NHL to un-cancel season!

Junior

Maybe if that geek Gary Bettman hadn't been so damn hard-headed on his "$42.5 million take it or leave it" line a couple of days back, this deal could have been finished, thus avoiding the embarrassment of cancelling the season in the first place.

I'll be happy when it's officially signed and I hear the first strains of the HNIC theme.

If you say you're going to cancel the season, and call a press conference to announce it to all your fans, then you better damn well mean it. Thanks for completely using us fans as a negotiating tactic. The NHL sucks ass, period. Nothing against hockey, for all you ice hockey fans, but the NHL can blow me. Worst of all, we're stuck paying for tickets this year, but we're definitely cancelling after the season. Talk about s***ting on your fanbase.

I'm starting to think the announcement of Wednesday was nothing more than a brilliantly thought out move by Bettman to send the players union in dissaray. Especially their leader Goodenow.

The owners don't need to play. For 90 % of them, this is nothing more than a 2nd or 3rd or 4th business or a hobby.

The players need to play...it's what they do. Some have made some decent $ in Europe, but it is still nowhere near what they make in the NHL. When the 2 sides got close on Sunday and Monday, the players really thought a deal would get done. Once it was cancelled, many wondered what they could do to help solve the problem? Goodenow hasn't really led this union well through all of this and the players now seem to be tossing him aside to get this done. The fact that Mario and Gretz are coming into this is huge.

Hopefully they get this deal signed (I miss my Habs, damnit), get some new rules in there and the game can somehow enjoy a mini re-birth in the USA.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD JESUS CHRIST (and im not even christian) HOLY f***ING s*** GOFMGOFMGFOMGF HOLLLLLLLLYY CRAP *HAS HEART ATTACK*

OH MY GOD.

I was hearing rumors about this earlier today, but I never thought much of it because there have been so many rumors I just don't even know what to believe anymore, I am so surprised this actually happened.

There are going to be many changes to the game, for starters, if a game is still tied after a 5 minute 4-on-4 OT period, the game will go to a shootout rather than end in a tie. It sucks when you pay $75 bucks for a ticket for a game to end in a 1-1 tie, kudos to the NHL for adding the shootout. Many hockey purists are against it, but it's a great addition. Also, goalies will be limited to playing the puck and tag-up offsides will be added.

All of the above has been confirmed, but it's also rumored that the NHL will add no-touch icing and also do away with the red line and eliminate the two line pass rule, but these aren't confirmed yet.

Now all we've got to do is put a strict size limit on goalie pads and get refs to actually enforce the rules and we'll be seeing some quality hockey :thumbup

wait

shootout!?!

*dies*

689792[/snapback]

Yup :thumbup .

No more boring 1-1 ties.

Now the NHL just needs to take the tennis rackets off of the goalies catching hand and put a 10" restriction on leg pags.

BTW, you guys can thank Lemieux and Gretzky, they're the ones behind all of this and put the pressure on to get the deal done. Gretzky has saved hockey time and time again, the man is a god!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.