Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marlins Glum About Breakup

Featured Replies

Marlins glum about breakup

 

By BARRY JACKSON

 

bjackson@herald.com

 

 

Mike Lowell, Luis Castillo and Alex Gonzalez have been in teal more consecutive years than any other current Marlins, providing infield stability and often brilliant defense. Now Gonzalez is hoping their rumored breakup doesn't materialize.

 

''It's tough,'' Gonzalez said. ``I've played with Luis since 1998, Mike since 1999. I wish all three of us will stay together. You've had one of the best infields in the league.''

 

Lowell said a breakup of that troika, who are friends, ``would be sad because I played with those guys for seven years.''

 

Obligated to pay $35.75 million for just five players signed for 2006 ( Carlos Delgado, Lowell, Castillo, Paul Lo Duca and Ron Villone), the Marlins are expected to renew efforts to trade Lowell (due $9 million in both 06 and 07) -- which could be difficult to pull off. Though Gonzalez, a free agent, might get an offer, one Marlins executive has spoken of possibly using Robert Andino at shortstop.

 

Manager Jack McKeon said he believes Andino is capable of playing every day next season.

 

''I want to come back but I don't know if they want me back,'' said Gonzalez, who prefers a three-year deal.

 

Lowell prefers to stay, partly because ''I want to repay the team you had the off year with.'' Lowell said he's ``going to be more game-ready from a hitting standpoint going into spring training, wherever I am.''

 

Castillo, due $5 million in 2006 with a $5.75 million team option for '07, also will make a change: To try to prevent quadriceps problems that plagued him, Castillo said he will start working out three weeks before spring training.

 

''I haven't been 100 percent all year,'' he said. ''I want to be the player I was before'' -- especially as a base-stealer.

 

? Jeff Conine, 39, said he hopes his recent play convinces teams he's still an everyday player. He would make sense for the Marlins, but likely at a cut from $3 million. Juan Encarnacion said he wants to return, but that appears less likely.

I think we almost have to bring Lowell back to start next year. From the sound of things, he is going to be coming with everything he has left. God forbid that we trade him and he ends up being the old Mike Lowell again.

  • Author

I think we almost have to bring Lowell back to start next year. From the sound of things, he is going to be coming with everything he has left. God forbid that we trade him and he ends up being the old Mike Lowell again.

 

 

The only reason to trade him is to get payroll relief. If we have to pay a team to take his contract, it makes little sense considering we contended with him having a terrible year, I mean, he's at rock bottom, there's no where to go but up...

 

If someone's willing to take his whole contract, let them have him.

what will probably happen is ...

 

Lowell at first

Cabs at 3rd

 

and trade delgado for a starting OF + prospect

  • Author

what will probably happen is ...

 

Lowell at first

Cabs at 3rd

 

and trade delgado for a starting OF + prospect

 

 

:lol :lol :lol

 

Good one.

How much do we owe Villone next season?

 

And Steve would take the league minimum if he had to, to be able to stay here, no worries about him returning. He'll be back no mater what.

How much do we owe Villone next season?

 

And Steve would take the league minimum if he had to, to be able to stay here, no worries about him returning. He'll be back no mater what.

 

minimum would be a slap in the face, but me thinks 1.5 or 2 mill gets it done

I'm all for keeping Mike if he returns to his old self. It would tick the people off though that want Willingham as the strarting lf though lol(which I am not one of). I still wouldn't mind unloading him though, or Pierre, if it gets us relief help and a 4th starter to put between Olsen and Vargas.

Obligated to pay $35.75 million for just five players signed for 2006 ( Carlos Delgado, Lowell, Castillo, Paul Lo Duca and Ron Villone),

 

I have a question when we sign all these guys whats gonna happen when we want to sign Cabrera and Willis after next year, i no its far away but still. Both of them are gonan wanna big bucks, i think we will only sign one of them, who do you want?

