4/8 Nationals vs Marlins---7:35et---at the PRO

Ramp

Yahoo! Sports Game Preview

The Washington Nationals aren't the team they were in Montreal last season.

They'll try to prove it to Dontrelle Willis and the Florida Marlins as they open a three-game series at Pro Player Stadium.

The Nationals, who moved to Washington after 36 years in Montreal, collected 40 hits en route to taking two of three at Philadelphia to open the season. Jose Vidro homered in the 10th inning Thursday as the Nationals capped the series with a 5-4 victory.

The Nationals, who are tied atop the division with Atlanta, finished with the league's second-lowest batting average (.249) in 2004.

``That was a big game for us to win. It gets us over .500,'' said Nationals manager Frank Robinson, who led the Expos to a last-place finish in the NL East last season.

``We win the first series of the season. That's what we want to try to do -- win series. If we do that, we are going to be all right.

``It's a nice start to the season.''

Brad Wilkerson went 4-for-5 with an RBI on Thursday, a day after hitting for the cycle. He is hitting .643 (9-for-14) with a home run and three RBIs this season. Vinny Castilla was 6-for-8 (.750) with two RBIs before an 0-for-5 effort Thursday.

``We may not have a lot of big guys that could carry a club for a long period of time, but all eight guys are tough outs,'' Washington interim general manager Jim Bowden said. ``An opposing pitcher doesn't look at our guys and say they can get them out.''

The Expos got off to a 2-11 start last season, getting shut out six times in April. The Marlins beat Montreal in five of six meetings during that stretch, including four shutout victories. Willis, who makes his season debut for Florida on Friday, accounted for two of them.

Though Willis' numbers dipped last season, a year after going 14-6 with a 3.30 ERA and winning the NL Rookie of the Year award, he was 3-1 with a 1.75 ERA in four starts against the Expos.

The left-hander had a 17 2-3 scoreless innings streak against Montreal before giving up two earned runs in a 6-2 road loss on July 24.

Wilkerson is 0-for-14 career against Willis with three walks and eight strikeouts.

After beating the Braves 9-0 in their season opener Tuesday, the Marlins dropped two straight, including Thursday's 4-2 defeat.

Miguel Cabrera and Alex Gonzalez each drove in a run for Florida.

Guest Moneyball

Your title is wrong, the stadium in now called Dolphins Stadium.

EVERYBODY DO THE FISH!!!!!

733997[/snapback]

I hope your father the attorney doesn't sue the site. :plain

::bangs cowbell until the termination of the thread::

actually it hink he got it right, after years of being pissed off because it changed from joe robbie to the pro, i think we've grown accustomed to it, and i'm not calling it 'dolphins' stadium, i won't have anything to do with huyzinger :censored