Dear Front Office

pierremvp1

Dear Mr. Beinfest,

Please don't betray your loyal fans. We've had some glorious times in Marlins history, but we've also had to suffer through some very tough times with previous owners. Under present ownership and your time as general manager, you've done well for the team and it's fans. Please don't trade away AJ Burnett now while our team has a shot at winning it all this year.

We've watched AJ from the start, and followed his progress, his ups and downs. Don't trade him away now. Let the team have his next 14 starts in this pennant race, and hopefully a few starts in the playoffs. Please allow your loyal fans to see AJ in these games and let him finish out the year as a Marlin.

I understand the financial constraints of a small market team as best as a layman can. I don't have the inside information that you do, I am merely a simple fan. A simple fan that would feel betrayed if after watching AJ since his first game, see him suddenly traded when the team still had a shot at winning. I'd like to see AJ get his shot at pitching in the World Series as a Marlin.

A fan

What is more of a betrayal just letting AJ walk away and only getting draft picks or trying to get something for now? I would love for AJ to still be the Marlins for next year and many after it, but it just doesn't look like it can happen. Every Marlin fan has been through this before with the trades of players like Dempster and Penny and those trades worked out pretty well.

What is more of a betrayal just letting AJ walk away and only getting draft picks or trying to get something for now? I would love for AJ to still be the Marlins for next year and many after it, but it just doesn't look like it can happen. Every Marlin fan has been through this before with the trades of players like Dempster and Penny and those trades worked out pretty well.

869517[/snapback]

I'm not talking about next year or after. I'd love to see AJ on the team then as well, but AJ is definitely gone AFTER this year. I'd just like to see him on the team for the rest of this year. And by the way, Beinfest does read this board occasionally. Samson reads it quite a bit. Loria never, or so he says.

869517[/snapback]

I'm not talking about next year or after. I'd love to see AJ on the team then as well, but AJ is definitely gone AFTER this year. I'd just like to see him on the team for the rest of this year. And by the way, Beinfest does read this board occasionally. Samson reads it quite a bit. Loria never, or so he says.

869522[/snapback]

Well if you think he's gone then why not trade him and get something for him? Especially if you can find someone will take Lowell off their hands.

And by the way, Beinfest does read this board occasionally. Samson reads it quite a bit. Loria never, or so he says.

869522[/snapback]

Not doubting your information, I am only curious about it. How do you know this for a fact?

869546[/snapback]

I sell something that all 3 of them collect. Can't say much more.

And by the way, Beinfest does read this board occasionally. Samson reads it quite a bit. Loria never, or so he says.

869522[/snapback]

Not doubting your information, I am only curious about it. How do you know this for a fact?

869546[/snapback]

869558[/snapback]

Pokemon?

869522[/snapback]

869546[/snapback]

869558[/snapback]

What are you trying to crypticly say?

I understand where you're going with this, but if the team can get better both short term and long term by trading A.J., I don't see how it's betraying the fans.

869632[/snapback]

We all agree that it would be better long-term. It's the short-term I'm talking about. Any team serious about winning this year does not trade away a pitcher of AJ's ability for somebody else's 3 or 4 starter, or prospects. I would hope that what the front office is doing now with Burnett is a feint. A big trade may occur elsewhere.

I understand where you're going with this, but if the team can get better both short term and long term by trading A.J., I don't see how it's betraying the fans.

869632[/snapback]

Any team serious about winning this year does not trade away a pitcher of AJ's ability for somebody else's 3 or 4 starter, or prospects.

869652[/snapback]

Maybe, though if you can flip the prospects for someone else's starter who is close to A.J. in ability and is signed long term it's a good deal all around. Javy Vazquez, if he's available (though I doubt he is), would be exhibit A here, as would Pavano to a lesser extent. Anyone with that type of ability wouldn't hurt in the short term and would help long term, though I agree with you that trading A.J. to end up inserting a combo of Redman and Bigbie-types into the lineup doesn't help much right now.

I may dislike a lot of the trade proposals but...

Wow, pierremvp1, wow. How dare you accuse Beinfest and Loria of such a thing. You should be a shamed of yourself. I understand if might like A.J. Burnett, but clearly Beinfest's intent is to improve the club by trading him. Don't like his intentions? Go cheer for whatever team A.J. ends up with. This is a business. Teams make moves to which they think help themselves succeed. The Marlins aren't in the business of keeping your favorite players around at the expense of winning.

I'm not bashing AJ but...

- he is 6-6 this season with a 3.68 ERA.

- he was 7-6 last season with a 3.68 ERA.

- he is 43-44 lifetime with an ERA of 3.80.

- the last three seasons he is 6-13 4.38 ERA on the road.

- 2004 he was 1-6 5.09 ERA on the road.

