Top scout Ferreira fired

MarlinatPenn

Top scout Ferreira fired

By Mike Berardino

Staff writer

Posted November 20 2005

Fred Ferreira was so good at finding young ballplayers in dusty outposts, his frustrated foes pinned him with a nickname some years ago.

"Shark of the Caribbean," they called him. Friday, the shark finally stopped swimming.

According to baseball sources, the Marlins fired Ferreira, their senior vice president and director of international operations, after four seasons with the organization.

Ferreira, who counts Vladimir Guerrero and Bernie Williams among his 30-plus signings to make the majors, recently re-upped for another season. It is believed the Marlins will honor his contract.

Meanwhile, Marlins Assistant General Manager Michael Hill will reportedly be asked to interview for the Red Sox GM job. Hill, a Harvard graduate who has been with the Marlins since September 2002, could interview early this week.

Other teams have come after Ferreira during his six seasons working for Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria, including two years in Montreal. Each time the Marlins have said Ferreira was not available.

It's unclear what caused them to sour on the arrangement, but tight finances were likely a factor. It's possible the Marlins won't fill Ferreira's position, choosing instead to rotate other scouts through the Caribbean and Europe, where Ferreira set up a Dutch academy.

Reds international scouting director Johnny Almaraz and former Nationals farm director Adam Wogan are two potential replacements.

Meanwhile, as the Marlins' search for a hitting coach drags on, Assistant GM Jim Fleming recently offered to come down from the front office to take the job. Fleming hasn't been in uniform since 1991-92, when he served as hitting coach for Jamestown in the New York-Penn League.

Don Baylor, who managed Joe Girardi in Chicago and Colorado, is a top candidate to join the new manager's staff.

However, Baylor has told friends he would rather be the bench coach instead of the hitting coach, his role last year with the Mariners.

The Marlins' front office prefers a strong Latin American presence on the bench. Carlos Tosca (Diamondbacks) and Manny Acta (Mets) are among those under consideration.

Mike Berardino may be reached at mberardino@sun-sentinel.com.

Am I upset to see this happen? Yes, but this almost happened last off-season when the office almost mutinied, so I'm surprised it lasted this far.

Besides, I can't recall a single international player signed by the Loria regime that makes Ferreira worth the salary he was probably commanding.

As RFerry alluded, I don't think we sided with the right guy in this power struggle (Beinfest) but it isn't the end of the world...correct me if I'm wrong but we've been run circles around in our international scouting in recent years.