Do the Marlins sign Steve Karsay now..

Nah...These guys have already proved they can play through an injury or even two in this case. Mota comes back in a week. Spooney and AA later this season. There is always a guy like Messanger with the Topes. The bullpen is performing just fine.

He would just be another guy who probably wouldn't get all that much work especially once Mota came back.

Also Ish should be coming back pretty soon too sending down Crowell. There just doesn't seem to be much space for him.

If they do sign him, obviously Crowell or Smith will go down. Depends on how much Jack wants two lefties in the bullpen.

771258[/snapback]

well travis smith and jim crowell don't deserve to be on any major league team...

771424[/snapback]

"...don't deserve to be on any major league team..." Matteao?

Obviously they do. They are and at least one major league General Manager says you're 100% dead wrong.

No one even knows if Karsay is physically able to pitch. Less than seven innings in two years is hardly what I call a good track record.

If they do sign him, obviously Crowell or Smith will go down. Depends on how much Jack wants two lefties in the bullpen.

771258[/snapback]

well travis smith and jim crowell don't deserve to be on any major league team...

771424[/snapback]

Obviously they do. They are and at least one major league General Manager says you're 100% dead wrong.

771504[/snapback]

hmm, i didn't know opinions could be wrong...?

maybe their in here because theres no one else better in our farm system, which is exactly what it is, these guys are here because of injuries. to say they belong would be maybe considering them on the opening day roster, not because of someone elses misfortune.

771258[/snapback]

771424[/snapback]

771504[/snapback]

maybe their in here because theres no one else better in our farm system, which is exactly what it is, these guys are here because of injuries. to say they belong would be maybe considering them on the opening day roster, not because of someone elses misfortune.

771507[/snapback]

First of all you stated it as a fact, not as an opinion.

The same could be said of Brian Moehler who is here only because of an injury, or Juan Encarnacion who it could be said is in right field only because of Conine's injury. Or for that matter Dontrelle Willis or Miguel Cabrera (although I'm not drawing talent comparisons between any of them)?

They are here now, they are Marlins now, they are part of the team. They "earned" their chance by their performances in spring training and at the AAA level, no one handed them their jobs.

And if feeding the parent club new talent isn't the very reason for the existence of farm teams, what is?

BTW, it's "they're, not "their".

771258[/snapback]

771424[/snapback]

771504[/snapback]

771507[/snapback]

First of all you stated it as a fact, not as an opinion.

The same could be said of Brian Moehler who is here only because of an injury, or Juan Encarnacion who it could be said is in right field only because of Conine's injury. Or for that matter Dontrelle Willis or Miguel Cabrera (although I'm not drawing talent comparisons between any of them)?

They are here now, they are Marlins now, they are part of the team. They "earned" their chance by their performances in spring training and at the AAA level, no one handed them their jobs.

And if feeding the parent club new talent isn't the very reason for the existence of farm teams, what is?

BTW, it's "they're, not "their".

771512[/snapback]

get over your f***ing self this isn't english, do you feel like a better person now that you've corrected a gramatical mistake? congrats

second i didn't state it as a fact...i said they don't deserve to be in any major league team..that's an opinion. i don't think they should be on a major league team got it?

second of all, moehler was a non roster invitee who earned his job in s.t. as well as enc. conine still could have gotten the job. and dontrelles and cabbies numbers warrented a promotion. smiths and crowells did not.

if you want them build your own f***ing team iwth a bullpen and lets see how well you do :thumbup

I say we get him, there's really nothing to lose.

And of coarse, we'd then either have to send Smith or Crowell down and I would pick to keep Smith and send Crowell down...

I know he probably wouldn't get to pitch that much if we got him, and I know Mota is coming back soon so our bullpen will be even better, but if our bullpen ever struggles, or if one of our starters (aka Leiter) ever gets taken out of a game very early and we need a reliever who we could rely on to pitch a few innings, we could use him.

I know our bullpen is doing great right now. But if that were to change he could give us a lift. And I personally would feel much better with him pitching than Smith or Crowell.

Your lack of command of the english language is no excuse for you resort to cursing. It certainly doesn't gain credence for your argument.

And you did state it as a fact. You didn't say "I think..." or "I believe" or "In my opinion". You made a declaration, that they didn't deserve to be on any major league team.

