April 29, 200521 yr Is anyone starting to grow concerned about Mike Lowell? He's batting .187 with only 2 HR's in the month of April. I really expected him to break out of this by now. I'm starting to wonder if there are any hidden injury problems. I saw that McKeon dropped him to the seventh spot in the order. I'm not sure if that is the anwer. I just don't remember him ever slumping like this before. I hope he hasn't hit the wall, but at age 31, I doubt that is it. And I hope it's not an injury.
April 29, 200521 yr lots of very good players are struggling right now Eric Chavez .181 Andruw Jones .207 Vernon Wells .207 Victor Martinez .200 Richard Hidalgo .173 Nomar .157(I realize he is out)
April 29, 200521 yr Let me add to that list: Jorge Posada(.240) Jim Thome(.205, 1 HR!) Jeff Bagwell(.232) Phil Nevin(.224) Steve Finley(.165)
April 29, 200521 yr Lowell was very inconsistent last year, but admittedly not a bad as he has been this April: 2004 BA April .314 May .373 June .236 July .301 August .221 September .308 October .375 His slumps tend to be extensive. What is worrisome is he usually starts out the year hot, and then struggles during the dog days of summer. 2003-2005 BA April .327 May .312 June .266 July .272 August .199 September .308 October .375 If he struggles again this summer we're looking at Mike substantially underperforming his contract this year.
April 29, 200521 yr Lowell was very inconsistent last year, but admittedly not a bad as he has been this April: 2004 BA April .314 May .373 June .236 July .301 August .221 September .308 October .375 His slumps tend to be extensive. What is worrisome is he usually starts out the year hot, and then struggles during the dog days of summer. 2003-2005 BA April .327 May .312 June .266 July .272 August .199 September .308 October .375 If he struggles again this summer we're looking at Mike substantially underperforming his contract this year. 757864[/snapback] If that showed a consistent pattern of a second half falloff that Id be concerned. But what those numbers show me is that Lowell goes through stretches that last a month at a time of not hitting the ball and then lights it up. The fact that sometimes he struggles in June, recovers in July, then struggles in August, then picks it up in September says he it isnt anything serious. I think he is just hitting a struggle stretch right now and will tear it up later.
April 30, 200521 yr I dont think its that big of a deal yet. The biggest name that was mentioned above was Thome. You know he wont stay horrible for long, and neither will Lowell.
April 30, 200521 yr Think positive. If he's cold right now, maybe when someone else cools down, Mikey will get hot.
April 30, 200521 yr Think positive. If he's cold right now, maybe when someone else cools down, Mikey will get hot. 758416[/snapback] lets hope so
April 30, 200521 yr Author I don't see how that should make anyone feel any better. Just because a handful of major league stars are not hitting well, does not make it easier to swallow that Lowell is batting .187. That doesn't make it okay.
April 30, 200521 yr Lowell is had a hard hit line drive over the Center fielder. Looks like the old Mike there. I noticed something about his batting stance he never used to do last year. Now he crutches up and gets way to low while batting. He used to bat more straight. I think thats whats causing it.....he cant see the pitches well like that.
April 30, 200521 yr Lowell is slowly coming out of it and every game over the past week he's been making solid contact and has been hitting hard line drives. It's only a matter of time before he explodes.
April 30, 200521 yr Lowell has hit in 7 of his last 8 games. He is slowly coming out. Its called a batting AVG because they average all the ABs for the year, not just in April. He'll be fine. I think Jack will soon move him up in the order for a game or two, boosting his confidence a bit.
April 30, 200521 yr Lowell got off to a fast start last year in Philly, with his 3HR game. He hit the ball well last night and he has two more games in this stadium.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.