Amazing catch by Wright

buccanes

Guest Juanky

Yeah, not everyone has to like the same people. That would be boring.

And it was a f***ing amazing catch. Reminded me of the Ozzie play when he was in San Diego cuz of the whole barehanded aspect.

The guy does everything right. He's a spectacular defensive player, he's a pesky hitter who really makes pitchers work, and he's got very impressive power numbers despite playing at Shea.

Yet somehow you get the sense this is just the tip of the DWright iceberg and he's just going to keep getting better. He really embodies everything that's right about the game.

Cabs is the better hitter, Wright is the better baseball player.

897002[/snapback]

:lol :lol :lol

Better baseball player? He's got a good glove, good bat, I don't personally watch him, but I'd say it's a push.

897021[/snapback]

In terms of the complete package, Wright is the better player. Cabrera is nowhere near Wright's league defensively. Cabrera is a superior hitter, but Wright can still handle the bat more than reasonably well.

897002[/snapback]

:lol :lol :lol

Better baseball player? He's got a good glove, good bat, I don't personally watch him, but I'd say it's a push.

897021[/snapback]

Cabrera is a superior hitter, but Wright can still handle the bat more than reasonably well.

897074[/snapback]

Is Wright batting .350?

Last I checked, no.

As far as Defense, stick Cabs at third and the man will give you some amazing defensive shows when called upon.

In 2003 when Lowell was out, Cabs only had 1 error in 34 games at third.

71 total chances.

53 assists.

17 putouts.

the only reason he isn't as good defensively in left is because it's not his natural position.

It'd be like me trying to play Shortstop, since I play center.

As far as Cabrera and Wright compare at 3B, it's hard to tell because of Cab's limited time playing there. But , just a quick glance, it would appear that Cabs is better defensively there. Just going by zone rating and range factor, Cabs career RF at 3B is 2.34, David Wrights is 2.70. But Miguel dwarfs Wright in ZR, Cabs is .808, Wright is .744 for career. In limited playing time at 3B, Cabs amassed a 3.18 RF this year, while Wright for the year is 2.70. Cabrera's career fielding % at 3B is .978, Wright is .942. I would say Cabrera is almost gold glove quality at 3B, wether he is able to do it for a whole season remains to be seen though.

I don't care how Cabs is at third, that's not the position he's playing now. He IS a LFer and even you guys have to admit he's brutal out there. Comparing defensive stats at third is absurd, you're talking about a miniscule sample size for Cabs.

897117[/snapback]

Gee do ya really think it's a small sample size? I only said it about 37 times in my post, or can you not correlate "limited playing time" into "small sample size".

I don't care how Cabs is at third, that's not the position he's playing now. He IS a LFer? and even you guys have to admit he's brutal out there. Comparing defensive stats at third is absurd, you're talking about a miniscule sample size for Cabs.

897117[/snapback]

Gee do ya really think it's a small sample size? I only said it about 37 times in my post, or can you not correlate "limited playing time" into "small sample size".

897121[/snapback]

First of all, I was pretty much ignoring you bulls*** post, I was referencing BenderRobot's post.

But regardless, why even bring up the stats, much less call him a gold glove calibre player? SO basically you realized you were posting a bunch of usless stats but wasted your time doing so anyway? Smooth move jackass.

I don't care how Cabs is at third, that's not the position he's playing now. He IS a LFer? and even you guys have to admit he's brutal out there. Comparing defensive stats at third is absurd, you're talking about a miniscule sample size for Cabs.

897117[/snapback]

897121[/snapback]

First of all, I was pretty much ignoring you bulls*** post, I was referencing BenderRobot's thread.

But regardless, why even bring up the stats, much less call him a gold glove calibre player? SO basically you realized you were posting a bunch of usless stats but wasted your time doing so anyway? Smooth move jackass.

897125[/snapback]

No, I was not posting stats to waste my time, I was posting that, in a small sample size, Cabrera has been a great defensive 3B. And, if he stays consistent with those stats for a whole season, he is a gold glove calibre 3B AND better than Wright, and that would throw your "more complete player" garbage arguement out the window.

My favorite young player in the game today.

What this guy can become is mind-boggling.

896892[/snapback]

I saw the play live on MSG (being in New York, I had to suffer through an otherwise awful game) and it was one of the best defensive plays I've ever seen. Mitchell's back in the 90's was coming in towards the ball - this one was a blind catch with flat out full extension, and he was able to hold onto the ball as he fell to turf. Sounds more like something Randy Moss would do.

Many of his errors this year (league leading 18) have come on bad throws. He's got very good range and what an athlete. In the past few years, 3B has gone from being a medicore position to one filled with studs. And to think Cabrera and Pujols could both be playing there too... let's not get into that discussion here.

The point about Cabrera being able to play OF is a mute one - he was moved there was already an established player at 3B. The Mets are notorious for how many people have played 3B in their history - they really needed him. While he does play for a division rival (that my whole family happens to like), he will be exciting to watch for years to come.

My favorite young player in the game today.

What this guy can become is mind-boggling.

896892[/snapback]

I saw the play live on MSG (being in New York, I had to suffer through an otherwise awful game) and it was one of the best defensive plays I've ever seen. Mitchell's back in the 90's was coming in towards the ball - this one was a blind catch with flat out full extension, and he was able to hold onto the ball as he fell to turf. Sounds more like something Randy Moss would do.

Many of his errors this year (league leading 18) have come on bad throws. He's got very good range and what an athlete. In the past few years, 3B has gone from being a medicore position to one filled with studs. And to think Cabrera and Pujols could both be playing there too... let's not get into that discussion here.

897166[/snapback]

Good post.

I think it is about to become the new position to get revolutionized much like how the SS position changed in the 90s. Players getting bigger and more athetic there and it is one of the best overall positions to gind good hitters now.

With Nomar falling off and A-Rod switching to third, it could be argued that now the most important infield position is 3B.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.