Possible Encarnacion Solution

PitchingWinsGames

ESPN's Peter Gammons recently said that the Astro's are interested in acquiring Mike Cameron of the Mets, but would need to involve a 3rd team because the Mets would want a corner outfielder in return, so maybe the Marlins could move Encarnacion to the Mets --> Cameron to the Astros --> Prospects or Players to the Marlins, and this should be a low risk move for the Marlins, especially since most of the fans are apathetic to Encarnacion in general...

ESPN's Peter Gammons recently said that the Astro's are interested in acquiring Mike Cameron of the Mets, but would need to involve a 3rd team because the Mets would want a corner outfielder in return, so maybe the Marlins could move Encarnacion to the Mets --> Cameron to the Astros --> Prospects or Players to the Marlins, and this should be a low risk move for the Marlins, especially since most of the fans are apathetic to Encarnacion in general...

689285[/snapback]

No, we're not helping the Mets out, not under any circumstances.

If they were a bad team with no expectations, then fine, deal with them, but when they're a team who could potentially threaten us, we don't want to make it any easier.

Personally, I don't think Encarnacion will be traded unless he's part of something "big" (IE, Sheets or Zito where we have to take a bad contract back in addition to giving up prospects). Conine's health is way up in the air, and neither he nor Conine seem to overwhelmingly scream for the starting job in right field. I mean, I can think of arguments in favor of either of them starting.

He's going to be here through at least S.T....

689285[/snapback]

If they were a bad team with no expectations, then fine, deal with them, but when they're a team who could potentially threaten us, we don't want to make it any easier.

Personally, I don't think Encarnacion will be traded unless he's part of something "big" (IE, Sheets or Zito where we have to take a bad contract back in addition to giving up prospects). Conine's health is way up in the air, and neither he nor Conine seem to overwhelmingly scream for the starting job in right field. I mean, I can think of arguments in favor of either of them starting.

689288[/snapback]

How does that help the Mets? Trading Cameron for Encarnacion?

If it means that we'd have available money that will allow us the possibility of trading for a top tier relief pitcher near the deadline then we should do it. Encarnacion has absolutely no trade value, we'd have to atleast give up the same quality of prospects if we wanted to land a stop starter later in the season if not more to counteract his salary.

689285[/snapback]

689288[/snapback]

If it means that we'd have available money that will allow us the possibility of trading for a top tier relief pitcher near the deadline then we should do it. Encarnacion has absolutely no trade value, we'd have to atleast give up the same quality of prospects if we wanted to land a stop starter later in the season if not more to counteract his salary.

689297[/snapback]

It gets a pissed off Mike Cameron out of the clubhouse, gives them a guy (Encarnacion) who is expected to be 100% by opening day (unlike Cameron who isn't expected to be back until May), plus a Gold-Glove caliber right fielder, Cameron has yet to play right and nothing says he's a sure fire Gold Glover over there.

Not to mention, they actually shave close to $2 million off their payroll this season, and close to $9 million overall doing Encarnacion for Cameron.

I'd call that help.

No one wants Encarnacion!!! His OBP combined with his salary at nearly 5 million = no one wants him!!

If he has a good spring, and proves his stats from last year were in fact a result of his injury, then maybe, towards the end of the spring, he will get some trade interest, but mos def not now.

689303[/snapback]

If he has a good spring, he's going to win the starting job, not earn a trade out of town.

He's on a ONE YEAR DEAL people, no need to actively try to dump him when he is the best defensive outfielder we have.

No one wants Encarnacion!!! His OBP combined with his salary at nearly 5 million = no one wants him!!

If he has a good spring, and proves his stats from last year were in fact a result of his injury, then maybe, towards the end of the spring, he will get some trade interest, but mos def not now.

689303[/snapback]

If he has a good spring, he's going to win the starting job, not earn a trade out of town.

He's on a ONE YEAR DEAL people, no need to actively try to dump him when he is the best defensive outfielder we have.

689313[/snapback]

Not to mention the only one who can play centerfield if in case JP were to go down.(not sure if Aguila can play center)

Trading Enc now does something I would like to see. It allows Willingham to play. I believe, but Im not sure, that he can play RF too correct? But if Im mistaken about that, then its not worth giving up the depth and injury security we have now.

689305[/snapback]

well he can certainly play left :mischief

I dont think he has played right yet

Aguila can and has played CF. He's going to be valuable on the Bench for many situations.

If JP went down for an extended period, I would chose Enc for CF.

Won't it be something if Enc finally plays up to his talent this year.

But, if an honest trade came up for Enc, I have no problem with Aguila as the back-up OF.

Seriously, Eric is an out machine. His numbers don't even convey how untimely his hits are...I'd take a 60% Niner and Aguila anyday over this guy. Let's trade him for some miller light and free up some cap space for a mid-season pick-up.

689361[/snapback]

ENC's shoulder was injured all of last season, he had surgery this offseason and will be back to 100% by opening day, he could very likely have a breakout season this year and drive in another 90 RBI if his shoulder is feeling good.

