Miami Mayor Diaz 'Very Optimistic" About Stadium

RossInfoMan

Mayor optimistic about stadium

Marlins officials met with city, county leaders to discuss ways to surmount a stadium construction funding gap. Miami Mayor Manny Diaz says he is `very optimistic.'

BY BARRY JACKSON

[email protected]

After a meeting with Marlins officials on Monday night, Miami Mayor Manny Diaz said he was ''very optimistic'' that a deal to build a $420 million retractable-roof stadium next to the Orange Bowl can be salvaged despite a $30 million funding gap.

''We explored a lot of different options, laid out different alternatives,'' Diaz said of the meeting, which was attended by Miami City Manager Joe Arriola, Miami-Dade County Manager George Burgess, Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria and team president David Samson.

The Marlins, who lease at Dolphins Stadium, had hoped state money would cover the funding gap. But they were unable to secure a $60 million state sales tax rebate during the Legislative session that ended last week. That rebate would have allowed them to borrow $30 million.

The team has left open the possibility of moving to a market such as Las Vegas if a deal can't be worked out to stay in South Florida.

The Marlins, who declined comment on Monday's meeting, previously have said they were unwilling to raise their $192 million pledge. Diaz declined to say if the Marlins expressed flexibility on that issue during Monday's meeting.

''Trust me -- everyone is willing to come to the table to make this happen,'' Diaz said. ``My sense is that all the parties involved want to get this done. I firmly believe the Marlins want to stay.''

Diaz said he hoped for some sort of resolution within a month. ''The sooner the better,'' he said.

Diaz said one option discussed Monday involved lowering the project's price tag from $420 million to the $390 million range.

He declined to disclose other scenarios but said the sides are exploring ''different revenue sources'' to bridge the funding gap.

County officials could not be reached late Monday but indicated last month that they would be unable to increase their $138 million contribution to the project.

One revenue source -- parking -- already has been tapped to provide $32 million toward the cost of the project.

Asked if the city would be willing to increase its contribution, which includes $28 million plus land near the Orange Bowl, Diaz said, ``The city can't identify any more.''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/11606619.htm

Guest Fritz

Kill the damn aquarium for the time being and I'd consider leveling the Orange Bowel to make way for more parking. Have the Canes play at Dolphins Stadium instead.

comdem more land and build more parking space

768698[/snapback]

That doesn't save more money. Do you actually think that condemnation is free? Condemnation means that the City will be buying land, and usually after lengthy negotiations and litigation. So whatever parking space you build and generate funds with, will only go to pay the "more land" you just condemned.

Guest Moneyball

Joe Sanchez mentioned last week that the roof will cost 100M. So the 30M is has to be the aquarium and other features.

yeheeeeee!!!!!! iI think we will get the stadium after all. we must think posiitive, lets make aprotest or something jst for the hell of it, an exucuse for marlins fans to PARTY yeheeeeee!!!!!!!

THE LITTLE HAVANNA MARLINS!!

768733[/snapback]

:plain

Good luck with that name, the Miami Marlins would upset enough people.

yeheeeeee!!!!!! iI think we will get the stadium after all. we must think posiitive, lets make aprotest or something jst for the hell of it, an exucuse for marlins fans to PARTY yeheeeeee!!!!!!!

768733[/snapback]

768775[/snapback]

At this point, I don't care if they're the Hialeah Marlins or the Opa-locka Marlins.... just as long as we still have the damn team in S. Fla.

Do you people realize that an Aquarium is not $30 million?

Cutting the project $30 million is a lot.?

What I am scared of is another Miami Arena being built, that 10 years down the road "its not good enough".

769612[/snapback]

I am afraid of that too! I have already e-mailed Manny Diaz and wrote my concerns over this ballpark being scaled down, cutting corners, done on the cheap and ending up with a Miami Arena II on our hands all over again.

His response was that he would continue to fight for the Marlins to stay and to "play in a first-class stadium."

Nonetheless, more of us have to e-mail him with our concerns over this thing becoming a Miami Arena II. The Marlins need a ballpark that the team, fans and city can really be proud of. A place they can play for the next 40 years. A ballpark that will be one of the best in MLB.

So e-mail the mayor your concerns and suggestions over the new ballpark. Tell him it better not be another Miami Arena debacle.

This thing, if built, better be one of the best in MLB.

E-mail him at: [email protected]

Believe me when I say that he does read the e-mails.

768733[/snapback]

768775[/snapback]

At this point, I don't care if they're the Hialeah Marlins or the Opa-locka Marlins.... just as long as we still have the damn team in S. Fla.

768793[/snapback]

Come on Miri, lets not get crazy. :mischief