Marlin Draft...

Malman

Check out this quote regarding the Marlins' draft:

"They had one of the best drafts I've seen in all my years of scouting," Philadelphia Phillies scouting director Marti Wolever told The Philadelphia Inquirer. 'What they did on the pitching side was amazing. They took some great arms with some high ceilings. Every time we looked at the board, we were saying, `My God, they got another one.' "

Kudos to Scouting director Stan Meek, who supervised much of the team's draft and scouted more than 200 players!

:notworthy

I think this was already posted...

Anyway, no one is arguing that we didn't get some good arms, it's just the fact that we don't have any top hitting prospects in the lower levels of our minor leagues and that glaring hole was not filled. When Hermida comes up we'll basically have nothing.

We had 8 of the first 96 picks. Even if Fleming & Jennings had drafted the most unsignable players and hacking athletes, most of the media would say it was one of the best drafts.

809094[/snapback]

The quote was from the Phillies Scouting Director...he stated that the Marlins had one of the best drafts he has seen in all of his years in the business...a far cry from "most of the media."

:thumbup

Same idea.

809156[/snapback]

I disagree.

809161[/snapback]

No, see no one is arguing that we didn't take talented kids with our pick, the argument is that there were better players available for our organizational needs. Look, I would have rather seen Teagarden taken other than that 7th arm, and with 22 or 26 I would have rather seen us take Hansen (even if he is "unsignable") and try to work something out. It seems that we've got young guys who pitch and have high ceilings at every level already...it's just over kill at this stage.

Same idea.

809156[/snapback]

I disagree.

809161[/snapback]

No, see no one is arguing that we didn't take talented kids with our pick, the argument is that there were better players available for our organizational needs. Look, I would have rather seen Teagarden taken other than that 7th arm, and with 22 or 26 I would have rather seen us take Hansen (even if he is "unsignable") and try to work something out. It seems that we've got young guys who pitch and have high ceilings at every level already...it's just over kill at this stage.

809286[/snapback]

Fair enough. Obviously, the team's philosophy is to load up on arms and utilize them for trades down the road. Boras clients (Hansen & Teagarden) are just not

realistic for this franchise...especially when we have multiple first and second round picks. Base on the team's approach...I think they did a tremendous job.

Same idea.

809156[/snapback]

I disagree.

809161[/snapback]

I agree with you.

I know its been point out already that Hansen would have been the pick at 16th b/c of the need right NOW of the team, but in 3 or 4 years who to say Volstad is a better prospect or pitcher.

And its pretty obvious that right now b/c either of media hype or developing quicker Scott Boras clients were the cream of the crop...BUT,

Is LHP Mark Pawelek better Aaron Thompson? well I don't but I do know Thompson played with better competition. Is Taylor Teagarden better than Brett Hayes right now? Yes but both are very close IMO, so why pay more when there better close. Boras like to control the draft by steering his clients to certain teams(St.Louis, Cubs, NY, LA, etc...) b/c he knows he can get top dollar. He did it with JD Drew(holdout all year and re-entering the draft) and Ric Ankel when both came out in draft. Mark McCormick is another one who has unbelievable talent where did he end up? St.Louis. By the way Scott Boras played for the St.Louis Cardinals just in case you see a trend.

Another thing not all Boras players pan out Matt Harrington after 3yr of getting draft by the Padres and Rockies and not signing. He went un-drafted this go around.

Back to the Marlins draft

they need pitching b/c pitchers have a higher rate of failure. Position player can be trade for or signed as free agent..you are more likely get more in return for your money on a position player than a pitcher(unless its Pedro) throughout the length of the contract. another thing teams in trades are always looking for pitching, pitching, pitching...this team was built on pitching.

The Lowell trade Pitching

The Willis trade Pitching

The Conine trade Pitching

The Lo Duca/ Mota trade Picthing

The 1st Encarncion trade Pitching

stop me if you see a trend....

The draft was very strong with HS pitchers, so the Marlins drafted HS pitching. Why draft player A who has develop quicker than player B but is asking for more money, though both have the same talent in the long run.

Again the Marlins' draft was not good, not great, but awesome. To get the "best" pitchers in four of five hotbed states for baseball talent(Fla, Tx, LA, Cali)(Colorado the fifth one) you kick a** . The Marlins left draft table with ski masket on after what happen last TuesdayIMO :lol

We'll look back at this draft as best in Marlin history...bank on :thumbup

Same idea.

809156[/snapback]

I disagree.

809161[/snapback]

I agree with you.

I know its been point out already that Hansen would have been the pick at 16th b/c of the need right NOW of the team, but in 3 or 4 years who to say Volstad is a better prospect or pitcher.

And its better obvious that right now b/c either of media hype or developing quicker Scott Boras clients were the cream of the crop...BUT,

Is LHP Mark Pawelek better Aaron Thompson? well I don't but I do know Thompson played with better competition. Is Taylor Teagarden better than Brett Hayes right now? Yes but both are very close IMO, so why pay more when there better close. Mark McCormick is another one who has unbelievable talent where did he end up? St.Louis. Boras control the draft by steering his clients to certain teams(St.Louis, Cubs, NY, LA, etc...) b/c he knows he can get top dollar. He did it with JD Drew(holdout all year and re-entering the draft) and Ric Ankel when both came out in draft. By the way Scott Boras played for the St.Louis Cardinals just in case you see a trend.

Another thing not all Boras players pan out Matt Harrington after 3yr of getting draft by the Padres and Rockies and not signing. He went un-drafted this go around.

Back to the Marlins draft

they need pitching b/c pitchers have a higher rate of failure. Position player can be trade for or signed as free agent..you are more likely get more in return for your money on a position player than a pitcher(unless its Pedro) throught out the length of the contract. another thing teams in trades are always looking for pitching, pitching, pitching...this team was built on pitching.

