No Arbitration Offers

PBMarlin

Only AJ got the automatic offer to get the draft pick. I'm very surprised Jones was not offered arbitration.

In addition, the Marlins did not offer arbitration to any of their free agents before Wednesday's midnight deadline with the exception of A.J. Burnett, which was a formality to assure they receive a compensatory draft pick from the Blue Jays.

That means Conine along with others like Damion Easley, Antonio Alfonseca, and Ismael Valdez are precluded from negotiating with the club until next May. The Marlins did re-sign Brian Moehler to a one-year deal and Lenny Harris to a minor-league contract with an invite to spring training.

Link

The only reason I can think of is the Marlins don't want the first round draft picks next year. They are doing all they can to conserve cash and don't want to pay the signing bonuses. They'll get a sandwich pick and 3rd rounder for AJ and that's it (other than their own picks).

Is there a reason that Enc and TJ wern't offered arby??

Did Beinfest forget about them amongst all these trades??

Enc isn't a type-a, so the risk wasn't worth the reward considering he'd likely take it and make about $6 million next season through arbitration.

Jones' deal with the Tigers is probably like what we had with Al Leiter last offseason, understood to be good only if not offered arbitration. Still, I agree that Jones probably should have gotten it given that he's now the best available closer left on the market with Wickman and Hoffman signing today...

The only reason I can think of is the Marlins don't want the first round draft picks next year. They are doing all they can to conserve cash and don't want to pay the signing bonuses. They'll get a sandwich pick and 3rd rounder for AJ and that's it (other than their own picks).

I didn't even think about that, good point.

If that's the main reason, then that really pisses me off. Even if they don't want to pay out bonuses, you can select players who might be second round talent but will sign for a much smaller bonus and get them into the system, which is better than not getting any prospects at all. This organization needs to stockpile picks as much as possible, bonuses be damned.

I doubt not wanting to pay out bonuses is the reason for not offering arby to these guys. However, I can't think of a good reason to not offer it to Jones after he already agreed to terms on a multiyear deal today.

If that's the main reason, then that really pisses me off. Even if they don't want to pay out bonuses, you can select players who might be second round talent but will sign for a much smaller bonus and get them into the system, which is better than not getting any prospects at all. This organization needs to stockpile picks as much as possible, bonuses be damned.

I doubt not wanting to pay out bonuses is the reason for not offering arby to these guys. However, I can't think of a good reason to not offer it to Jones after he already agreed to terms on a multiyear deal today.

They did that whole second round talent this past year. They passed on some pretty good players with signability in mind...I think they just didn't want to go that route again as it is counterproductive.

They did that whole second round talent this past year. They passed on some pretty good players with signability in mind...I think they just didn't want to go that route again as it is counterproductive.

It's counterproductive if all you draft is pitchers when your farm system already has a ton - doing that again this year would be kind of pointless.

If they did the same position loading strategy this year only with positional prospects, I think it would be pretty productive.

A 2nd round talent taken in a first round slot is better than no pick at all.

Is there a reason that Enc and TJ wern't offered arby??

Did Beinfest forget about them amongst all these trades??

Marlins declined to offer arbitration to 1B/OF Jeff Conine, INF Damion Easley, RHP Antonio Alfonseca and RHP Ismael Valdez, OF Juan Encarnacion, SS Alex Gonzalez, RHP Todd Jones, RHP Jim Mecir, 3B Mike Mordecai and RHP Paul Quantrill.

Those draft picks would just cost money to sign. The Marlins made offers to both Conine and Alfonseca, but neither accepted. Dec. 8 - 1:00 am et

Im sick to my stomach right now. I hate to say it but Loria needs to sell the team to someone more wealthy who can atleast offered to pay draft picks. :confused :(

I find this very odd. However atleast two of those weren't going to be playing next year in a big league uniform. Three others may have made more money in a one year arbitration deal than a multi-year deal on the open market. While the others were role players or were not to have any draft pick compensation.

I have no problem with having Dontrelle as the clubhouse leader. He has leader written all over him based on the way he conducts himself on and off the field.

I'd put Harris in the category, actually. I don't know about 'leader', but from what I've heard, he gets along with everyone and is one of the biggest voices in the clubhouse.