Perhaps One Way Our New Rotation Might Help Us

CyggyMarlin

Even though our new rotation isn't set yet, I wonder if there is one way it might help the team..

Willis - L

Vargas - L

Johnson - R

Olsen - L

Petit/Sanchez - R

Have the Marlins ever had a rotation that was lefty heavy?

For now, I think either Petit or Sanchez will make the rotation for Opening Day and the other one coming up later...But if you look at the rotation, there would be 3 lefties... Most teams have big sluggers who sometimes sit out against lefties... Will teams play their big bats against the young pitchers becuse they feel the Marlins pitchers (outside of D-Train) are inexperienced? Will this work in our favor? Just a thought...

In most cases when a team faces a lefty, doesn't the manager usually have to change the line-up around? Last year against the Phillies, a few Philly bats had to sit because Willis was pitching...How many times does a team change a line-up when facing Randy Johnson? I'm not comparing our lefties to RJ (so dont even go there), but I think having a bunch of lefties might make a slight difference when it comes to facing other's teams line-ups

Also, if you stagger the lefty righty pitchers, it gives the other team's offense a different scenraio each game and doesn't allow them to get into a routine... Each game would change the batter's perspective of how the ball is coming at them

Yes your right, alot of managers will change the line up when they face a LHP, sometimes it could be an advantage. And some managers go by the book and only look at numbers, and most batters generally don't do as well against lefties, so yes it is possible we could have some match up advantages. The best way to see will be to look for any trends when we start our LHPs.

I don't think they've had the greatest success in the world, but in the grand scheme of things it shouldn't be a problem. These aren't three guys that are in the Majors just because they throw with their left hand, they are there because they are talented and their arm orientation is just a bonus.

They change around their lineups because the players they take out don't hit lefties well. While some may debate the usefulness of it, these managers feel it is their team that is benefitting. by replacing a hitter who wouldn't have done well and giving him rest on this day rather a day when the platoon advantage is in the players' favor.

Even though our new rotation isn't set yet, I wonder if there is one way it might help the team..

Willis - L

Vargas - L

Johnson - R

Olsen - L

Petit/Sanchez - R

Have the Marlins ever had a rotation that was lefty heavy?

For now, I think either Petit or Sanchez will make the rotation for Opening Day and the other one coming up later...But if you look at the rotation, there would be 3 lefties... Most teams have big sluggers who sometimes sit out against lefties... Will teams play their big bats against the young pitchers becuse they feel the Marlins pitchers (outside of D-Train) are inexperienced? Will this work in our favor? Just a thought...

I think it's just a nice balance, I know what you are getting at but just because Vargas and Olsen pitch South Paw, does not mean they will go Randy Johnson against every team, it's a nice balance but the pitchers need to show they have the talent to be there. If I were a lefty, I doubt Giardi would just call me up for the stands to pitch against the Braves. It's more a matter of how talented the pitchers are then what throwing type they are.

I heard Mike Jacobs is playing in the Venezuelan League.....how common is it for someone not of Hispanic descent to play in that league?

It happens with more frequency now than it used to. A lot of young guys (under the age of 26 or 27) will go down there just to improve their game. I'm glad he's doing it. However, he's not doing that well. Last I heard he's hitting about .200. Maybe he's having trouble adjusting culturally. Who knows. (If that's the reason, it makes you appreciate how good these Latin players are to come to the US and just tear it up.)