Seriously, Eric is an out machine. His numbers don't even convey how untimely his hits are...I'd take a 60% Niner and Aguila anyday over this guy. Let's trade him for some miller light and free up some cap space for a mid-season pick-up.

689361[/snapback]

ENC's shoulder was injured all of last season, he had surgery this offseason and will be back to 100% by opening day, he could very likely have a breakout season this year and drive in another 90 RBI if his shoulder is feeling good.

What about his other s***ty seasons? I'm baffled by the Enc homerism.

689369[/snapback]

You mean the one in 2003 where he drove in 90 runs? Or perhaps you're talking about the one in 2002 where he hit 24 homers and drove in 85? I'm baffled by your ability to ignore the facts.

When he is healthy, he is a solid major leaguer, by no means is he worth the money he's being paid, but he's still a solid contributor and with an offense of Lo Duca protecting Lowell protecting Delgado protecting Cabrera protecting Castillo, there is no immediate need to go out and try to acquire a power hitting right fielder.

Sure, it would be nice to dump his salary considering we just gave Delgado the richest contract in franchise history and i'd love to see Niner get the starting job just as much as any other Marlins fan , but you're acting like it's the end of the world and we'll finish in last place if we keep him.

Conine wasn't healthy at all last year either and he still managed to hit .280.

A solid MLB player? Could have fooled me! A guy who has an embarrassing OBP.. along with close to being dead last in the MAJORS in productive out %.

God.. using Encs 2003 season of 94 RBIs is getting so old. (especially when Conine had 95 RBIs that season)

It still wasn't a good season. Put ANYONE with ANY offensive talent in Enc's position and they would have had well over 100 RBIs.

Quit using RBI totals as a stat to judge a persons talent

689285[/snapback]

689288[/snapback]

689297[/snapback]

It gets a pissed off Mike Cameron out of the clubhouse, gives them a guy (Encarnacion) who is expected to be 100% by opening day (unlike Cameron who isn't expected to be back until May), plus a Gold-Glove caliber right fielder, Cameron has yet to play right and nothing says he's a sure fire Gold Glover over there.

Not to mention, they actually shave close to $2 million off their payroll this season, and close to $9 million overall doing Encarnacion for Cameron.

I'd call that help.

689310[/snapback]

Encarnacion is a good defensive outfielder, that's it. Cameron has two gold gloves playing a more demanding outfield position. To think that he would be able to walk a few feet over and and continue to perform as a great oufielder is hardly a stretch. He's a better hitter than Encarnacion and money is hardly an issue with the Mets.

We have alot more to gain than the Mets is what I'm saying. If we dump Encarnacion we free up some money that might be a factor in triggering a deal during the middle of the season for a top tier relief pitcher or another starter.

Plus Encarnacion has hardly any trade value, thinking we can save him and them ship him elsewhere for a player like Sheets or Zito in a package is just funny. You take Encarnacion out of the equation and you would probably have to give up less minor league talent.

Anybody who watched any Marlins games over the past few years breathed a HUGE sigh of relief when we ALLOWED this black hole in the 7th slot to leave our team for what many considered the WORST FA signing the dodgers have made in a bit....and they regretted it so much that they didn't even wait a full year to see how he'd fit in their lineup....I mean, does ANYONE think that Beinfest actually requested that this guy was included in the Lo Duca deal...We HAD to take his salary...he's a bum. And if he actually does anything this year, I'll gladly eat my hat - because it'll mean that I'll have to buy a 2005 Marlins World Series Champs hat anyway.

689285[/snapback]

689288[/snapback]

689297[/snapback]

I'd call that help.

689310[/snapback]

Encarnacion is a good defensive outfielder, that's it. Cameron has two gold gloves playing a more demanding outfield position. To think that he would be able to walk a few feet over and and continue to perform as a great oufielder is hardly a stretch. He's a better hitter than Encarnacion and money is hardly an issue with the Mets.

We have alot more to gain than the Mets is what I'm saying. If we dump Encarnacion we free up some money that might be a factor in triggering a deal during the middle of the season for a top tier relief pitcher or another starter.

Plus Encarnacion has hardly any trade value, thinking we can save him and them ship him elsewhere for a player like Sheets or Zito in a package is just funny. You take Encarnacion out of the equation and you would probably have to give up less minor league talent.

689396[/snapback]

A few things, one money is an issue with the Mets (see: Delgado, Carlos), and if they had Cameron's contract off their hands (or simply a lesser bad contract), they'd have more in season wiggle room to add some players (a Zito-Peterson reunion?).

Two, if Cabrera is serviceable in left, and awful in right, then assuming a flawless position change with any outfielder (not to mention one who won't have spring training to adjust) isn't that much of a stretch. Hell, if Cameron is complaining enough to want a trade to a team where he can play center (not even a contending team), you have to admit it does raise at least a few questions about his perceived difficulty of a position change.

Three, I never suggested that Encarnacion would be the key to acquiring any player of consequence, but his presence in the deal as a way for a team to dump a bad contract on us for a lesser and shorter contract could be a key. I mean, for the sake of argument, the Rockies would gladly dump a contract of the magnitude of Preston Wilson or Helton on us (or any team) that would exchange a "less-bad" contract and a prospect or two.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.