Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ligtenberg,Harris Released

Featured Replies

If an outfielder is acquired, a catcher has as much if not more chance of being sent down than an outfielder

 

This assumes we carry 3 catchers...

Barring a move, we will. There's only 13 batters still in the major league camp from what I've discovered

Sad to see Lenny go he'll catch on elsewhere though.

 

the reports say it's unlikely he catches on anywhere...for Opening Day at least.

Ligtenberg pitched pretty well in the spring, I thought he'd make the team...

 

I'd rather have Wellemeyer in there as opposed to a third veteran type...at least Welly has a shot at fulfilling potential. IMO he and Herges are about interchangeable, so I'm not too miffed at his release. I'm sure he'll catch on somewhere in any case.

The final move is a bit tricky, and it doesn't totally reflect the club's intentions. Left-hander Scott Olsen was optioned to Triple-A Albuquerque. However, his Minor League stint will be a brief one, because manager Joe Girardi announced Olsen will be the Marlins' fifth starter.

 

Due to two early off-days, the Marlins are going with a four-man rotation until April 15, when they take on the Nationals in Miami. Olsen will throw a simulated game for Albuquerque on April 5, and he will start for the Isotopes on April 10 at Omaha.

 

The plan for now is to bring Olsen back to the Marlins shortly after the April 10 outing to get him ready for April 1

 

 

A little more detail from mlb.com

Not a big fan of Mitre getting the spot over Olsen, knowing he'll be brought back up on the 15th eases my mind a little.

 

It's interesting to see people say Kerry Ligtenberg hasn't been good for years and it's good he's gone, yet Wellemyer had an ERA over 6 last year and and 8.25 ERA this spring. I still don't get that trade, and Ligtenberg had only one bad outing this spring. I really would've liked to have seen him stay.

 

Sad to see Lenny go, and I thought I remember him mentioning retirement if he didn't stick last year. Hopefully, he'll catch on as a minor league coach or consultant here.

Not a big fan of Mitre getting the spot over Olsen, knowing he'll be brought back up on the 15th eases my mind a little.

 

It's interesting to see people say Kerry Ligtenberg hasn't been good for years and it's good he's gone, yet Wellemyer had an ERA over 6 last year and and 8.25 ERA this spring. I still don't get that trade, and Ligtenberg had only one bad outing this spring. I really would've liked to have seen him stay.

 

Sad to see Lenny go, and I thought I remember him mentioning retirement if he didn't stick last year. Hopefully, he'll catch on as a minor league coach or consultant here.

 

Welly simply has more of a chance to be something for the club in the future. He has unrealized talent and good stuff. Lightenberg had no chance to be with us once we are truly competing for the playoffs.

Not a big fan of Mitre getting the spot over Olsen, knowing he'll be brought back up on the 15th eases my mind a little.

 

It's interesting to see people say Kerry Ligtenberg hasn't been good for years and it's good he's gone, yet Wellemyer had an ERA over 6 last year and and 8.25 ERA this spring. I still don't get that trade, and Ligtenberg had only one bad outing this spring. I really would've liked to have seen him stay.

 

Sad to see Lenny go, and I thought I remember him mentioning retirement if he didn't stick last year. Hopefully, he'll catch on as a minor league coach or consultant here.

 

Welly simply has more of a chance to be something for the club in the future. He has unrealized talent and good stuff. Lightenberg had no chance to be with us once we are truly competing for the playoffs.

I understand that reasoning, but it's not like we're short on pitchers. What does Wellemeyer add but another arm that's only as good as the hundred other arms we've got? At least Ligtenberg was a vet, and could maybe help these young relievers out, since he's been in just about every bullpen situation before.

Guys, read up, Olsen's the fifth starter. Because we have off days we don't need a fifth starter until April 15th, when Olsen will be called up. That makes sense.

Not a big fan of Mitre getting the spot over Olsen, knowing he'll be brought back up on the 15th eases my mind a little.

 

It's interesting to see people say Kerry Ligtenberg hasn't been good for years and it's good he's gone, yet Wellemyer had an ERA over 6 last year and and 8.25 ERA this spring. I still don't get that trade, and Ligtenberg had only one bad outing this spring. I really would've liked to have seen him stay.

 

Sad to see Lenny go, and I thought I remember him mentioning retirement if he didn't stick last year. Hopefully, he'll catch on as a minor league coach or consultant here.

 

Welly simply has more of a chance to be something for the club in the future. He has unrealized talent and good stuff. Lightenberg had no chance to be with us once we are truly competing for the playoffs.

I understand that reasoning, but it's not like we're short on pitchers. What does Wellemeyer add but another arm that's only as good as the hundred other arms we've got? At least Ligtenberg was a vet, and could maybe help these young relievers out, since he's been in just about every bullpen situation before.

Herges and Borowski should fill that role fine, assuming that's even something that really happens between players and not coaches...

Not a big fan of Mitre getting the spot over Olsen, knowing he'll be brought back up on the 15th eases my mind a little.

 

It's interesting to see people say Kerry Ligtenberg hasn't been good for years and it's good he's gone, yet Wellemyer had an ERA over 6 last year and and 8.25 ERA this spring. I still don't get that trade, and Ligtenberg had only one bad outing this spring. I really would've liked to have seen him stay.

 

Sad to see Lenny go, and I thought I remember him mentioning retirement if he didn't stick last year. Hopefully, he'll catch on as a minor league coach or consultant here.

 

Welly simply has more of a chance to be something for the club in the future. He has unrealized talent and good stuff. Lightenberg had no chance to be with us once we are truly competing for the playoffs.

I understand that reasoning, but it's not like we're short on pitchers. What does Wellemeyer add but another arm that's only as good as the hundred other arms we've got? At least Ligtenberg was a vet, and could maybe help these young relievers out, since he's been in just about every bullpen situation before.

Lightenberg only helps the team out this year. If Kranny can turn this guys career around Wellemeyer has the potential to help this team for a few years to come. He pitched decently in the Minors. Obviously he has to the stuff. Maybe he can turn it around. A risk that was worth taking. He flops oh well, but the reward would be a solid set up man for a few years. There's only so much 'veteran leadership' someone can bring and we already have Herges and Borowski both of whom are vets and can do the same thing.

 

I still can't believe Messenger is going to make the team though

What's the harm in Mess making the team? He won't pitch in situations that're that important and could be the one sent down once Olsen returns.

What's the harm in Mess making the team? He won't pitch in situations that're that important and could be the one sent down once Olsen returns.

 

I see no harm with Messenger as the long reliever/mop up guy, if that's the way Girardi wants to go, though I'd rather see Bump in that role with Messenger working as a setup guy in AAA.

 

Sending Olsen down until a fifth starter is necessary makes perfect sense, as this way he can get some innings in and be put on a rotation schedule that coincides with when the Fish finally need a 5th starter. Smart move.

 

Hopefully one of the catchers is sent down if another OF or middle infielder is acquired. There's not much of a reason to carry 3 catchers so long as Willy is going to continue catching a few days a week.

I'd agree, but Bump apparently needs to build up to 100%...better for him to do that in AAA than against major leaguers. Plus, this situation is only valid until April 15th.

WTF Scott to AAA. I just told my mom that Scott is going to be in the rotation. :plain

 

 

Edit: Atleast he is coming back soon.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.