Panthers Trades?

BannedOnce

Okay since theres only really like 10 people on here that care about hockey this question is for you:

given the panthers placement right now, within 10 pts of playoffs and within 15 of dead last...does the team make any trades?

we have a awesome young talented team but do we give some of it for expierence to push us into the playoff picture(as we did bringing newindyke and roberts) OR do we leave the team the way it is and just watch them grow and make the playoffs next year or in a couple of years as developed.

im just looking for opinions here, i know i would love to come down to south florida in may and june and watching my marlins play ball and my panthers in the hunt for the cup!

im going to ask my buddy up here whos dad has close ties with the management and ill be sure to post anything i hear from him about this situation either way though its good to see this team as close as they are...

why notlock up olli to show roberto that we will spend the money, then lock him up long term too. In the offseason go hard for some of the bigger names and next year we make the playoffs and bring in the fans.

What big names are out there?

Mostly defense, I can't think of any scorers that have people salivating.

why notlock up olli to show roberto that we will spend the money, then lock him up long term too. In the offseason go hard for some of the bigger names and next year we make the playoffs and bring in the fans.

What big names are out there?

Mostly defense, I can't think of any scorers that have people salivating.

I admit being a complete and total newbie to hockey so if I am totally wrong feel free to call me dumb and explain but I thought I saw that we needed more help in the defensive area. It seems often we give up alot of horrible shots on goal. Perhaps some assistance there.

I also have been told we have alot of depth in our minors, we dont have anyone to help out for scoring we could call up next year that might be ready?

plus wouldnt trading Olli just cause a bigger lack of scoring, specially if you couple that with making a whole at goalie without roberto?

Yes we need defensive help, but a huge part of the defense, Branislav Mezei, is out for the year with a torn ACL. Ed Jovonovski is going to be a free-agent, I'd be shocked if Keenan didn't go hard after him, but outside of one move like that, there isn't that much that needs to be done to the defense. Bouwmeester, Van Ryn, Mezei are a pretty good trio to have, filling that unit out is nice, but health can go a long way too.

My concern for the Panthers is their scoring. Even in the "new" NHL, they're bottom 3 in the league in most offensive categories and their most important young player (at least in my mind), Jay Bouwmeester, isn't contributing offensively as much as was to be expected of the next Paul Coffey.

The team needs to get healthy first and foremost, but to me, there has to be more of a focus on upgrading the scoring than the defense.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing us trade Luongo for a premier goal scorer.

Luongo for Gaborik? Minnesota wouldn't do that. They have a logjam at that position.

I thought Manny Fernandez was an UFA? They have Manny Fernandez, Dwayne Roloson, and they have this highly touted prospect that they really want to bring up by next year. While Luongo in all likelihood is better, from their standpoint, Gaborik is not worth Luongo with two solid NHL goaltenders on roster already and a highly touted prospect in the wings. (I forget the prospect's name at the moment)

The difference between Jovo and Bouwmeester is Jovo was and still is atrocious in his own end -- Bouwmeester is solid as a rock in his own end and is only 22 years old. He's on pace for 40 points and improving his physical game as well (he fought once earlier this year and has thrown some nice hip-checks)

Jovo has Vancouver fans up the wall with his turnovers and mis-timed pinches. He's alot like Bryan McCabe -- one of the better offensive defensmen in the game, but probably one of the last guys you want on the ice protecting a one-goal lead. Bouwmeester will be a much more complete player IMO.