it concerns his place in baseball lore. Cobb was a horrible person, Ruth wasn't exactly a saint himself but no one thinks Bonds records should be tainted because of his personality, his records are tainted because he cheated, he used a substance that was indeed a steroid. This isn't some over the counter crap...it's not even comparable to McGwire, this thing tangibly increases your muscle mass inhumanely with health risks on the same level with every other illegal and banned substance. Pulling out the technicality card is just pure homerism, immoral and outright stupid.

What he used were steriods, whatever legal status those particular drugs had or even more to the point no matter what drugs MLB banned at that time is irrelevant to people's respect for Bonds.

His records are tainted because he used steriods, he wouldn't have come close to these outrageous numbers at this point in his career without those steriods, that is a fact.

Oh and Giambi injected himself with illegal steroids in the arse yet he didn't get caught by those really really stringent MLB tests...

Who cares about technicalities? This guy used roids and benefited GREATLY from it. Rewarding a player by using substances that are understood to hurt your health is BS

50 years from now, Bonds and his records will forever be linked and rightly so with the juice. He didn't make it any less likely by being a prick, and I'm happy for that because now he can carry that asterisk in sports books that make reference to him.

I have no problem with Bonds being an azz as far as it concerns his place in baseball lore. Cobb was a horrible person, Ruth wasn't exactly a saint himself but no one thinks Bonds records should be tainted because of his personality, his records are tainted because he cheated, he used a substance that was indeed a steroid. This isn't some over the counter crap...it's not even comparable to McGwire, this thing tangibly increases your muscle mass inhumanely with health risks on the same level with every other illegal and banned substance. Pulling out the technicality card is just pure homerism, immoral and outright stupid.

674666[/snapback]

Dr. Cobaincola... I see you are still at it with the name calling.... Good for you !!

Anyways, the only record books that will contain asteriks next to Bonds records are the ones that you buy and add it with your magic markers. There will be no asteriks.

His records are tainted because he used steriods, he wouldn't have come close to these outrageous numbers at this point in his career without those steriods, that is a fact.?

Who cares about technicalities?? This guy used roids and benefited GREATLY from it.? Rewarding a player by using substances that are understood to hurt your health is BS

50 years from now, Bonds and his records will forever be linked and rightly so with the juice.? He didn't make it any less likely by being a prick, and I'm happy for that because now he can carry that asterisk in sports books that make reference to him.

I have no problem with Bonds being an azz as far as it concerns his place in baseball lore.? Cobb was a horrible person, Ruth wasn't exactly a saint himself but no one thinks Bonds records should be tainted because of his personality, his records are tainted because he cheated, he used a substance that was indeed a steroid.? This isn't some over the counter crap...it's not even comparable to McGwire, this thing tangibly increases your muscle mass inhumanely with health risks on the same level with every other illegal and banned substance.? Pulling out the technicality card is just pure homerism, immoral and outright stupid.

674666[/snapback]

Dr. Cobaincola... I see you are still at it with the name calling.... Good for you !!

Anyways, the only record books that will contain asteriks next to Bonds records are the ones that you buy and add it with your magic markers. There will be no asteriks.

674713[/snapback]

Dr. Homer, nice well thoughout argument

If you don't think there will be a footnote next to his place in any sports book you are living in some fantasy land.

But then again you thought he never did Roids.

I can't believe you think those records are earned the right way. Do you actually condone putting steroids into your body to get an edge? He won't suffer any legal or MLB action but you honestly think it's ok to inject yourself with stuff that is equivalent in health risks and inhumane muscle growth as every single banned steroid? The fact that Conte developed a new undetectable version doesn't make what he did right. They cheated the system.

He made you look an idiot for trying to defend him in the first place...you think you'd learn by now before he does it again.

I'm still waiting for that article on how Bonds said in the grand jury testimony that he never took steroids.

His records are tainted because he used steriods, he wouldn't have come close to these outrageous numbers at this point in his career without those steriods, that is a fact.?

Who cares about technicalities?? This guy used roids and benefited GREATLY from it.? Rewarding a player by using substances that are understood to hurt your health is BS

50 years from now, Bonds and his records will forever be linked and rightly so with the juice.? He didn't make it any less likely by being a prick, and I'm happy for that because now he can carry that asterisk in sports books that make reference to him.

I have no problem with Bonds being an azz as far as it concerns his place in baseball lore.? Cobb was a horrible person, Ruth wasn't exactly a saint himself but no one thinks Bonds records should be tainted because of his personality, his records are tainted because he cheated, he used a substance that was indeed a steroid.? This isn't some over the counter crap...it's not even comparable to McGwire, this thing tangibly increases your muscle mass inhumanely with health risks on the same level with every other illegal and banned substance.? Pulling out the technicality card is just pure homerism, immoral and outright stupid.