Well, when it comes to Cabs and Willis's free agency, Dook and Lowell will both most likely be gone(since it wont be until after 2009), we should have enough money to sign those two and Beckett long term...probably even before they hit free agency, we will prob be able to knock out the last year or two of arbitration. IMO the front office will not choose between the 3 and will lock them up as long as possible(hopefully and very likely their entire careers)

Well, when it comes to Cabs and Willis's free agency, Dook and Lowell will both most likely be gone(since it wont be until after 2009), we should have enough money to sign those two and Beckett long term...probably even before they hit free agency, we will prob be able to knock out the last year or two of arbitration. IMO the front office will not choose between the 3 and will lock them up as long as possible(hopefully and very likely their entire careers)

 

 

 

Good Answer!!! I guess we will have to wait and see :lol

  • Author

Well, when it comes to Cabs and Willis's free agency, Dook and Lowell will both most likely be gone(since it wont be until after 2009), we should have enough money to sign those two and Beckett long term...probably even before they hit free agency, we will prob be able to knock out the last year or two of arbitration. IMO the front office will not choose between the 3 and will lock them up as long as possible(hopefully and very likely their entire careers)

 

 

Just FYI, Beckett's only under our control for '06 and '07. I'd like to see the Marlins put a 4 year deal in front of him this off-season, but I know that's wishful thinking.

btw, this article is somewhat disturbing. I don't like Lowell or Castillo's comments.

 

Are they saying, "I wasn't ready this year. ."

  • Author

btw, this article is somewhat disturbing. I don't like Lowell or Castillo's comments.

 

Are they saying, "I wasn't ready this year. ."

 

 

Nah, more like an admission of what they were doing wasn't working, so they're going to change. It'd be nice if Pierre would say the same thing about that damn FAST programe he does...

I think there is a possibility of Lowell having a hell of a year next season...and I stress "possibity". He will be out to prove something. If there is someone I think we should let go would be Enc, hot and cold at the plate and his hustle is always questioned in the outfield. Put Hermida there please.

I'll take Alex back for another 2 years and keep this infield intact. And you know how I feel about getting Jeff back :mischief

We need to keep the team's core together one more year. This team can make the postseason with better years by lowell, pierre and health from castillo ,gonzalez and dookie. For a team to make it to the postseason players need to play well which is what happened in 03.

btw, this article is somewhat disturbing. I don't like Lowell or Castillo's comments.

 

Are they saying, "I wasn't ready this year. ."

 

 

Nah, more like an admission of what they were doing wasn't working, so they're going to change. It'd be nice if Pierre would say the same thing about that damn FAST programe he does...

Well it worked for Pierre last year; 04 was undoubtedly his best season so far.

  • Author

btw, this article is somewhat disturbing. I don't like Lowell or Castillo's comments.

 

Are they saying, "I wasn't ready this year. ."

 

 

Nah, more like an admission of what they were doing wasn't working, so they're going to change. It'd be nice if Pierre would say the same thing about that damn FAST programe he does...

Well it worked for Pierre last year; 04 was undoubtedly his best season so far.

 

No, I'd go with 2003. The stealing percentage just wasn't there in '04.

btw, this article is somewhat disturbing. I don't like Lowell or Castillo's comments.

 

Are they saying, "I wasn't ready this year. ."

 

 

Nah, more like an admission of what they were doing wasn't working, so they're going to change. It'd be nice if Pierre would say the same thing about that damn FAST programe he does...

Well it worked for Pierre last year; 04 was undoubtedly his best season so far.

 

No, I'd go with 2003. The stealing percentage just wasn't there in '04.

Well true, but had he had the season he had last year this season with Carlos and Cabs batting behind...oh boy, my mouth just turns to water :shifty

With Hermida in the mix, Ency is long gone and he will be missed IMO. :(

 

Keeping Lowell at 3rd would be fine, but with that move, we will likely not only be unable to resign AGon, but might lose some serious cash in getting some quality starting and bullpen help. :(

 

With money being tight, as great as it would be to keep Niner as well, I cant see him taking just the minimum to stay. He wont take much more, but even that might be too much for us to pay and even with his restaurant in Florida, he would probably sign with Tampa Bay for some needed veteran help over there just to stay close.

 

I really have faith that whatever happens with our starting lineup, they will perform well next year. Pitching is what concerns me. :shifty

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.