What to do with Leiter......

Brandman316

Al Leiter has been the worst Starting Pitcher on our team, in my opinion. I was't expecting great things from this guy being that he is well past his prime and everything, but didn't think it would come to this. Ya hes on a new team, but that excuse can only go so far because the guy is facing very familiar batters because he was in the NL East with the Mets. He has helped a lot off the field with our young guys, but Al has really been struggling with his control out there. Now I still know it is early and he should be given more and more starts, BUT if this continues, what are the Marlins going to do??? If this was some less-known guy out there, people would be going crazy here about how he is pitching. Just because Al Leiter had a great career here doesn't mean he will continue to do that again..............

Now heres a scenario... If Al Leiter continues to struggle with his ptiching, and than Ismael Valdez returns from the DL and starts to pitch well, what do u do??? I know i can't even begin to imagine Leiter in the bullpen, but should Valdez or Moehler be moved into the Pen while both of those guys are pitching better than Leiter?? I think not. Hopefully Leiter can get it going again, but if he doesn't, it should be interesting to see what the Fish do.

Don't hold your breath on Valdez coming back any time soon. Last I heard he was going to have to have a cast put on his leg because the bone wasn't calcifying. Leiter's had 2 consecutive bad outings, but he started the year off with 3 good ones. He'll turn it around.

Don't hold your breath on Valdez coming back any time soon. Last I heard he was going to have to have a cast put on his leg because the bone wasn't calcifying. Leiter's had 2 consecutive bad outings, but he started the year off with 3 good ones. He'll turn it around.

767225[/snapback]

even if Valdez does come back soon, he is worse than Leiter.

I warned you guys in the off-season

767235[/snapback]

That's great. :plain

I really don't know what we are going to do with Al. Possibly moving him to the 5th spot and putting someone in the 2nd would probably be the best thing to do, but we'll just have to wait and see what Dr. Jack does..

I warned you guys in the off-season

767235[/snapback]

That's great. :plain

I really don't know what we are going to do with Al. Possibly moving him to the 5th spot and putting someone in the 2nd would probably be the best thing to do, but we'll just have to wait and see what Dr. Jack does..

767267[/snapback]

A pitcher's spot in the rotation is really meaningless beyond the 1st week of the season. At this point, aces don't always match up, #2 pitchers don't always match up, etc... The rotation is set really nice right now, with the 2 lefties split up and the guys that don't go very deep into games split up.

I'm not worried about Al. He's a veteran and a gamer. And as TSwift said.. he's had 2 consecutive bad outings, but he had some good ones to start the season.

When we re-signed him in the offseason I was unsure about it. I didn't think he would do to well here. Right now, he's proved my point. I would like to see him succeed but he is simply just not performing out there. Yes he has helped the young guys but he has got to go out there and get the job done.

(P.S. He is doing just as bad in my MVP Baseball game LoL)

speaking realistically, we need to hope he bounces back. He is capable of playin well a she showed in his first three starts, including the day he outpitched pedro martinez at shea. The thing with leiter has been that when hes lost his control he hasnt just been bad hes been terrible. So hes pitched in 6 games so far (not counting colorado), 2 solid ones, one great one, one bad one that he played well enough to win, and 2 insanely terrible ones. As of now theres no need for concern, he needs to work on his game on his offdays, and perhaps change his approach. Work more on inducing contact

You know after clearing my head a bit and had a chance to think this through, I would give Al a couple more starts before doing anything. I mean he his a veteran and he has more experience than anyone on this pitching staff. If by mid-June he still isn't cutting it, then I think it may be time for the FO to do something.

You know after clearing my head a bit and had a chance to think this through, I would give Al a couple more starts before doing anything. I mean he his a veteran and he has more experience than anyone on this pitching staff. If by mid-June he still isn't cutting it, then I think it may be time for the FO to do something.

767512[/snapback]

He'll have enough good starts to have you saying that until August... then you realize nothing's gonna change. It's a bitch.

767512[/snapback]

He'll have enough good starts to have you saying that until August... then you realize nothing's gonna change. It's a bitch.

767521[/snapback]

hojo i agree wit u 100%...

767512[/snapback]

767521[/snapback]

hojo i agree wit u 100%...

767538[/snapback]

You do realize that he sad Leiter would be maddeningly inconsistent, not consistently bad...so I don't think you really agree with him.

Al has had a good start or two but his losses loom large. When he loses, it's not even close.

767436[/snapback]

even when he did win he looked like s***...remeber he strugled thru 5 innings man...this guys a waste of roster spot....

767451[/snapback]

Go look at his first start against Pedro. That was great. He needs more of those types of starts.