The Lowell trade Pitching

The Willis trade Pitching

The Conine trade Pitching

The Lo Duca/ Mota trade Picthing

The 1st Encarncion trade Pitching

stop me if you see a trend....

The draft was very strong with HS pitchers, so the Marlins drafted HS pitching. Why draft player A who has develop quicker than player B but is asking for more money, though both have the same talent in the long run.

Again the Marlins' draft was not good, not great, but awesome. To get the "best" pitchers in four of five hotbed states for baseball talent(Fla, Tx, LA, Cali)(Colorado the fifth one) you kick a** . The Marlins left draft table with ski masket on after what happen last TuesdayIMO :lol

We'll look back at this draft as best in Marlin history...bank on :thumbup

809319[/snapback]

Good insight.

Fair enough. Obviously, the team's philosophy is to load up on arms and utilize them for trades down the road. Boras clients (Hansen & Teagarden) are just not

realistic for this franchise...especially when we have multiple first and second round picks. Base on the team's approach...I think they did a tremendous job.

809302[/snapback]

That might make sense had they not taken so many high school and college underclassmen with their own signability issues.

TS,

You make a good point. Obviously more teams do seek pitching prospects in trades than position players. However upon entering this organization so deep a their position, if they do at all, these prospects will have lost some of their trade value (teams know we can't keep them all and protected) and not develop as quickly (fierce battle for innings, starts and advancement opportunities).

Guest FishFanInPA

You do realize this is all speculation....we wont know anythign about any of them until they actually play for us. Teagarden could have a career ending injury in the minors and we look great....It's just like every other draft...it's merely speculation until we see results.

You do realize this is all speculation....we wont know anythign about any of them until they actually play for us. Teagarden could have a career ending injury in the minors and we look great....It's just like every other draft...it's merely speculation until we see results.

813228[/snapback]

thank you captain obvious

813228[/snapback]

813473[/snapback]

:lol

Guest FishFanInPA

813228[/snapback]

813473[/snapback]

813532[/snapback]

I may be Captain obvious but why are you guys arguing whether the draft is good.

813228[/snapback]

813473[/snapback]

813532[/snapback]

I may be Captain obvious but why are you guys arguing whether the draft is good.

813541[/snapback]

Some people follow college baseball, and high school baseball. Of course we can't predict who will have injuries and what not, but of course there is a way to predict which players will succeed if there wasn't what would the point of having scouts be?

Anyway, most of us that weren't satisfied with the draft were simply saying that we had a blatant need and that need wasn't filled, and instead we kept piling on pitching prospects when that's an area we have plenty of depth at.

If just one of these pitchers turns out to be a star for this organization this draft will be a success. If just one of these pitchers get traded for a good veteran to help this team win a WS in the future it will be a success. I like TS view on the draft...you can never have too many pitchers in baseball...this is def not overkill.

My favorite example that TS mentioned was the Lowell trade. If I remember correctly, we traded three pretty good pitching prospects for just Lowell - when he was a prospect too. So, we pretty much traded away at an area of depth to bring in a big time position prospect, who when we got him from the Yanks was sitting at AAA because Brosius had just won the WS MVP...and wasn't going anywhere.

You can NEVER have enough good pitching. For all the talk about how "deep" our pitching is, the truth is that we don't really have any high ceiling guys that are close to the majors (this year), besides maybe Olsen. I guess Kensing too. I mean, look at the beckett DL situation right now. Who are we calling up? There was some talk of calling up Olsen in the sun-sentinel, but it looks like we're calling up Bump again..i think.

Anyway, I'm kind of amazed at our draft. I think we're going to look back at this draft in a few years with huge grins, thinking that some people wanted to take lesser prospects at areas of "positional" need, rather than taking as many good prospects as you can.

Anyway, I'm kind of amazed at our draft. I think we're going to look back at this draft in a few years with huge grins, thinking that some people wanted to take lesser prospects at areas of "positional" need, rather than taking as many good prospects as you can.

813705[/snapback]

Not all the pitchers that we took were expected to go as high as they did. There were many opportunities to take quality position players, but our FO is infatuated with high school players. Which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but I'd rather it be a good mix.

If just one of these pitchers turns out to be a star for this organization this draft will be a success. If just one of these pitchers get traded for a good veteran to help this team win a WS in the future it will be a success. I like TS view on the draft...you can never have too many pitchers in baseball...this is def not overkill.

813602[/snapback]

I was kind of hoping for more out of a draft with so many high draft picks. Maybe find a valuable player in the 2nd or 3rd round too. You might too if you took a closer look at the 2002 and 2003 drafts and how those players are progressing.

You can NEVER have enough good pitching. For all the talk about how "deep" our pitching is, the truth is that we don't really have any high ceiling guys that are close to the majors (this year), besides maybe Olsen. I guess Kensing too. I mean, look at the beckett DL situation right now. Who are we calling up? There was some talk of calling up Olsen in the sun-sentinel, but it looks like we're calling up Bump again..i think.

813705[/snapback]

Bazardo, Tankersley and Vargas.

Do you expect the 2005 draft picks, many of them high schoolers, jump that quickly to the majors?

And I'd argue that you can have too much pitching. There are only nine innings in a game and 4-5 games to be started in any 5-day period and only so many minor league affiliates (not to mention, many of their rosters are already filled with talented pitching prospects). All professional pitchers need a schedule of routine to keep them fresh and performing at their best. This is complicated when you have too many prospects and few 40th round/son of scout's friend fill-in minor leaguers. Either some prospects that were invested in highly on draft day are sloted in roles that do little to help their development or the everyone on the pitching staff suffers.