You can't always get what you want

Marlins2003

As you all debate the upside and down of various trade opportunities, keep these things in mind:

1. AJ, not the Marlins is in control. His determination, whether to sign an extension or not, is the single motivating factor in all trade discussions.

1a. Some teams may be willing to trade for AJ as a summer rental, but that translates into less in return. Accept it.

2. AJ alone is worth more than AJ AND Mike Lowell.

3. AJ AND Encarnacion are worth more than AJ AND Lowell.

4. Assuming if only one comes back at their prior performance level, Alfonseca or Valdez, the team is upgraded tremendously. If both come back and perform well we have solved a myriad of problems internally.

5. If Riedling's last five appearances in AAA are any indication, he should be given another chance to succeed rather than ridiculing him before he's gotten a fair audition.

6. The fact that Encarnacion is not included in trade talks at this moment shouldn't mean he's not going to be traded. He's become a trading chip on his own.

7. If the Marlins can walk away after trading Encarnacion, Lowell and AJ with ONE bonafide piece of talent, whether it be a position player or a pitcher, now in the major leagues or a can't miss phenom, we should give the front office a congratulatory "well done" cheer.

Go get'em Admin! Go Fish !

As you all debate the upside and down of various trade opportunities, keep these things in mind:

1. AJ, not the Marlins is in control. His determination, whether to sign an extension or not, is the single motivating factor in all trade discussions.

1a. Some teams may be willing to trade for AJ as a summer rental, but that translates into less in return. Accept it.

2. AJ alone is worth more than AJ AND Mike Lowell.

3. AJ AND Encarnacion are worth more than AJ AND Lowell.

4. Assuming if only one comes back at their prior performance level, Alfonseca or Valdez, the team is upgraded tremendously. If both come back and perform well we have solved a myriad of problems internally.

5. If Riedling's last five appearances in AAA are any indication, he should be given another chance to succeed rather than ridiculing him before he's gotten a fair audition.

6. The fact that Encarnacion is not included in trade talks at this moment shouldn't mean he's not going to be traded. He's become a trading chip on his own.

7. If the Marlins can walk away after trading Encarnacion, Lowell and AJ with ONE bonafide piece of talent, whether it be a position player or a pitcher, now in the major leagues or a can't miss phenom, we should give the front office a congratulatory "well done" cheer.

Go get'em Admin! Go Fish !

861438[/snapback]

Agree with everything that you said except #7. There really is no need to ship Encarnacion out. The money saved would be neglible and for a 4 million dollar outfielder .280/12/52 is not bad at all. Riedling is a great pitcher and he does deserve another chance - you are correct.

He can drive the bus...but he does not have to make a stop. I am ALL FOR trading AJ and Lowell but they do not HAVE to be traded. This Orioles deal offers us an erratic reliever....a light hitting OF'er....and a pitching prospect. Where does that help us now or in the future?

If it happens I am the biggest supporter of these three guys....but for now I am begging for a ChiSox or Red Sox deal.

Perhaps I should have worded #7 (above) differently.

A better way to make my point would be to say, "IF the Marlins consummate a trade involving any of these players and recieve a bonafide MLer or can't miss prospect...".

I'm not advocating trading anyone in particular, or for that matter trading anyone. My thesis is that quality, not quantity is what I believe the FO will seek. (Thinking twice before I mention a name) If for example the Marlins traded any one, two or even three of the above-mentioned players and received back ONE low-cost, high ceiling player in return, people here should not feel we are being robbed.

What we don't need to do is flood our roster with players who won't help. We have enough of a logjam for playing time already and with players of the caliber we have in the minors we don't need guys who get in the way of their natural progression to the major leagues.

Perhaps I should have worded #7 (above) differently.

A better way to make my point would be to say, "IF the Marlins consummate a trade involving any of these players and recieve a bonafide MLer or can't miss prospect...".

I'm not advocating trading anyone in particular, or for that matter trading anyone. My thesis is that quality, not quantity is what I believe the FO will seek. (Thinking twice before I mention a name) If for example the Marlins traded any one, two or even three of the above-mentioned players and received back ONE low-cost, high ceiling player in return, people here should not feel we are being robbed.

What we don't need to do is flood our roster with players who won't help. We have enough of a logjam for playing time already and with players of the caliber we have in the minors we don't need guys who get in the way of their natural progression to the major leagues.

861521[/snapback]

Absolutely. The thing is that ( and what some posters don't understand) is that there is parity in trades. You hardly see a huge disparity b/w what teams are receiving. Since there are no clear cut winners in most trades, fans from both teams feel that they are being robbed. I agree with you, if we get a solid youngster for 2 - 3 big contracts then i say DO IT!

2003, I agree with your #7. No sense in trading for mediocre players.

Make a "big" trade for one quality starter.

Go for the Win this year!

861542[/snapback]

I'm not disagreeing with the intent of your post but it doesn't have to be a starter (although that would certainly be the optimum choice). It could be a SS or outfielder or a reliever with a huge upside.

Focus on the talent. Everything else will play itself out.

2003, I agree with your #7.? No sense in trading for mediocre players.

Make a "big" trade for one quality starter.

Go for the Win this year!

861542[/snapback]

I'm not disagreeing with the intent of your post but it doesn't have to be a starter (although that would certainly be the optimum choice). It could be a SS or outfielder or a reliever with a huge upside.

Focus on the talent. Everything else will play itself out.

861549[/snapback]

Sorry, when I said "Starter" I didn't necessarily mean Pitcher. I'll take a position player capable of 27 HR's.

Exactly why should AJ take less that he wants? If he is asking 4/$36M, then what motivation would he have to accept any less than that at this time? He has a whole off-season to work with as many suitors as possible to maximize his contract.

The Marlins may want to get more for him than a few draft picks, but in the end AJ will have to agree with the deal as well.

If AJ doesn't agree to an extension, then Lowell isn't going anywhere this year. Lowell is untradable given the weight of his contract.

Perhaps the best we can hope for is all the stars align and both Mikey and AJ start playing to their potential.

As hard as everyone is working to make a deal happen, if it doesn't this week, then perhaps the best we will get for AJ is a few prospects at the trading deadline, assuming we are sellers at that time.