- this season 0-3 4.00 ERA vs Braves

- this season he is 2-4 4.17 ERA vs Nats, Phillies and Braves combined(games in September)

AJ is a fine pitcher but has never won a big game(September games in 2003 and playoffs) and never pitched in one for that matter. He has been a .500 pitcher his entire career. He has not been a rock solid pitcher on the road and he does not have stellar results against three of the teams we will play most in the final month of the season.

Some people act like we are trading away Pedro, Clemens, Halladay, Oswalt or Carpenter. Naaah, we're trading away a cross between Kris Benson and Carlos Zambrano. He is a # 2-3 starter on most teams. Among the teams rumored to be interested in acquiring him...he is a #4 starter on the WSox, # 3 on the Jays with Halladay, # 3 on the NYY and a # 2 on the Tigers, RSox and O's strictly from a statistics level.

I'm not bashing AJ, just trying to be realistic. A # 2-3 starter coming off major surgery, been on the DL 4 times and will be a FA at seasons end.

- this season he is 2-4 4.17 ERA vs Nats, Phillies and Braves combined(games in September)

AJ is a fine pitcher but has never won a big game(September games in 2003 and playoffs) and never pitched in one for that matter. He has been a .500 pitcher his entire career. He has not been a rock solid pitcher on the road and he does not have stellar results against three of the teams we will play most in the final month of the season.

Some people act like we are trading away Pedro, Clemens, Halladay, Oswalt or Carpenter. Naaah, we're trading away a cross between Kris Benson and Carlos Zambrano. He is a # 2-3 starter on most teams. Among the teams rumored to be interested in acquiring him...he is a #4 starter on the WSox, # 3 on the Jays with Halladay, # 3 on the NYY and a # 2 on the Tigers, RSox and O's strictly from a statistics level.

I'm not bashing AJ, just trying to be realistic. A # 2-3 starter coming off major surgery, been on the DL 4 times and will be a FA at seasons end.

869713[/snapback]

true. but AJ's best years are still ahead of him

Hey pierremvp1,

I have some advice so your voice can be heard. Mail the letter to the following address: 2267 Dan Marino Blvd.

Miami, Florida 33056

(305) 623-6100

And wrote after the address "To the Attention of: Admin Beinfest / Jeffrey Loria". I have written letters to players for autographed memorabilia and have recieved autographed used game jerseys and balls and bats. Maybe, this will work. I want to express my support for all Marlin fans through this rocky stretch in our franchise's history. I want Burnett to stay. By the way, that was a well-written letter with alot of heart. You are a great representative of us die-hard Florida Marlin fans. Keep up the good efforts and remember I have your back. Thanks for making us proud by taking an affirmative stand. But, if Loria and Beinfest feel this would be best for the organization, I would have to go against your point but will still actively support you.

869713[/snapback]

I agree w/ your post. But since I agree I'm going to give a different opinion. Wins and Losses are not the best way to determine if a pitcher is good or not. Think about the team he's been playing for, not what you would call an offensive juggernaut. The ERA's are somewhat average. Anything above 4 is cause for concern and anything under 3 is spectacular (at least thats my opinion).

Basically, you cant get attached to a player because he will leave and youll be mad, sad, or both. Id love for AJ to stay, hes become one of my personal favorites. Plus, hes improved since last year by developing that change up. Itd definitely be a drag if by trading him, we lose the possibility of being in the playoffs. We just have to trust that Beinfest does the right thing

And about those statistics of AJ, its not solely up to him to win a game. Theres the guys behind him that also take a part in his ERA. Errors do cost us runs, as we have seen. AJ isnt a spectacular pitcher, but hes definitely not a dissapointment.

Basically, you cant get attached to a player because he will leave and youll be mad, sad, or both. Id love for AJ to stay, hes become one of my personal favorites. Plus, hes improved since last year by developing that change up. Itd definitely be a drag if by trading him, we lose the possibility of being in the playoffs. We just have to trust that Beinfest does the right thing

And about those statistics of AJ, its not solely up to him to win a game. Theres the guys behind him that also take a part in his ERA. Errors do cost us runs, as we have seen. AJ isnt a spectacular pitcher, but hes definitely not a dissapointment.

870043[/snapback]

It's not a matter of being mad or sad about a particular player. Make Beckett or Willis the free agent to be, and I'd say the same thing about them. As I see it we have a 25% chance of making the playoffs with AJ. If we make the playoffs with AJ, then we have a great shot in the playoffs. If you lose AJ you have a much smaller possibility of making the playoffs, and in the playoffs you're much weaker without him.

Hey pierremvp1,

I want to express my support for all Marlin fans through this rocky stretch in our franchise's history. I want Burnett to stay. By the way, that was a well-written letter with alot of heart. You are a great representative of us die-hard Florida Marlin fans. Keep up the good efforts and remember I have your back. Thanks for making us proud by taking an affirmative stand. But, if Loria and Beinfest feel this would be best for the organization, I would have to go against your point but will still actively support you.

869922[/snapback]

yea, Im gonna disagree with you applauding him

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.