Will Cabrera and Willis DECLINE to sign long-term now?

Accord

With all that's happened, do you think Cabs and Willis will be more hesitant or even refuse to sign long term after all this sh*t that's gone on over the past week? Mike Lowell said he wanted to be a Marlin for the rest of his career and he walked the walk by signing a long term with us, that's quite a disconcerning message to send to Cabs and D-Train. They both already have rings, so it's not like they would be anxious to sign somewhere like New York or Boston for the sole purpose of just getting a ring.

I think Dave or someone said that it has been against Marlins policy to make long term deals. I don't think the Marlins will even be able to offer them competitive long term deals (we are talking about one of the top hitters in the league and a CY Young runner up).

Also, I can see both of them going for contenders. Heres some food for thought: Where could you see the 2 of them ending up if they were FA's this year? I could personally see Cab's going to St Lous. THey need new OF's and could use a 3b once Rolen's contract is up. Willis is basically the highest bidder. Maybe back to Chicago?

They already got their rings, I am sure they can be patient enough to work with some young talent. Now if we never won the WS in '03, I am pretty sure it would have made them think about pursuing the rings more.

Dontrelle should have and almost won a Cy Young. He is the utmost team player and always says the right thing and acts the right way but he wouldn't be human if he wasn't thinking about how many games he might have a shot of winning with this new team.

Players never know how long their careers are going to last. No one likes to go backwards.

Reality is this:

Every athlete wants to win and I know Willis for sure wants to win not really sure about Cabs.You want to play for a team that will give you best shot to win.

Go to park and play pickup game and the samething goes on in the park.You want to put together the best team and people want to play for best team possible.

I'd say the chances right now are slim to none.

Look at the casualties of this off-season: Delgado, Lowell, Beckett.

In Delgado you have a slugger who lived up to every expectation, earned the contract he was given...oh, but that money...buh bye.

In Lowell you had the popular past face of the franchise, one bad (albeit really bad) year and that money...buh bye.

In Beckett you had the franchise corner stone, called untouchable bye just about everyone the final weekend of the season (remember the, "you look around the clubhouse and you only know for sure that three guys will be back...Beckett, Willis, Cabrera" comment bye either Conine or Jones?), oh well...buh bye.

As long as the franchise doesn't offer no-trade, and conflictedly decides it's going to work on a budget, there is no reason to sign here long-term.

The Marlins set a real bad precedent handling this offseason the way they did...