I realize that you believe you are a better baseball talent evaluator than Beinfest or McKeon, but both spoke highly of the work both guys did in spring training, just as they did of Brian Moehler.

Cabrera and Willis came up, not exclusively because their (please note the proper use of the word) numbers warranted it, although they were both having spectacular years in AA, but because of injuries and poor performance of others.

I realize you probably weren't a Marlins fan back in early 2003 so you don't know the circumstances of their arrival but so you know now Mark Redman had been DLed and Burnett had been shut down, and that's why Dontrelle was called up. Cabrera, similarly was called up because Todd Hollandsworth was underperforming in part due to a groin injury he was trying to play through.

I'm not saying that either guy is the best player on the team or that their tenure is longterm, all I'm saying is that they earned their right to be here and be part of the team given the circumstances. And I also realize you aren't about to admit the errors of your ways, but that's to be expected. Not being able to admit ones mistakes is a shortcoming of all youth.

Are you kidding me, NO BRAINER really if u ask me, you can never have ENOUGH pitching, send a kid down, bring up the more experienced Karsay, what have we got to lose? The guy can do it in the NL, I am sure of it!

771534[/snapback]

send a kid down?

uh, we dont have any kids in the pen

You lack of command of the english language is no excuse for you resort to cursing. It certainly doesn't gain credence for your argument.

And you did state it as a fact. You didn't say "I think..." or "I believe" or "In my opinion". You made a declaration, that they didn't deserve to be on any major league team.

I realize that you believe you are a better baseball talent evaluator than Beinfest or McKeon, but both spoke highly of the work both guys did in spring training, just as they did of Brian Moehler.

Cabrera and Willis came up, not exclusively because their (please note the proper use of the word) numbers warranted it, although they were both having spectacular years in AA, but because of injuries and poor performance of others.

I realize you probably weren't a Marlins fan back in early 2003 so you don't know the circumstances of their arrival but so you know now Mark Redman had been DLed and Burnett had been shut down, and that's why Dontrelle was called up. Cabrera, similarly was called up because Todd Hollandsworth was underperforming in part due to a groin injury he was trying to play through.

I'm not saying that either guy is the best player on the team or that their tenure is longterm, all I'm saying is that they earned their right to be here and be part of the team given the circumstances. And I also realize you aren't about to admit the errors of your ways, but that's to be expected. Not being able to admit ones mistakes is a shortcoming of all youth.

771544[/snapback]

dude you seriously seriously need to get over yourself...

all i was even commenting about is the only reason that their even in the pen is because the marlins had no one better to call up.

you're a living joke...to say i wasn't a fan, i live and die marlins baseball and i don't need any little prick criticizing me...i was at 65 games in 2003 including all the playoff games. i was at the games from 98-2002 as well wehn they drew 10,000 and 4,000 on those weeknights, even the night when castillo got his hit in his 35th game in a row against the tigers...

and also, you're just plain ridiculous about the whole 'opinion' thing...

shaq should have won the mvp... you are saying its not an opinion because i didn't say i think????

whats the difference of me saying... 'shaq should have won the mvp award' and 'i think shaq should have on the league mvp..'

does the first one mean its fact because i didn't say i think?

explain that one

You lack of command of the english language is no excuse for you resort to cursing. It certainly doesn't gain credence for your argument.

771544[/snapback]

dude you seriously seriously need to get over yourself...

all i was even commenting about is the only reason that their even in the pen is because the marlins had no one better to call up.

you're a living joke...to say i wasn't a fan, i live and die marlins baseball and i don't need any little prick criticizing me...i was at 65 games in 2003 including all the playoff games. i was at the games from 98-2002 as well wehn they drew 10,000 and 4,000 on those weeknights, even the night when castillo got his hit in his 35th game in a row against the tigers...

and also, you're just plain ridiculous about the whole 'opinion' thing...

shaq should have won the mvp... you are saying its not an opinion because i didn't say i think????

whats the difference of me saying... 'shaq should have won the mvp award' and 'i think shaq should have on the league mvp..'

does the first one mean its fact because i didn't say i think?

explain that one

771570[/snapback]

LMAO :brigginbounce

Your lack of command of the english language is no excuse for you resort to cursing. It certainly doesn't gain credence for your argument.

771544[/snapback]

And of coarse, we'd then either have to send Smith or Crowell down and I would pick to keep Smith and send Crowell down...

