Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

"Marlins willing to deal A.J. Burnett"

Featured Replies

Reported on ESPN's Cold Pizza this morning by Ken Rosenthal. However, rumor is the asking price is extremely high. (young pitchers, left handed outfielder). Someone is going to have to go all out for a deal to be made.

Daniel Cabrera pitched outstanding when Wiley was pitching coach in Baltimore last year. Hayden is an amazing pitching prospect and Admin Bigbie is.......left-handed.

I rather have Bronsen Aroylo, Hanely Ramirez and Timlin

843974[/snapback]

If the Red Sox are willing to give up Hanley, then hell yes. I kinda thought he was untouchable.

They have a top 2nd, 3rd prospects and they have a SS that is an all star almost every year and 3 time gold glove winner. He is dealable.

 

 

Plus on ESPN radio today they were talking of the sox interest in AJ.

 

Also it was posted their interest in him as Henry LOVES AJ. Let me find that article for you all.

John Henry's wild about Burnett

The Red Sox aren't the first team mentioned in the latest round of Burnett rumors, but the Globe's Gordon Edes warns not to count the Sox out of the hunt, particularly because Sox owner John Henry (former Marlins owner) is a big fan of Burnett's. Edes writes in a Boston.com chat, "Given how much John Henry loves Burnett, he's not going to let the Marlins trade him elsewhere without doing some exploring of his own. Burnett's a stud." ... Three Marlins sources confirmed to the Palm Beach Post that the team talked to the Yankees briefly about a deal with would send Burnett and Juan Encarnacion to New York in exchange for Gary Sheffield. The same sources told the Post that no formal proposal has been made, and they don't expect one to be made. Meanwhile, the Washington Post reported Friday that the Orioles have talked to the Marlins about Burnett and third baseman Mike Lowell, who would likely move to first base if dealt to the O's. ... The Washington Post reported that the Red Sox contacted the Marlins on Tuesday about Burnett. We found this tidbit from the Globe's Gordon Edes interesting: "John Henry is a huge Burnett fan from their days together with the Marlins, and also has a very good relationship with Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria. But I'm not sure the Sox and Marlins would be a match. The Marlins' No. 1 need is a reliever, and the Sox certainly can't help in that area. The Orioles have Jorge Julio, and could also throw in a starter, if the deal expanded to include other players, which is what was on the table last week."

 

-- the buzz, on boston.com

 

 

This was taken from another forum. but the article is from the red socks news source.

 

Thoughts all?

Visavis trading Burnett, it's inconceivable to me that with Josh on the DL and his health iffy going forward, when combined with AJ's strikeout performance last night, and picking up a full game on the Nats to boot,that the Marlins would entertain ANY offers to trade the guy at this moment.

 

To do otherwise would be a total capitulation of the season.

 

If you read the piece, it seems Mr. Edes hasn't watched the Marlins bullpen at work for some time. And boy, the last guy I wuld think the Marlins would want to get a leg up is Boston, for all the requisite reasons, least among them that they both share a desire to be playing in October, and I'd say the last team the Marlins want to face in the fall classic are the Red Sox.

They have a top 2nd, 3rd prospects and they have a SS that is an all star almost every year and 3 time gold glove winner. He is dealable.

 

 

Plus on ESPN radio today they were talking of the sox interest in AJ.

 

Also it was posted their interest in him as Henry LOVES AJ. Let me find that article for you all.

Renteria is willing to switch positions for Hanley. The kid is going no where.

 

The Baltimore deal still sucks, and Ken Rosenthal is still pulling this out of his ass. Nothing has changed.

Only way I consider that baltimore deal is if they are putting Penn and Cabrera into it. Along with Bigbie and Juilo.

I rather have Bronsen Aroylo, Hanely Ramirez and Timlin

843974[/snapback]

 

you mean Bronson Arroyo, right? that other guy?... never heard about him :lol

I rather have Bronsen Aroylo, Hanely Ramirez and Timlin

843974[/snapback]

 

you mean Bronson Arroyo, right? that other guy?... never heard about him :lol

844023[/snapback]

 

bah like said before many times, my spelling is horrible. Thank you public school system :)

 

but yes Bronson Arroyo. your thoughts on AJ though?

I really don't like that Baltimore deal. Daniel Cabrera is a downgrade from Burnett, Bigbie is a downgrade from Encarnacion, and Julio just isn't a great reliever.

I really don't like that Baltimore deal. Daniel Cabrera is a downgrade from Burnett, Bigbie is a downgrade from Encarnacion, and Julio just isn't a great reliever.

844107[/snapback]

Ditto.

 

I still think we should try for 3-way deal and work it out so we can get a guy like Javier Vasquez

If we trade Burnet, I'd like to get a Major League-ready pitcher in return to take his spot- someone that can be effective for the stretch run.

Hyaden Penn? Why would we trade for a pitching prospect?

844160[/snapback]

 

A failed pitching prospect at that :thumbup

844170[/snapback]

That goes unsaid. He is after all a product of the Orioles'

From SI:

 

Washington Nationals: Jim Bowden was always one of the busiest and most creative general managers in July while with the Reds. Now that he has a first-place team drawing big crowds and lots of attention, he should really be fun to watch. Bowden wants another top starter (Jason Schmidt, A.J. Burnett) to team with Livan Hernandez and has been calling around trying to upgrade at third base (Lowell).

 

 

Let me ask a question. Would the fish even consider trading within the division anyways? I love how certain teams speculate. The nats and frank robinson's whining make me sick to my stomach

We would not trade to them I do not think at all. But, we did trade Cliff to the Mets. But, seriously, I dont see us trading jack crap to the nats. specially not AJ.

I still think we should try for 3-way deal and work it out so we can get a guy like Javier Vasquez

844110[/snapback]

 

Are the D-backs willing to deal Vazquez if they are in the mix for the west division? I'd kill for Javy

We would not trade to them I do not think at all. But, we did trade Cliff to the Mets. But, seriously, I dont see us trading jack crap to the nats. specially not AJ.

844201[/snapback]

 

We didn't trade Cliff Floyd to the Mets. We traded him to the Expos for Carl Pavano and others, among them Mike Mordecai.

 

Sheesh.

 

And there isn't a snowball's chance in hell we'd consider trading AJ to the Nats. None, nada, zero.

my apologies for that, still in the division. But, I dont see this happening. Looking for a blizzard in miami and Key west first.

I still think we should try for 3-way deal and work it out so we can get a guy like Javier Vasquez

844110[/snapback]

 

Are the D-backs willing to deal Vazquez if they are in the mix for the west division? I'd kill for Javy

844206[/snapback]

 

Right now they are trying to buy not sell. Hopefully after the all star game it will be more clear who is doing the buying and who is doing the selling.

I think it's curious that a left-handed bat is part of the AJ equation. Would that coincide with Lowell packing up and Cabs moving to 3B leaving LF open? I wonder if that is the logic. There are obviously other scenarios.

Hyaden Penn? Why would we trade for a pitching prospect?

844160[/snapback]

 

A failed pitching prospect at that :thumbup

844170[/snapback]

why is he a failed pitching prospect?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.