Traded `just in time'

PBMarlin

It's still painful to read. :confused

Traded `just in time'

Former Marlins slugger Carlos Delgado is excited about being dealt to the New York Mets in light of Florida's `fire sale.'

BY CLARK SPENCER

[email protected]

Sounding as if he had escaped a burning building in the nick of time, first baseman Carlos Delgado heaved a sigh of relief Monday when he was sworn in as the newest member of the New York Mets.

''I got out of Florida just in time,'' Delgado said, four days after the Marlins traded him to the Mets for three prospects.

``They're having a fire sale down there.''

While Delgado refused to knock the Marlins and owner Jeffrey Loria, who assured him in September that he would not be traded, the slugger said he was looking forward to joining the Mets. ''I'm not here to accuse anybody of trying to deceive me or nothing,'' Delgado said of Loria's promise. ``If you own a store and you're losing the house, then it's time to do something about it, and that's what he did.''

Marlins president David Samson announced last week that, with no deal in sight for a new stadium, the franchise had received permission to seek relocation and that payroll would be slashed. Two days later, starting pitcher Josh Beckett and third baseman Mike Lowell were traded to the Boston Red Sox for four prospects, and Delgado was shipped to the Mets.

MORE CUTS COMING

The Marlins are expected to make more trades to pare payroll, with center fielder Juan Pierre, second baseman Luis Castillo and catcher Paul Lo Duca looming as the likely targets in a purge that mirrors the one that followed the Marlins' 1997 World Series triumph.

The Marlins outbid the Mets in January for Delgado, a free agent who agreed to a four-year deal worth $52 million. But after paying him $4 million in the first year of a back-loaded contract, they unloaded him to the Mets.

Delgado was everything the Marlins hoped he would be, hitting .301 with 33 home runs and 115 RBI. Delgado finished sixth in the National League's MVP voting. But with $48 million left on his contract, including $13.5 million next season, he was traded to one of the few teams that could afford him.

In return for Delgado, the Marlins received first baseman Mike Jacobs and a pair of minor-league prospects, pitcher Yusmeiro Petit and infielder Grant Psomas.

`THINGS HAPPEN'

Delgado said he signed with the Marlins before last season because he felt the team afforded him the best chance to reach the playoffs for the first time in his career. But the Marlins fizzled late in 2005, and Delagdo said he hopes to help the Mets reach the postseason in '06.

''When I went to the Marlins last year, I signed a long-term contract, and when you sign that, I thought I was going to be there for four years,'' said Delgado, who bought a home in Aventura and is planning to get married this weekend in Puerto Rico. ``But after you've been in this business a while, you understand that sometimes things happen. I welcome the move. It's time to go to New York, turn the page. It's not about the past. It's about the present and the future.''

Loria, who was vacationing in Europe when the trade was sealed on Thanksgiving, immediately phoned Delgado to inform him of the trade. Delgado had no choice in the matter, as he did not have a no-trade clause in the contract he worked out with the Marlins.

But Delgado said he never expected the Marlins to dump payroll.

''They were very hopeful they were going to get the stadium, and I think it was a rude awakening when they didn't,'' he said.

``Obviously, they were banking on some revenue coming from the stadium, and it didn't work out that well. Up until the end of the season, they were talking about coming back, trying gto do this, trying to do that, and the next thing you know, a month, six months later, it's like this guy is going over there, we're not signing this free agent. So I got a pretty good indication we were talking a 180.''

And from the PB Post:

Delgado in N.Y. state of mind

By Joe Capozzi

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

For someone who two weeks ago expressed anger about the prospect of being traded, former Marlins first baseman Carlos Delgado sounded thrilled Monday to be with the New York Mets.

"I got out of Florida just in time. There's a fire sale over there,'' he told reporters at a Shea Stadium news conference.

While the Marlins are lowering expectations, the Mets are pumping them up. Monday, they reached preliminary agreement with All-Star closer Billy Wagner on a four-year contract worth $43 million.

Delgado is owed $48 million for the remaining three years of his deal. In September, Delgado said, he had no indication that the Marlins soon would begin dumping contracts ? especially not his.

After all, Delgado said, Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria had pulled him aside in Houston to tell him to ignore trade rumors because "you're not going anywhere.''

On Thursday, Delgado was driving around in his native Puerto Rico when Loria called to tell him he was being dealt to the Mets. But Delgado said he did not think Loria lied to him.

"What is he going to say?" Delgado said. "I took his word for what it was. We don't want to be that naive. In this business, things happen. ...

"I'm not here to accuse anybody of trying to deceive me. If you own a store and you're losing the house, it's time to do something about it and that's what he did.''