I know he probably wouldn't get to pitch that much if we got him, and I know Mota is coming back soon so our bullpen will be even better, but if our bullpen ever struggles, or if one of our starters (aka Leiter) ever gets taken out of a game very early and we need a reliever who we could rely on to pitch a few innings, we could use him.

I know our bullpen is doing great right now. But if that were to change he could give us a lift. And I personally would feel much better with him pitching than Smith or Crowell.

771542[/snapback]

and if you're gonna be such a jerk off then why don't you say something about Marlins use of the word 'coarse' i'm sure he'd love to be corrected by you so i'll let you have the pleasure.

771544[/snapback]

771542[/snapback]

and if you're gonna be such a jerk off then why don't you say something about Marlins use of the word 'coarse' i'm sure he'd love to be corrected by you so i'll let you have the pleasure.

771573[/snapback]

:blink:

Dude, calm down.

771544[/snapback]

771542[/snapback]

771573[/snapback]

Dude, calm down.

771580[/snapback]

i'm enraged...

what i don' tunderstand...does it really really matter whether or not you use correct grammar in a baseball forum?

771544[/snapback]

771542[/snapback]

771573[/snapback]

Dude, calm down.

771580[/snapback]

i'm enraged...

what i don' tunderstand...does it really really matter whether or not you use correct grammar in a baseball forum?

771582[/snapback]

It's not hard to use correct grammar, and it's much easier to read. It also shows you're smarter in a sorta sense...and if you don't care enough to take some time to make sure everything is grammatically correct, then why should someone take some time out a read what you got to say?

It's pretty clear: If you really want to get a point across to someone then type it in a intelligent way, because there are some people on this board that ignore posts that are all grammatically messed up.

And anyways, you're 18, so it's not like you don't know how to use correct grammar. Just atleast try to type grammatically correct from now on...it'll help out your writing skills also.

You're just sinking deeper in quicksand every time you try to wiggle away from what you wrote.

And you can keep calling me names all night if you wish (Noting for the record they all have some sort of sexual connotation, I wonder what Freud would say about that?) but it doesn't change the fact that what you wrote was wrong then and wrong now. Perhaps you should look into taking a remedial grammar course at UCF so that you can learn the difference between a declarative sentence and stating an opinion.

Either that or start learning how to flip burgers at Hamburger U.

I guess I'm supposed to be impressed by how many games you say you attended since you jumped on the Marlins bandwagon. I'm not.

Getting back to the discussion at hand, Karsay is an injured duck, whether he will ever fly again remains to be seen. At least in Smith and Crowell you have two healthy arms who can go out and pitch tomorrow, that can't be said of Karsay. If the Yankees thought he had anything left in the tank, or was at minimum a reclamation candidate they would have found a way to keep him in the organization.

If the Marlins weren't contending it might be worth the effort to see what the guy can bring to the table, but that isn't the case. It's unknown whether he would accept an assignment to the minors, he's going to make $6 million this season whether he pitches or not, he may feel that riding a bus from Albuquerque to Colorado Springs isn't worth it when he can stay home and cash those checks. He can always shut it down for the season, get some rest for his shoulder and try a comeback next season ala Brian Moehler.

One thing is for sure, at least in my opinion, he isn't ready to pitch at the major league level right now. If he was he'd still be in pinstripes, that is unless you think Cashman and Torre are wrong too?

Considering our "emergency" arms consist of Bentz, Crowell and Smith, I see no reason to not sign Karsay.

Now, that isn't to say I want him at anything other than the major league minimum (or even better, a minor league contract). I'll be honest, unless they think that Mota's injury is worse than originally expected (read:surgery needed), I don't think having essentially three of the same pitchers in Jones, Karsay and Spooney is really necessary.

Steve Karsay would make our team better, it is wonderful that we have the best bullpen in the majors, but that is no reason not to improve it, I see Steve Karsay as a major improvement over many of our guys and he would be an ideal set up man for Mota. The guy has had an average ERA of just over 3.00 the past 6 years while playing in the American League in the demanding setting of the Bronx. He has taken on the tough line ups of the DH bolstered AL and been very succesful... just what we will need when we get into Interleague play and the World Series, besides most of the NL has never seen him. This would be a fantastic addition to the pen. :D