Marlins hire Rick Kranitz as pitching coach

Accord

MIAMI -- Slowly but surely the pieces of the Marlins' coaching staff are falling into place.

On Friday, the Marlins hired Rick Kranitz out of the Cubs organization as their new pitching coach. The 47-year-old spent the past two seasons as the pitching coach for Chicago's Triple-A Iowa squad.

Also, according to an industry source, manager Joe Girardi spoke this week to Don Baylor about a position on the staff -- either bench or hitting coach.

A former manager with the Rockies and Cubs, Baylor previously served as a bench coach for the Mets (2003-04). This past season, he was the hitting coach for the Mariners.

Girardi, 41, formerly was managed by Baylor in Colorado and Chicago.

While Baylor spoke with Girardi this week, no job offer was officially made at the time.

The hiring of Kranitz leaves the Marlins seeking three coaches: bench, hitting and bullpen.

Thus far, in addtion to Kranitz, the staff includes Perry Hill (first base and infield) and Bobby Meacham (third base). Hill is expected to be the lone returning coach from Jack McKeon's staff last year.

The Marlins also have asked for and received permission to interview Diamondbacks Minor League field coordinator Jack Howell regarding the hitting coach position.

Kranitz replaces Mark Wiley, who withdrew his name from consideration this week. The organization and Girardi had been split on the pitching coach. Girardi was pushing for Jimmy Key, while the front office was a backing Wiley.

In another move, Luis Dorante, the Marlins' bullpen coach this past season, has been offered the Double-A Carolina managing spot.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=fla

Look what happened with Fredi Gonzalez. Long time minor league coach and suddenly he's a managerial candidate.

Look, I'm all for letting a manager have "his guys," but this is a desperation move. Jimmy Key was his #1, and he burnt bridges with Wiley...

There's a way to assemble a staff, and there's a way not to, and sadly, I think Girardi's taking the latter.

I really hate Girardi's coaching tactics already. He's been given enough of a chance already, and he hasn't shown ANY positive results since his signing.

I saw him walking out of a Publix the other day, and he slightly tripped...I mean, COME ON! How can anyone be our manager if he lacks hand-eye coordination? I just don't understand why people would support such an incapable person to manage this team.

I really hate Girardi's coaching tactics already. He's been given enough of a chance already, and he hasn't shown ANY positive results since his signing.

I saw him walking out of a Publix the other day, and he slightly tripped...I mean, COME ON! How can anyone be our manager if he lacks hand-eye coordination? I just don't understand why people would support such an incapable person to manage this team.

:lol

I can assure you that Kranitz is as pumped as ever about taking on this job and doing as good of a job as anyone out there will. Admin Rothschild has nothing but good things to say about his coaching abilities and the job he did with AAA Iowa last year. Van Buren was the Minor League Relief Pitcher of the year and credits all of his success to Kranitz....Let's give this guy a warm welcome and not start dogging him quite yet.

Cub fan here trolling the boards to see if there has been any news on Juan Pierre, but I thought I'd chime in on the Marlins hiring Kranitz.

I just wanted to let you guys know that Kranitz is someone the Cubs have liked for a long time now, and he's pretty deserving of being a major league pitching coach. Had Admin Rothschild taken the Tigers job, Kranitz likely would have become the Cubs pitching coach. I'm sure being connected with Girardi while he was with the Cubs helped him in getting the Marlins job.

Anyhow like I said, I just wanted to chime in and let all of you Marlins fans know that you're getting a pretty legit coach I think.

Now the idea of hiring Don Baylor on the other hand . . .