Brushes with greatness

Junior

i was one win away from facing antone smith in the playoffs last year

and he's only a sophmore but i know in sporting news he was ranked as one of the top 5 in the country for his class, a QB named stanley jennings. Ill get two more cracks at him. He actually looks exactly like omar jacobs.

Hopefully in the two years i have left in high school i'll get some more people.

Ricky Davis was the most amazing player and athlete I've ever seen before.. never played against him because I was a freshman and he was a senior.. but wow, he was unbelievable. Right on par with him was Tavian Banks and Timmy Dwight on the football side.. equally amazing.

Couple buddies of mine had some nice college careers in basketball and football but nothing past that.. I have a couple friends who are currently playing some minor league baseball though.

I played JV Football with Michigan State safety Eric Smith, one of the leading tacklers in the Big 10, for a year. He was a freshman, I was a junior. I hated every minute of it, only year I ever played.

I hope he makes the league, he was a good kid. I'd love to have his run-stuffing ability in Cincinnati.

I played basketball with three players that went on to play Division I. I was on the freshman team and they were varsity. That same year (and the next few years) my varsity high school basketball team had epic battles against a team led by Randy Messenger. I actually had no idea Randy was such a good baseball player. All I knew was that he could ball. Very athletic and very strong player.

Actually, I played some baseball (very little) with a guy named Billy Paganetti. He was supposed to be one of the top pure hitters in the 2000 draft and a good pitcher as well. He was an estimated mid first round pick. He announced before the draft that he would attend Stanford on a baseball scholarship; basically asked teams not to draft him. He was drafted in the 15th round anyway. A year later he blew out his elbow. Then his hand. Then his elbow again. Career over. It's such a sad story. :( He is a really good guy, too.

ok here we go......

Arod when i was at southwest and he was at westminster/ny yankees

i played with Michael tejera and hanzel izquerdo at southwest/Rangers i think....

played against David gil when he was at columbus/nationals AAA

played against Javi rodriguez/U.M./Angels AAA

played against manny crespo/career minor leaguer

played against micky lopez/i think brewers AAA

played against San pedro/david espinosa/Montanes/Omar falcon/kenny perez/mario saurez/steve mena/gio gonzalez/robert valido/gaby sanchez/all in minors

played against shanon Stewart

and many others

In high school, I played basketball against Roderick Wilmont, now playing at Indiana. He scored 16 points against us in the first half, then I guarded him for the second half and he only scored 4 more.

I also played against Ed Nelson in a rec league, he's now at UConn after being at Georgia Tech (transferred the year they played each other in the championship.) Blocked his shot twice in that game.

I wouldn't say either of those are brushes with greatness, but it's my only claim to fame.