NASCAR and rain

>:(

Every NASCAR event so far this year has either involved rain or been delayed by rain. In Daytona, there was rain in the forecast and it was a very overcast and unusual night in Daytona. The Daytona 500 was on the verge of being postponed a few times due to rain and fog.

I attended the week 2 race in Fontana, and yes, even in southern California, it was drizzling and very overcast. The day after the Auto Club 500 at the California Speedway, a big storm rolled in. After not having rain almost all winter (our rainy season) here in southern California, we got our biggest and only storm of the year on race weekend.

Week 3 was an off week. The Busch series raced at the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez road course in Mexico City. Overcast at times here but the sun chose to shine in a week in which NASCAR's premiere series, the Nextel Cup series was off. The Craftsman truck series was also off.

Week 4 in Las Vegas was the only race weekend so far that went off without a hitch. Every practice was held for every series. Greg Biffle won the Bud pole award in qualifying. Todd Bodine, Jeff Burton and Jimmie Johnson all celebrated wins. Must've been Lady Luck that kept the sun shining.

Last Sunday there was a three hour rain delay at the Atlanta Motor Speedway. After a three hour rain delay (most of which I spent moping around, knowing after being a race fan for ten years that this race probably wasn't going to be held), the race was called on a count of what else? Rain!

And here we are in week 6 at the Bristol Motor Speedway, my personal favorite track. Busch series practice and NEXTEL Cup qualifying were both rained out today, Friday. The forecast for Bristol, Tennesee is calling for rain during tomorrow's Busch series race, the Sharpie Mini 300 and during Sunday's 500 mile Nextel Cup race, the Food City 500.

This brings me to the question I've been pondering six weeks straight.

WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?

Is mother nature not a race fan? Does she just hate rednecks? Have we pissed off the NASCAR gods (including Dale Senior) somehow? Or is it just bad luck that has brought me to my limits of frustration for six weeks running?

Discuss.

You know what's funny? The NASCAR rainout last week got better ratings than the Lakers-Cavs game.

Rain delay coverage gets better ratings than an actual sporting event, even if it is a regular season NBA game. Fantastic.

haha I was going to post that, but didn't feel like arguing with the Nascar haters. Sadly enough for whatever reason the rain delays are fun to watch for me. Fox and NBC both do a good job to make them entertaining.

Anyways ya it's been a strange year so far weather wise. It happens. Nothing can really do about it. They are actually calling for rain/snow today. Figures.

I was on Ebay yesterday and came real close to buying tickets to Sunday's race, but decided not to because of the weather and I have a paper due Monday. I really want to go to Bristol. That would be an intense place to see a race in person.

And on side note...Jimmie Johnson is the devil. The guy is on fire right now even without his crew chief

You know what's funny? The NASCAR rainout last week got better ratings than the Lakers-Cavs game.

Rain delay coverage gets better ratings than an actual sporting event, even if it is a regular season NBA game. Fantastic.

I was on Ebay yesterday and came real close to buying tickets to Sunday's race, but decided not to because of the weather and I have a paper due Monday. I really want to go to Bristol. That would be an intense place to see a race in person.

And on side note...Jimmie Johnson is the devil. The guy is on fire right now even without his crew chief

Bristol is definitely one of the most exciting tracks to me, not the high speeds, but I love short tracks and there is a ton of side by side racing which is what makes this sport great.

I

^ lol

you guys mentioned that fox and nbc do a great job on rain delay which is true and something like what they do should be picked up by fsn instead of watching summer sanders sports list i would rather watch either A. another game or B. a previous marlins game

Just for a bit of an update to prove this point even further:

Today in the Busch series race, there was an hour and a half snow delay (yes, snow at the racetrack) and, after not snowing for an hour and a half, they go back to the green flag and on the first green flag lap, there are snow flurries. The flurries stopped after two more laps.

It was as if mother nature was saying, "Nah, just kidding!"

Why don't they race in the rain?

Um, they're driving over 100 miles an hour. Regular folks can't drive on the freeway doing 65 in the rain. How are they supposed to do 125 on up in corners?

You should see it here in California. They can't drive on the freeway period in the rain. There are sig alerts everywhere when it storms. Trucks jacknife. It's really quite pathetic.

I can't wait to get back to Florida.

Um, they're driving over 100 miles an hour. Regular folks can't drive on the freeway doing 65 in the rain. How are they supposed to do 125 on up in corners?

Formula One races are never delayed because of weather and always go regardless of the conditions, they'll put on their intermediate's or full wet weather tires and be good to go. There is nothing more exciting in motorsports than seeing an F1 driver overtake someone doing 185mph through Eau Rouge or 130R in the rain.

Formula One races are never delayed because of weather and always go regardless of the conditions, they'll put on their intermediate's or full wet weather tires and be good to go. There is nothing more exciting in motorsports than seeing an F1 driver overtake someone doing 185mph through Eau Rouge or 130R in the rain.

Fine, since this is the answer you were looking for:

These aren't forumula one racecars.

They're a little heavier and can't take turns as well. Plus slow rain races make for boring races. That's the answer. They can't go fast in the rain.

haha I knew that was coming...

A few years back when they used to hold exhibition races after the season was over in Japan at a road track they tried busting out rain tires and I think 80% of the cars went off the track. Was fun to watch though. I think they still have them available for Watkins Glen and Sears Point. It's just not safe for them to be running in the rain with the types of tires and the weight of their cars they have to run.

Best thing is that Robby Gordon is running well again. With some better luck he is top 10 points.

A top 15 finish this year in the points would be amazing. He can do it also if the luck can start to turn around, been really strong so far.

He would've won at Atlanta if it hadn't been for a blown tire. He had the fastest car on the track for 50 laps or so. The pit road speeding penalty he got when he came in to change it didn't help his cause, either.

Sterling did finish well. 17th isn't bad. He still needs to qualify on speed at Martinsville or he may not make the field.

Nah he's 35 in points which means he's a lock for the race. Some good drivers on the edge though...Michael Waltrip, Bobby Labonte Jeremy Mayfield 32-34 in points.

Sterling did finish well. 17th isn't bad. He still needs to qualify on speed at Martinsville or he may not make the field.

Nah he's 35 in points which means he's a lock for the race. Some good drivers on the edge though...Michael Waltrip, Bobby Labonte Jeremy Mayfield 32-34 in points.

But he is 36th in owners points.

Not sure how the 10 is higher in owners points but he is.

oops somehow didn't know it was by owner points...ya I don't get how Riggs is in and he even missed the Daytona 500 didn't he

oops somehow didn't know it was by owner points...ya I don't get how Riggs is in and he even missed the Daytona 500 didn't he

Yes. He didn't qualify on time and wasn't in the top two of go or go home cars in the deuls. I'm not sure how he's higher in owner points than Sterling or Labonte.

Ah here it is

Owners are rewarded in the points race in much the same fashion but, unlike drivers, they earn points for merely attempting to make a race. If an owner shows up with a pair of drivers, and one fails to qualify, the owner still receives points for the non-qualifying effort. The fastest non-qualifier on race day earns 31 points for his owner, three down from the 43rd-place points. The scale continues downward from there for all non-qualifiers, with the lowest possible point(s) awarded being one.

http://www.nascar.com/2004/news/headlines/...stem/index.html

So basically Riggs' owner earned 31 points for attempting to qualify because he was the first car out at Daytona. So even though Sterling is 1 ahead of Riggs in the cup standings, Riggs is ahead by 30 in the owner standings.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.