674666[/snapback]

674713[/snapback]

If you don't think there will be a footnote next to his place in any sports book you are living in some fantasy land.

I can't believe you think those records are earned the right way. Do you actually condone putting steroids into your body to get an edge? He won't suffer any legal or MLB action but you honestly think it's ok to inject yourself with stuff that is equivalent in health risks and inhumane muscle growth as every single banned steroid? The fact that Conte developed a new undetectable version doesn't make what he did right. They cheated the system.

He made you look an idiot for trying to defend him in the first place...you think you'd learn by now before he does it again.

I'm still waiting for that article on how Bonds said in the grand jury testimony that he never took steroids.

675101[/snapback]

what difference does it make whether or not he took steroids?

1. Steroids or no steroids, he is far and away the best in baseball.

2. At the time he (alledgedly) took it, it wasn't against the rules so it wasn't cheating

3. most players take steroids or something similar

4. THG isn't even steroids

5. If steroids really help so much, why is Marvin Benard so crappy? Armando RIos? Bobby Estalella? JEremy Giambi? I could go on for days listing players who took it who obviously haven't been helped by using it

There will be no asterisk, and future generation won't even know about this controversy

Guest Moneyball

674666[/snapback]

674713[/snapback]

675101[/snapback]

2. At the time he (alledgedly) took it, it wasn't against the rules so it wasn't cheating

5. If steroids really help so much, why is Marvin Benard so crappy? Armando RIos? Bobby Estalella? JEremy Giambi? I could go on for days listing players who took it who obviously haven't been helped by using it

There will be no asterisk, and future generation won't even know about this controversy

675169[/snapback]

Clarification, he isn't the best player in baseball, he's the best HITTER in baseball.

The period from 1987-2003 will be known as the Steroid Era years from now. Just like there is Dead Ball Era. To deny that this is what will happen is just plain stupidity and homerism.

674666[/snapback]

674713[/snapback]

675101[/snapback]

675169[/snapback]

Clarification, he isn't the best player in baseball, he's the best HITTER in baseball.

The period from 1987-2003 will be known as the Steroid Era years from now. Just like there is Dead Ball Era. To deny that this is what will happen is just plain stupidity and homerism.

675205[/snapback]

tell me, how many people know about the amphedamine controversy of the 70's? All the crack scandals are slowly fading out of people's memory. How many people know that Babe Ruth used a cork bat? Exactly.

674666[/snapback]

674713[/snapback]

675101[/snapback]

675169[/snapback]

1. You're an idiot. He wasn't nearly as good off the roids, like it or not you just need to look at his stats. His accomplishments including 4 MVPs, and the single season HR record are a product of his using steroids.

2. You are sad. I already adressed this in a previous post, if you think it's right for an individual to take a substance equivalent in effects (and health risks) as those banned by MLB and the law just because some scientist uncovered a new way of hiding the effects of that drug then you are a sad immoral sack of s*** as is Bonds.

3. Most players take steriods? LMAO...wow...this solidifies how stupid you are. Only a brief while ago despite all the evidence in the world, you persisted in saying that Bonds wasn't guilty of steroid charges. Now that he is a roid head you've changed your stance to argue that the majority of players use it without any type of evidence? I knew you were a homer, but atleast try hard to reason within the lines of logic.

4. The Clear and The Cream are essentially steroids, they do to your body everything that roids do. They are harmful and provide inhumane amounts of muscle mass.

5. You're an idiot. Jeremy Giambi was helped by steriods, but as many experts have stated the effect of steriods are maximized in athletes who obviously are the best at their game. If you can't hit a curve, all the inhumane muscle mass isn't going to teach you how to hit the curve. If you don't workout all that muscle mass is going to fade very fast. Bonds has both things going for him, he's already a great player and he works out rigorously so if anyone could benefit most from roids it'd be someone like him. As far as Benard, he obviously gained alot of power from 99 to 01. For a person that likes Bill James why don't you look at James' career trends and extrapolate what Barry's numbers would have been had he not used steriods. HOF surely, but nothing close to what they are now, definitely 4 MVPs shorter. His last few seasons are a product of his steroid use.

There isn't going to be an official asterisk you moron, but obviously if the single season HR king was involved in a steroid scandal during the time he broke the record and during which time he won 4 consecutive MVP awards that is obviously going to stick to his legacy you stupid s***.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.