When the Marlins missed the playoffs, Delgado said, he assumed Loria and the front office would bring back the core roster. But trade rumors intensified and the Marlins made little or no contact with key free agents such as reliever Todd Jones and shortstop Alex Gonzalez. Delgado couldn't get an answer about his future and vented his frustration to the media.

"I got a pretty good indication we were taking a 180,'' he said.

Delgado also said he will not miss playing at cavernous Dolphins Stadium, even though he hit 16 of his 33 home runs there in 2005.

"It's tough, especially a ballpark that big," he said. "They get 20,000, 30,000, and it looks like there's 10,000 people.

"The stadium wasn't the best setup for a baseball team and it's pretty unfortunate, because there was good potential," he said. "But that's in the past. I'm looking forward to seeing Shea and 50,000 people screaming. I know they're loud.''

Delgado said he hopes those Mets fans won't boo him, as they did last season after he rejected an offer from New York before signing with Florida.

He said he will join other players standing on the field during the playing of God Bless America. In the past he has not done that because he objected to what he called the mixing of politics and baseball.

"The Mets have a policy that everybody should stand for God Bless America and I will be there," he said. "I will not cause any distractions to the ball club."

Delgado will wear No. 21 for the Mets, an honor for him because that is the number worn by his hero, Roberto Clemente, the late Hall of Famer who played for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Delgado said he wanted 25, which he wore with the Marlins, but that is taken by infielder Kazuo Matsui.

Link

And from the Sun-Sentinel:

Carlos Delgado: 'I welcome the move'

By Juan C. Rodriguez

Staff Writer

Posted November 29 2005

Their assumption was correct.

This was why Carlos Delgado didn't let the Marlins' refusal to include a no-trade clause in his contract last offseason become a deal breaker. With a backloaded, $52 million agreement, Delgado and his representative figured he was never in danger of ending up in an undesirable situation.

If the Marlins did trade him after his first season here, it wouldn't be to the Royals or Brewers or Devil Rays or Reds. It would be to a team that could afford him and would be a postseason contender or close to becoming one.

Unfortunately for Marlins fans, it would be a team like the Mets.

Monday, Delgado donned the division rival's attire for the first time during a Shea Stadium news conference introducing him to the Big Apple. On Thanksgiving Day, the Marlins finalized a deal that sent Delgado and $7 million to the Mets for three prospects.

"We were very welcomed to the idea of coming to New York and being a part of this ballclub and this community," Delgado said. "I'm here because I want to be here."

That wasn't the case a year ago, when Delgado shunned the Mets' free-agent advances and signed with the Marlins. At the time he believed they offered him a better chance of reaching the playoffs.

The same can no longer be said. The Marlins are shedding payroll while the Mets arguably are atop the hot stove-league standings. Hours after Delgado's news conference, the Mets reached a preliminary agreement with Billy Wagner, the premier closer on the market, on a four-year, $43 million contract.

"I never had the opportunity to be in a playoff," said Delgado, who will wear No. 21 because Kaz Matsui has 25. "I never had the opportunity to be in a playoff race, so I'm really looking forward to this."

Last season might qualify as a playoff race to most, considering the Marlins were leading the wild-card race in mid-September. The last two weeks were a disaster and the Marlins finished six off the playoff pace.

During a September road trip, owner Jeffrey Loria told Delgado he would not be traded. Considering the direction the Marlins are going, keeping that promise no doubt would have caused Delgado greater disdain.

"Obviously, there was a situation with the Marlins where they were getting rid of some of their players," Delgado said. "I always said that I wanted to win. It's a great opportunity [with the Mets] ... I was really excited to come to a place where they are legitimately showing they want to put a winning ballclub on the field."

The Marlins won't have to wait long to renew acquaintances. After a season-opening series in Houston, they play the first of three at Shea Stadium on April 7. Delgado and the Mets don't visit South Florida until May 26.

"When I went to the Marlins I signed a multi-year contract thinking I would be in Florida for a while. We all understand how this business is, wake up one day in Miami and go to bed the next day in New York ... I welcome the move. It's time to go to New York. This isn't about the past. It's about the present and future."

Juan C. Rodriguez can be reached at [email protected].

Link

Think Delgado might want to hit a couple of dingers off us? Or will he bust out a Mo Vaghn?

Given that Carlos was not too happy about being traded, I expect him to be very motivated to pound the ball out of the park whenever he comes in town. He's going to make our rookie starters look bad. Mark my words. :lol

Think Delgado might want to hit a couple of dingers off us? Or will he bust out a Mo Vaghn?

Given that Carlos was not too happy about being traded, I expect him to be very motivated to pound the ball out of the park whenever he comes in town. He's going to make our rookie starters look bad. Mark my words. :lol

BUT!! He wont touch willis mark my words!! :thumbup :notworthy