Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ordonez to the Fish?

Featured Replies

Marlins: MLB.com learned they are talking to Rey Ordonez about a comeback, for defensive insurance at shortstop. Ordonez last played in the Majors in '04, for the Cubs, who released him that July when Alex Gonzalez became healthy again. A Miami resident, Ordonez will turn only 35 in January. He won three consecutive Gold Gloves with the Mets in the late '90s.

 

What do you think?

Damn...I was thinkin Magglio for a second.

Damn...I was thinkin Magglio for a second.

 

 

I was thinking the same thing when I read that, although I dont know if I would want Magglio, seems to be injured quite often and has a hefty contract.

 

no ordonez and no gonzo

 

 

Then who do you want ralph?

  • Author

He'll be a non-roster invite.

 

 

I agree.. and I think he will make the team! Remember when easly was struggling and the marlins invited him! he turned out to be a GREAT Utility huh? I would give him a shot!

 

 

Damn...I was thinkin Magglio for a second.

 

 

I was thinking the same thing when I read that, although I dont know if I would want Magglio, seems to be injured quite often and has a hefty contract.

 

no ordonez and no gonzo

 

 

Then who do you want ralph?

 

Good question! Who else is out there ralph?

Two years out of the bigs is a long time, but who knows?

 

Maybe he's the exception that proves the rule. If he's a spring training invitee and performs well, so be it. If he doesn't, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

 

I certainly don't see him as a replacement for Easley though.

I see no reason to make this move, unless he's proven to someone in the organization that he is ready to be a full time short-stop. He'd be a waste off the bench as a defensive replacement since it seems that all the short-stops we've been linked with are glove heavy with a light bat. Unless the team thinks that Garciaparra is their guy, in which case Ordonez makes sense.

I see no reason to make this move, unless he's proven to someone in the organization that he is ready to be a full time short-stop. He'd be a waste off the bench as a defensive replacement since it seems that all the short-stops we've been linked with are glove heavy with a light bat. Unless the team thinks that Garciaparra is their guy, in which case Ordonez makes sense.

 

 

Has Beinfest or anyone contacted Garciapara or his agent? Does anyone know?

Ugh, no.

 

When I first saw the thread title, I got all excited and thought it was Magglio Ordonez.

I have to wonder whether this is not what it appears (if you accept the MLB.com teaser in a vaccum), rather than first reading the 11/06 Herald blurb, "FYI: Three-time Gold Glove SS and Miami Springs resident Rey Ordonez, 34, out of baseball more than a year, wants to make a comeback and would love a chance to win a backup job with the Marlins."

 

It may very well be that most of the interest is on Ordonez' part rather than the Marlins. The Marlins FO could simply be extending a courtesy to a local former major leaguer, who wants what every retired ballplayer wants - one more season in the sun.

 

Of course by saying this I guarantee he'll be signed tomorrow, but my gut says this is much to do about nothing.

If the greatest baseball player of our generation (maybe of all time) comes back after an 11 month layoff and struggles to perform to par, how in the flying f*** would you expect a marginal/subpar baseball player to be even remotely respectable after a two-year layoff? Instead of giving a non-roster invite to him, why not give it to Dan Marino. He played 3B in HS and can probably hit better than Lowell at this point.

If the greatest baseball player of our generation (maybe of all time) comes back after an 11 month layoff and struggles to perform to par, how in the flying f*** would you expect a marginal/subpar baseball player to be even remotely respectable after a two-year layoff? Instead of giving a non-roster invite to him, why not give it to Dan Marino. He played 3B in HS and can probably hit better than Lowell at this point.

 

Whoa buddy breathe in and out, woooooza. I don't think we are looking to sign ordonez to be our starting SS. The guy, if he made the team, would share time with Andino, and i hope with Wilson too. I do not think that the marlins are expecting much more out of him.

If the greatest baseball player of our generation (maybe of all time) comes back after an 11 month layoff and struggles to perform to par, how in the flying f*** would you expect a marginal/subpar baseball player to be even remotely respectable after a two-year layoff? Instead of giving a non-roster invite to him, why not give it to Dan Marino. He played 3B in HS and can probably hit better than Lowell at this point.

 

Whoa buddy breathe in and out, woooooza. I don't think we are looking to sign ordonez to be our starting SS. The guy, if he made the team, would share time with Andino, and i hope with Wilson too. I do not think that the marlins are expecting much more out of him.

Why sign a guy that will be more expensive than Andino and Wilson combined and produce similar or (much more likely) worse results? There's no point even bringing him in. I mean, seriously. What's the point?

  • Author

Why sign a guy that will be more expensive than Andino and Wilson combined and produce similar or (much more likely) worse results? There's no point even bringing him in. I mean, seriously. What's the point?

 

 

Well number one he wont be more than Andino and Wilson combined! If he were to make the team he would be playing for league min. Second I dont know why everyone is talking about andino for??? The kid is not READY for the pros! I would want Ordonez anyday over Andino! He was late one very pitch last season! His attitude stinks, If he starts for us next season that would really SUCK!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.