Why Lowell is on the block

Teal Shadow

PRODUCTION+MONEY= NOT FOR LONG

Its sad I love guy, he's a hometown guy. I thought if there was one guy who would stayed his whole career with this team it was Lowell.

BUT this game is a business, and what have you done for me lately is the way of game. Here's Berardino column of a few weeks ago, it explain why this decision of moving Lowell is unavoidable

That's hard to do when you're still stuck on three home runs halfway through the season, when you have one homer in your past 248 at-bats dating to April 13, when your combined on-base and slugging percentage ranks you in the bottom five of major league regulars.

Since July 3, 2004, Lowell has taken 571 at-bats and has hit just 11 home runs. The player whose stat line most resembles Lowell's in that span is Phillies third baseman David Bell.

Bell's batting average is 26 points higher, his on-base percentage is 16 points higher, his slugging percentage is 12 points higher, his RBI total is the same and he has hit two more homers. Bell has taken five fewer at-bats.

Bell, mind you, is a solid, winning player, but he is not a $32 million investment the way Lowell was. Rather, Bell is finishing out a three-year, $16 million deal with the Phillies.

Also since last July 3, Lowell has been outhomered by 179 different big leaguers, including a stunning array of non-sluggers. Among them: Damion Easley, Jose Castillo, John Mabry, Randy Winn, Olmedo Saenz, Benji Molina, Marcus Thames, Jason La Rue, J.T. Snow, Mark Bellhorn, Rafael Furcal, Jorge Cantu, Khalil Greene, Omar Infante, Bill Hall, Ty Wigginton, Carl Crawford, Ronnie Belliard, A.J. Pierzynski, Ray Durham, Placido Polanco, Jimmy Rollins, Juan Uribe, John Buck, Eric Byrnes, Joe Randa and Coco Crisp.

"Don't get me wrong, I love Mike Lowell," the second scout said. "But it's a business. I just think his bat has slowed down. No doubt about it. I don't care what the hitting coach is telling you guys. This isn't something that's just showed up. He's scuffled since July of last year."

Just three of those 11 homers have come against right-handed pitchers, none of the power variety (Tomo Ohka, Kevin Correia and Salomon Torres). This week against the Brewers, Lowell couldn't pull the 93 mph fastballs of Wes Obermueller.

"I don't see him snapping out of it anytime soon," the second scout said. "Any time guys can't get to the good fastballs, they compensate. When they do that, they become vulnerable to offspeed pitches, and then they start fighting it mentally."

"They'd have to eat it all for me," he said. "I don't think he's worthless at all, but $22 million, that's a lot of cash, man. They didn't pay him all that money for his defense."

"I would have some reservations" about taking on Lowell's contract."Based on where he's at," he said, "it's a concern."

the last quotes explains why it so difficult to move Lowell, and why the Marlins will have to eat a 8-10 million of that contract if they want to rid themselves of Lowell.

Sun-Sentinal

If we're going to have to pay at least the majority of the remainder of his salary, then we might as well keep him.

That makes no sense. We need production from 3B, and we only get it by moving Lowell, and using the part of his salary that is picked up by another team to get an OF (moving Miggie to 3B) or pitching help, or both. Keeping Lowell is not an option; most scouts and GMs agree he is done as an elite player; heck, he's one of the worst hitters in MLB. Continuing to throw away $8 million a year is ridiculous, it's time to cut our losses as much as possible and move on.

Wasn't Lowell also one of the players sniping at McKeon about a month ago about how Jack has poisoned the club house ?? I think his quote was in the sentinel .......In addition it might be heresy to say this and others have mentioned this aswell i seriously suspicions about him using steroids. I went to 12 games last year and saw him up close several times , this year i have been to two games {because i am in gainesville now) and he looks noticeably skinnier...maybe nothing i dont know and i would like to believe he wouldnt be that type of person but his stats make you wonder especially his power numbers even batters going though slumps hit for power even if their average falls , Lowell has 4 homeruns in 90 games ....HMMMMM :shifty

New Mr.Marlins or not I say move him

Wasn't Lowell also one of the players sniping at McKeon about a month ago about how Jack has poisoned the club house ?? I think his quote was in the sentinel .......In addition it might be heresy to say this and others have mentioned this aswell i seriously suspicions about him using steroids. I went to 12 games last year and saw him up close several times , this year i have been to two games {because i am in gainesville now) and he looks noticeably skinnier...maybe nothing i dont know and i would like to believe he wouldnt be that type of person but his stats make you wonder especially his power numbers even batters going though slumps hit for power even if their average falls , Lowell has 4 homeruns in 90 games ....HMMMMM :shifty

New Mr.Marlins or not I say move him

867196[/snapback]

and another one joins the group of idiots who actually think Lowell used steroids... oh well... :banghead