This Thanksgiving I give thanks

RockyMountainMarlin

Because he gave us great times the last couple of years and now that he has gone the franchise is beginning to crumble.

This week might go down as one of the worst weeks in SoFla sports history along with the 98 firesale and the Dolphins playoff loss to the Jags and Marino's following retirement.

:thumbdown

No, because we know for a fact that we'll get quality players in return (ML ready even).

'97 was all about trading stars for might-be's.

If the only two big pieces we trade are Delgado and Beckett, then it's nowhere near as bad as '97.

But I share your sentiments about Jack.

Heh.

He's partially the reason why it crumbled. He couldn't lead a high priced talented veteran squad to the playoffs.

This is not the worst thing that can happen. Some might argue that this had to happen or else something worse would. Those who are freaking out do not know or do not want to admit the problems the Marlins face.

OK, I guess we can talk about this until we are blue in the face, but Jack is not to blame for the Marlins not reaching the postseason. I guess it's his fault that A.J went 0-5, or whatever, at the end of the season after his 7-0 run... I guess it's his fault that Mike Lowell struggled all year...

Mike Lowell's more individually to blame than Jack McKeon, but that isn't to say I'm freeing him from total blame.

If anything, Admin Beinfest not promoting Jeremy Hermida before September 1st is more to blame than any questionable bullpen management that McKeon made. Hermida could have been a spark to the team like Francoeur was to the Braves...ah well.

I agree. Loria trusted Jack too long. In 2004 and 2005, the Marlins had the talent to win the NL East, but underacheived significantly. We can also be thankful to Bill Robinson.

To that point, as Jack had more influence on the coaching staff around him, the more lackadaisical team play became. Clubhouse energy was on the constant decline throughout 2004 and 2005. Jack didn't have the foresight to surround himself with youthful, energetic men that could balance his old and experienced ways.

Even with that, I feel quite a bit of gratitude to Jack for the wonderful ride we had in 2003.

We could be Cubs fans, or Rockies fans, or Devil Ray fans......still hoping and waiting. Two rings since our inception isn't bad at all.

I agree. Loria trusted Jack too long. In 2004 and 2005, the Marlins had the talent to win the NL East, but underacheived significantly. We can also be thankful to Bill Robinson.

To that point, as Jack had more influence on the coaching staff around him, the more lackadaisical team play became. Clubhouse energy was on the constant decline throughout 2004 and 2005. Jack didn't have the foresight to surround himself with youthful, energetic men that could balance his old and experienced ways.

and I bet he tried but there were a lot of factors involved (money being just one of them). You really think he didnt want a Ozzie-like personality (Latin and energetic)?

and I bet he tried but there were a lot of factors involved (money being just one of them). You really think he didnt want a Ozzie-like personality (Latin and energetic)?

No I don't. Jack could have hired anyone he wanted and he ended up with Wiley as pitching coach, Cox at 3B and Dunlop on the bench.....guys more of his mindset.