"Mr. Marlin" officially signs with the Orioles

ultimopain

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-o...ov=ap&type=lgns

Orioles, Conine agree to one-year contract

By DAVID GINSBURG, AP Sports Writer

December 21, 2005

BALTIMORE (AP) -- Jeff Conine is headed back to Baltimore.

The Orioles and Conine agreed Tuesday on a one-year, $1.7 million contract that allows him to earn another $650,000 in performance bonuses next year based on plate appearances and games.

Details of Conine's agreement, which also includes a team option for 2007, were disclosed by a person familiar with the negotiations who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been announced yet. His decision to sign with Baltimore was first reported by The Sun on its Web site.

"(Conine) is a guy we targeted all along," Orioles manager Sam Perlozzo told The Sun. "When we talked about the chemistry of the ballclub, we wanted him to be back. It looks like he's going to be in a lot bigger role, and we are comfortable with that. Right now, I see him playing some first base and left field, but he's also going to DH."

The 39-year-old Conine played with the Orioles from 1999-03. He hit .304 with three homers and 33 RBIs in 131 games with the Florida Marlins last season, including .327 in 65 games after the All-Star break.

The 1995 All-Star game MVP brings a solid bat, the ability to play several positions and, most importantly, leadership in the clubhouse. During his previous stint with the Orioles, his presence on and off the field were almost as important as his impressive statistics.

Conine hit .291, .284, .311 and .273 in his four years in Baltimore. His best season was 2001, when he supplemented his .311 batting average with 14 homers, 97 RBIs and 12 stolen bases in 139 games. He played third base, outfield and first base that year.

Conine was traded from the Orioles to Florida in August 2003, beginning his second stint with the Marlins. He is a lifetime .288 hitter, with 198 homers and 968 RBIs in 1,781 games.

In 2005, the Marlins used him as a starter in left field for much of September and as a defensive replacement at first base. Conine batted .309 (88-for-285) in the 74 games he started.

If he is traded, Conine's salary would increase by $250,000 annually.

---------

Good luck Jeff. One of my favorite players. :(

I am going to try and get Conine to do a signing at my store (Batter's Box) now that he will still be local for February and March.... keep an eye out for more news. I had this in mind if he was going to sign with the Orioles because of all the loyal Marlins fans, I know they would come to a Conine appearance. He is also a spokesperson/supporter of the Joe Dimaggio's Children's Hospital so we are thinking about paying him a few hundred and maybe have like a $5 per autograph with all proceeds going to Joe D hospital. I think it can definitely happen

Guest markotsay7

It wasn't about the money

Honestly though, I would have sat him down and said, "Jeff, we know this team is crap, but we need and want you and your veteran leadership on this club. What does it take?"

Cut the freaking Mermaids if need be. Play without a bench coach. I would have given him anything he wanted. Donations to charities or his restaurant or anything.

I am going to try and get Conine to do a signing at my store (Batter's Box) now that he will still be local for February and March.... keep an eye out for more news. I had this in mind if he was going to sign with the Orioles because of all the loyal Marlins fans, I know they would come to a Conine appearance. He is also a spokesperson/supporter of the Joe Dimaggio's Children's Hospital so we are thinking about paying him a few hundred and maybe have like a $5 per autograph with all proceeds going to Joe D hospital. I think it can definitely happen

Whate store are you talking about?

GOOD LUCK JEFF!

Batter's Box in Coral Springs, it's a baseball pro shop and indoor batting cages... we once had a Preston Wilson signing there a few years ago, also had Lenny Harris stop by as a customer. We also have a commercial that I see air during commercial breaks on FSN during marlins games, if anybody, I think I have the best shot at getting Conine to do a signing at the store