Senators desperately want to trade for Olli Jokinen

Accord

I really hope Keenan doesn't do this....

TURIN -- The Senators are still hot on the tail of Florida Panthers centre Olli Jokinen.

Two NHL sources told the Sun yesterday Senators GM John Muckler failed in an attempt to get the Florida captain before the NHL's Olympic roster freeze.

According to one source, Muckler was huddled with Florida counterpart Mike Keenan during the recent GMs' meetings in Las Vegas, but the two sides couldn't come to a final agreement on a deal.

But the source said both teams agreed there would be more discussions closer to the NHL's March 9 trade deadline because Florida isn't willing to make a move at this point.

Following last night's final game before the Olympics, Muckler, along with assistant GM Peter Chiarelli and the scouting staff, will head to Florida to discuss what might happen next.

Not only will Muckler have to surrender the Senators' No. 1 pick in the 2006 NHL entry draft to get the 27-year-old Jokinen from the Panthers, there's talk Florida might also want injured winger Martin Havlat as part of the deal.

Though Havlat is supposed to be back in time for the playoffs, he is only a year away from unrestricted free agency and it could be difficult for the Senators to keep him long-term.

Keenan's No. 1 priority is to get Jokinen signed to a contract, but the two sides are nowhere close to that happening after he rebuffed a four-year, $16-million US offer last week.

"We are talking, but there's a significant difference between us," Jokinen's agent Todd Diamond said last night from Moscow.

The Senators would like to add more depth at centre sooner rather than later to take some of the pressure off Jason Spezza.

Last month, Muckler lost out in a bid to get centre Doug Weight from the St. Louis Blues when he was outbid by the Carolina Hurricanes.

The roster freeze will be lifted Feb. 27, the day after the Turin Games wrap up.

http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Senators/200...437974-sun.html

blah

I really dont like keenan. He doesnt seem to be doing that smart of moves ever. But I dont know that much of hockey so my opinion most likely means little. But, when the team is posting a profit and the salary is low and you have players just entering their prime you sign them. Not sell them off in cheap trades.

WOW! Never knew of this rumor.. Senators would be even more powerful. Although I do think that they will have a tail spin going into the 2nd half of the season and into the playoffs. In my opinion they will not win it all, they have 9 players in Torino. NO rest for the team.. While others are just chillin, relaxin.. staying loose..

Hope it doesnt happen, got to love Oli

Keenan does not do this. If he has any hope of keeping Luongo, Keenan keeps Olli. Olli deserves the raise to 5 million a year. He has single handedly made the Panthers matter offensively the past three years.

Yep, exactly what I was thinking. Luongo wants to see that this team is building towards a successful future and trading away your best scorer is not exactly the best way to show this.

I understand completley what Luongo is doing however i hate it. He has the chance to make a name for this team in the next few years just like the Marlins did.

I do respect the fact that Luongo is all about playing for a competetive team. I think I'd much rather do what it takes to keep Olli then Roberto. I love watching Olli.

blah

I really dont like keenan. He doesnt seem to be doing that smart of moves ever. But I dont know that much of hockey so my opinion most likely means little. But, when the team is posting a profit and the salary is low and you have players just entering their prime you sign them. Not sell them off in cheap trades.

Seriously.

All the moves Keenan made would have been great in the old NHL and we would probably be a 4th or 5th seed team in the playoffs, but in the new NHL these moves absolutely blow.

Jokinen is much more replacable than a stud goalie like Luongo. But I agree that Olli is much more likely to return. Tough situation.

When Jokinen doesn't get at least 1 point, the panthers are 0-21. He is irreplaceable and if there is one player we cannot afford to lose, it's Olli.

Ignoring completely the ramifications any trade will have with Luongo (who I'd say is 60/40 out the door anyway), I'd hope it would take a lot more than Martin Havlat and a low 1st round pick to get Olli.

You guys are insane -- Havlat is a 24 years old and had a PPG average the last NHL season (68 pts in 68 games -- 31 goals) -- and he was only 22 years old at the time. Olli's value is greatly diminished by his impending UFA status. He's a rental for any interested team -- why would the Senators trade a young star like Havlat for a guy who will bolt in the offseason?

I love Olli as much as the next guy -- but his contract demands are pretty ridiculous. Mark Gandler is his agent, and for those that don't know he is the hockey's' version of Scott Boras/Drew Rosenhaus. It puts the Panthers in a tough spot -- they know they really need to re-sign Jokinen, but can't afford to overpay like Gandler and co. expect them to under the salary cap. Gandler rejected a 4 year, $16 million dollar deal and said "they aren't even in the same neighborhood as us" after -- so you can imagine what type of money he's asking for (probably $5-6 mil per year). Pavol Demitra, Ziggy Palffy, Alexei Kovalev, among others signed for around 4.5 million per last year. Hell, Peter Forsberg signed for 5.25 per.....is Jokinen really worth what he's asking for?

Under these circumstances, if the Senators came calling and offered Havlat and a 1st for Jokinen I would take it and run away laughing -- that being said, that article was written by Garrioch and has almost no merit. If I were a betting man, I'd guess the Senators would package Vermette and Volchenkov for Olli -- and even that might be stretching it....not a very intriguing package for your leading scorer & team captain, but the it's the reality of our situation with Jokinen -- deal him for two good young players or lose him for nothing?

I hope he wakes up and realizes he's asking for too much $ -- but it's not likely with Gandler brainwashing him.

AGon,

Havlat's a point-per game player, but he's never healthy. His career high for games played came as a rookie, and every year it's gone down, he's never played a full season in his NHL career. Add to that that he's recovering from pretty serious shoulder surgery and you see my reluctance.

No, I hear that completely -- but like I said, Jokinen is a UFA after this year and that diminishes his value. If we had the chance to acquire a young superstar like Martin Havlat for him -- we'd have to jump on it, injury concerns or not. He's right there with guys like Marian Gaborik, Ales Hemsky, Alex Frolov, Henrik Zetterberg, etc. as the 2nd tier of young stars in the game. Not quite at an Ovechkin or Kovalchuk's level, but pretty damn close. When healthy, Havlat is a gamebreaker offensively, everything this team has lacked this year and then some -- Jokinen is a more complete player, better leader, but Havlat is younger and has a much higher ceiling.

Plenty of young guys have injury problems....hell, just look at our own club. Horton, Olesz, Weiss, Mezei....I wouldn't deal any of those guys because of their injury history. It's concerning, but their upside is just too great to deal away. Havlat is the same way IMO.