Are we done?

prinmemito

I think we could be close to done with the "firesale." Or perhaps if we do trade any of our starters or relievers it will be for young but established and relatively cheap major league players (Toby Hall, Joey Gaithrait (sp?)). According to the Sentinel, the Marlins have shed over $25 million from last year's payroll, meaning we're at about $40 million for next season. Looks like the "market correction" is complete. Unless we want to get to about $30 million.

With Pierre, Lo Duca, Luis, Miggy, and Hermida coming back, the team isn't terrible. It's still pretty good. You replace Lo Duca with Toby Hall and Pierre with Gaithrait and the team still looks good. The starting rotation isn't very strong, but what the hell. The team will still be exciting to watch.

I think we could be close to done with the "firesale." Or perhaps if we do trade any of our starters or relievers it will be for young but established and relatively cheap major league players (Toby Hall, Joey Gaithrait (sp?)). According to the Sentinel, the Marlins have shed over $25 million from last year's payroll, meaning we're at about $40 million for next season. Looks like the "market correction" is complete. Unless we want to get to about $30 million.

With Pierre, Lo Duca, Luis, Miggy, and Hermida coming back, the team isn't terrible. It's still pretty good. You replace Lo Duca with Toby Hall and Pierre with Gaithrait and the team still looks good. The starting rotation isn't very strong, but what the hell. The team will still be exciting to watch.

According to http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/, the Pierre to Cubs deal is complete.

we aren't done yet

Looks like JP to Chicago Cubs deal is done... and we're getting three pitching prospects. Why the hell are we going after so many damn pitchers???? Once this deal is complete, we will have dealt Delgado, Beckett, Lowell, and JP for six pitching prospects and two position players. I suppose the FO thinks one of the six pitching prospects will turn out like D-Train.

We better not deal Luis if Lo Duca and JP are both dealt. Maybe we're dealing JP to Chicago for prospects and then sending those prospects to the D-Rays for Gaithrait?

If we deal JP and Lo Duca, that will be an extra $11 million shed from last year's payroll, bringing the total payroll relief to about $37 million. Add Mota and we're looking at about $39 or $40 million. Damn.

After thinking about it for a bit I am almost would rather go all the way with this as frustrating as it is , we might as well trade Pierre , Lo Duca , and Castillo because by the time we are ready to compete they will be too old (especially castillo and loduca) . the one thing the marlins farm system does not have an abundance of is position player prospects load up on them and hope in 3 years we are ready to make a run again...thats if they are in florida if not i could care less what they do :)

I'm back. Even though I had no intention to post again, these last few days have been too emotion provoking to not have an outlet that does not involve commiting assault.

Any way, I agree with Irish. If they are going to do this, they might as well go all the way. Besides, I was looking at this Delgado deal and, although I hate that he's staying in our division, I think that Beinfest has pulled off another ripoff and of course it was against the team that usually gets suckered into these things. If Jacobs comes here and has just a modest season of about 20-25 HRs . 270+ and 75+ RBI (which he's capable of easily doing), do we feel bad. I wouldn't. He's how many years younger and how many millions cheaper? And we also have Petit. On many of the other sites, there are Mets fans actually concerned about this trade. We may have pulled off something equivalent to Kasmir to the D-Rays. Also, take note that in the last few days, once everything is finalized, we have added 2 Venezuelan players. I think that helps build chemistry with a certain young star on our team. As for Beckett being traded. I would have waited another season to see if he's finally healthy, but with the latest reports, it seems that Beinfest is pulling off another Dempster type move.

In short; it seems that, even against his will, Beinfest is doing the same thing that he did throughout 2002 when it seemed like we were having a fire sale, but all the while, Beinfest was ripping off sucker after sucker. He even had to change one trade because Selig himself felt that it was too much. Remember, in less than 9 months, he traded away Clement, Alfonseca, Floyd, Dempster, P. Wilson, and CJ. He came back with D-Train, Pavano, Encarnacion, and JP. If you have to do this with your organization, I feel that we have the best GM for doing this job. I may be giving you all the opportunity to go on the attack again about my comments, but I trust Admin Beinfest. I think what he has done in his time here definitely has earned him that trust from us fans.

Also, if they do move, I hope that it's to PR so we can at least have a good chance to get it on our local TV. If they move to LV, I don't know where I'll go. I can't be a D-Rays fan because I don't like AL baseball and I won't go back to being a Mets fan like I used to be before the Marlins existence because I can't see myself among those piece of craps that call themselves baseball knowledgable fans and go about blindly following the blue and puke orange covering over-hyped players like K. Matsui, K. Benson, and the rest.

any way

Go Marlins!!!

There are still some rumored trades in the air:

(1) JP to Cubs for, let me guess, more pitching prospects.

(2) LoDuca to Arizona for I have no idea who.

(3) Mota and Villone to the Yankees for, again, I have no idea who.

No, we are not done. Once we reach the 20 million payroll range (like in 1998), then they will stop and announce to the world that this will be an exciting team to watch, and those who weren't there in 1998 will actually believe it and around 100 people will attend every game to see Dontrelle pitch around 500 after a Cy Young year (or almost), and all other unknown players lose around 100 games. Castillo will be traded before the July trading deadline.

And history repeats again...

Why are the Marlins looking outside the organization for a catcher??

Toby Hall is already 30 and shouldn't even be considered as the backstop of the future...

Does the organization not think that Willingham can provide at cacther now and down the line?

I agree 100%. Toby Hall is almost 30 and still hasn't figured it out yet. I will never trade Josh Williangham for him.

Why are the Marlins looking outside the organization for a catcher??

Toby Hall is already 30 and shouldn't even be considered as the backstop of the future...

Does the organization not think that Willingham can provide at cacther now and down the line?

The thinking behind this is that Willinghamn is a poor defensive catcher and has no "recognized" ability at calling a good game. He is, according to most people, most suited to the DH. Since we are in the National League, he is considered trade bait.

I don't like the idea of getting Hall. I would keep LoDuca. But that's just me, and it's already obvious that the Marlins can care less for what I think... :p