Encarnacion to the Card

BOTHFISHFAN

The Enc thing is just that the Cards "may" be interested with Sanders hurt. Nothing even talked about yet, and really, who do they have that we'd want...their farm system is full of average quality arms, and they don't even have "toolsy" position players.

This one isn't going anywhere...

I dont know the validity of these rumors....BUT

The Cards are known to trade for established Major League talent (walker last year around this time). Since walker is basicly a spot starter now and LaRussa doesn't want Taguchi as an everyday player because he has exposable holes in his swing, I can see them going for Encarnacion. He would fit decently in their lineup. The only thing I don't know about is if Enc is a Larussa type player. Larussa likes players who play their role in the team and don't try to push their own agenda. I can see Enc as one of those players who will be stuborn and not play the role that larussa will give him (possibly someone in the second spot that needs to get on base but still has some pop to the bat). And Enc, I feel, is an easy out at the plate. Also, there is a lot of vertan leadership and the nucleus of that team has been together for a couple of years. You never hear any of those players complaining about bench duties and so forth (as enc did earlier this year). But who knows. I'd say if the cards REALLY needed a RF this year Enc could be their 2nd or 3rd choice depending on whats available.

look Enc could be desired by alot of teams really. I am sure the cubs/NYY/Cards and a few others wouldnt mind picking him up. He is having pretty much a career year. And yes we saw his defense does compared to last night connie out there (grrr). Personally if you do the lowell/aj trade and now Enc too kiss the season goodbye. 71 games left is a long long summer.

Here's the article:

Juan in the Cards?

Jul 19 - The Cardinals might have an interest in Juan Encarnacion now that Reggie Sanders is out a month with a fractured leg, ESPN.com Insider Jerry Crasnick reports. But if the Marlins deal both A.J. Burnett and Mike Lowell -- as has been rumored -- they'll free up enough salary that they won't have to move Encarnacion, who is quietly having a productive season for a Florida team that's lacking in offense. He's third on the Marlins with 52 RBI and showing more patience than he has in the past.

Insider

Here's the article:

Juan in the Cards?

Jul 19 - The Cardinals might have an interest in Juan Encarnacion now that Reggie Sanders is out a month with a fractured leg, ESPN.com Insider Jerry Crasnick reports. But if the Marlins deal both A.J. Burnett and Mike Lowell -- as has been rumored -- they'll free up enough salary that they won't have to move Encarnacion, who is quietly having a productive season for a Florida team that's lacking in offense. He's third on the Marlins with 52 RBI and showing more patience than he has in the past.

I don't know about the patience. He swings at A LOT of BAD pitches.

Could Walt get Encarnacion?

Our choice here at STLtoday.com? Juan Encarnacion of the Marlins.

Sure, there ARE negatives with Juan. He is not great defensively. He has always been an undisciplined hitter, too willing to chase high hard ones and breaking balls in the dirt.

Scouts doubt that he can hit high-end pitching, unless he happens to guess right. Mostly he hits mistakes, so he runs hot and cold. But he does have some power and he IS producing runs this season in Florida.

He is batting .280 with 12 homers and 52 RBIs. Encarnacion, 29, has hit 116 homers since becoming a full-time player in 1999. The speed that helped him steal 33 bases in ?99 is gone, but he would add some offensive presence from the right side.

Could Walt get him? That depends on what else the Marlins do -? and they are trying to do plenty.

If Florida can dump third baseman Mike Lowell?s contract (about $21 million is left on it) while also dealing pitcher A.J. Burnett for top prospects, the Marlins may not feel inclined to move Encarnacion. Also, the team could move speedster Juan Pierre and conceivably fetch more than it could for Encarnacion.

Again, that might preclude a Cards deal with Florida.