Ligtenberg,Harris Released

gomarlins9703

3/29/06 INF Lenny Harris and RHP Kerry Ligtenberg asked for their release; Reassigned INF Mike Kinkade and OF Mike Cepicky to Minor League camp; Optioned LHP Scott Olsen to Triple-A Albuquerque.

I don't get it. Why not keep Lenny and Ligtenberg around? The only reason i can think is that there is not enough space on the 40-man. And WTF with Olsen to AAA and Mitre being our #2 starter????

I am STUNNED about Olsen--and completely caught off guard by Harris--and slightly disturbed about Lightenberg.

I never would have thought that Ricky Nolasco and Carlos Martinez would have made the roster over Olsen.

It's obvious now that Johnson will fill that 5th spot, and they want Olsen to continue starting on a consistent basis.

:)

Sorry, I have a hard time getting worked up about 2 guys who had zero chance of being here when we're contending. I love Lenny Harris, but considering how much our bench is probably going to play this year, I think we needed someone more versatile. I don't care about Ligtenberg at all, he hasn't done anything in years.

As for Olsen, he didn't win the job. It is what it is. Go to Albuquerque and earn your way back.

People should really read what was posted.

"Lenny Harris and RHP Kerry Ligtenberg ASKED for their release". I doesn't say it was granted or that some accomodation won't be made. I suspect in Ligtenberg's case the Marlins have minimal interest in keeping him, in Harris' case I think a decision may not have ben made on whether he ultimately returns or not.

Today was just a contract date on which players in their position had to make their wishes known.

As for Olsen, I'm surprised like the rest of you, but the guys closest to the situation made what they think is the right decision and I'm cool with that.

(edit) It may that Olsen is going to be brought in later in the season to be the first of several fresh arms when needed as some of the kids tire in July or August.

Guest Guest

Olsen takes Mitre's spot by June most likely, no need to get so worked up really. Prob just going to make sure he gets enough playing time to see that his elbow problems really are behind him.

"Lenny Harris and RHP Kerry Ligtenberg ASKED for their release".

The way I read it that Ligtenberg,Harris,Cepicky, and Kinkade were all informed they will not be added to the 25 man and Harris and Lightenberg asked to be released, while Cepicky and Kinkade accepted their minor league assignment.

"Lenny Harris and RHP Kerry Ligtenberg ASKED for their release".

The way I read it that Ligtenberg,Harris,Cepicky, and Kinkade were all informed they will not be added to the 25 man and Harris and Lightenberg asked to be released, while Cepicky and Kinkade accepted their minor league assignment.

It's hard to tell. You didn't link the source or say where it came from (although it looks like Rotoworld.com) so deciphering the writer's shorthand is open to interpretation. (not a shot at you Gomarlins)

Lefty, the other day it was some miscommunication regarding Martinez' status, I think it's best to just wait and see.

In the case of Harris and Ligtenberg, both had to affirmatively ask for their release today under the terms of their contracts or allow themselves to go assigned to the minor league franchise.

Another thought is that Olsen just goes to AAA until a 5th starter is needed.

I'm somewhat surprised that Lightenberg and Lenny asked for their release (which likely indicats they weren't going to make the team), but I'm not disappointed at all. Might as well see what the kids can do this year.

Agree with the last 2 posts. Don't worry about Olsen though guys, he'll get his starts in this season and I'm certain they plan on being extra cautious with his IP this year (with everyone but Willis/Vargas probably) due to his elbow flare up that caused his early shut-down last season...I think Spike alluded to this in another thread.

Agree with the last 2 posts. Don't worry about Olsen though guys, he'll get his starts in this season and I'm certain they plan on being extra cautious with his IP this year (with everyone but Willis/Vargas probably) due to his elbow flare up that caused his early shut-down last season...I think Spike alluded to this in another thread.

not really worried about it, just a tad surprised at it, but thats ok, he will definitely be up with the big club at some point this year and I expect at a minimum 10-15 starts.

Source everyone has been looking for

JUPITER, Fla. ? (AP) ? Lenny Harris, the career leader in pinch hits, was released from the Florida Marlins on Wednesday after being told he would not make the team.

Reliever Kerry Ligtenberg also was released. The Marlins also reassigned outfielder Matt Cepicky and infielder Mike Kinkade to Triple-A Albuquerque and optioned left-hander Scott Olsen to Albuquerque.

Olsen will begin the season in the minors because of early-season offdays but is scheduled to join the rotation and make his season debut April 15.

Olsen had been battling with right-hander Josh Johnson for the fifth starting spot. Johnson has made the team in the bullpen.

Harris, 41, has 212 career pinch hits, 62 more than second-place Manny Mota. He set franchise records last year with 19 pinch hits and 13 pinch-hit RBIs.

Last year, Harris batted .314 with one homer and 13 RBIs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.