Lee, Brewers improve to 5-0

>:(

From Brewers.com:

Lee delivers walk-off single

Brewers improve to 5-0 for first time since 1987

MILWAUKEE -- Brett Favre says that everyone should just leave him alone and focus on baseball.

That's just fine with the Brewers.

While Favre continued on Saturday to wrestle with his decision to play or hang up his spikes, the Brewers kept right on winning. Carlos Lee delivered a ninth-inning single that sent the undefeated Brewers home with a 5-4 win over the Arizona Diamondbacks in front of 29,226 at Miller Park.

"We've never played as well as we're playing right now, since I've been here," said manager Ned Yost, who is in his fourth year at the helm. "We're playing the game so mistake-free."

It was the same old story on Saturday: Good pitching, especially in relief, nearly perfect defense and just enough timely hits to improve to 5-0 for the first time in 19 years.

The Brewers have come from behind for all of their wins. They trailed 3-0 after 2 1/2 innings on Saturday before Lee sparked the comeback with an RBI double in the bottom of the third.

"It's funny how we fall behind every single game but we're able to chip away every inning," said Lee, who has reached base in 13 of his 21 plate appearances this season and is the only Brewer with a hit in each of the first five games. "We're doing everything it takes to win. We're playing the whole game really good right now."

Lee then went out on a limb.

"We're not going to win them all," he said. "But if we keep playing like this, we're going to help ourselves win a lot of ballgames."

Knotted at 4-4 after pinch-hitter Gabe Gross delivered a two-run single in the sixth inning, shortstop J.J. Hardy sparked the winning rally with a one-out double in the ninth. D-Backs pitcher -- and former Brewer -- Luis Vizcaino intentionally walked Geoff Jenkins to get to Lee, who lined a 1-2 fastball up the middle to win it.

Brewers starter Doug Davis surrendered four runs on four walks and five hits in five innings and took his second consecutive no-decision. Dan Kolb (1-0) pitched a scoreless ninth for the win and his former setup man, Vizcaino (0-1), suffered the loss.

Arizona took the lead in the first inning, when Damion Easley poked a bases-loaded two-out single just inside the first-base line that plated two runs. Luis Gonzalez hit his second home run in as many days with one out in the third, and Conor Jackson hit an RBI single in the fifth after Davis walked the first two batters he faced.

Jackson's hit made it 4-2, but the Brewers continued chipping away. Prince Fielder hit a solo home run in the fourth -- one of his career-high three hits in the game. Since starting the year 0-for-9 with seven strikeouts in his first two games, Fielder is 5-for-9 in his last three.

"Everybody knows he's going to hit," Lee said. "He's seeing the ball better. He laid off some pitches today, and that's what it's going to take."

Fielder struggled badly in his first two games, but on the same day Yost insisted that the team is committed to Fielder through good and bad, Fielder delivered a game-winning single against the Pirates on Wednesday.

"That helped a lot because it relaxed me," Fielder said of his talk with Yost. "He just let me know I don't have to worry about anything but playing hard. He's going to put me out there, and that's all you can ask for from a manager. That shows he believes in me."

After Davis exited, relievers Rick Helling, Jorge De La Rosa and Kolb combined to hold the Diamondbacks scoreless on two hits over the final four innings. Kolb pitched a 1-2-3 ninth.

"Helling, De La Rosa and Kolby all did their part," Yost said. "They came in and held the score down and allowed the offense to battle back to win the game."

Diamondbacks starter Brandon Webb worked six innings, allowing four runs, three of them earned, on nine hits. He was in line for the win until Gross, batting with runners at second and third and one out in the sixth, lined a game-tying single to center field.

"You can't waste many of those opportunities," said Gross, who homered in his first Brewers at-bat on Tuesday. "[Webb] has got a great sinker. ... I was fortunate to get one of those sinkers up just a little bit and hit it to center field. I don't think it was that bad a pitch."

The Brewers are off to the second-best start in club history, matching the 1978 club that started 5-0 and finished with 93 wins in the American League East. The best start came in 1987, when the Brewers went 13-0 and equaled the Major League record for consecutive wins to start a season set by the 1982 Atlanta Braves.

The walk-up attendance for both Friday and Saturday exceeded 7,000, the team said.

"I think rather than just a hot streak, this is the team we are," Hardy said. "It's only five games and it's early, but I feel like our team is better this year than it was last year. We just have to keep it going."

Guest Juanky

Yeah, a lot of people have been predicting this since the second half of last season. It's good to see the team continue to click though, they're oozing talent all around.

Very impressive start.. we'll see what happens as the season goes on.. this is why they are predicted towards the top of the Cards division.. Cards are weaker, Cubs and Astros are about even, and the Brewers are a team on the rise.. it's not all that surprising.. call me though if they are in 1st come August then I'll be even more impressed even if I'm not surprised..

Guest Fritz

I wouldnt be suprised if they added a big pitcher and another big bat at the deadline, espicially if they are still near or at the top of the NL Central. Weaver and Huff maybe?

Weaver...No. He just signed a pretty big contract with the Dodgers this past offseason. Huff, I just don't see that happening because they have plenty of talent at 1B, 3B, and LF.

the brewers have a decent team..but they aren't good enough to get by the cubs/cardinals.

the cubs are an average team on the down that can stay healthy and the cards are getting old and i heard proof that Pujols is really thirty which if true means that the ENTIRE team is on the downturn Rolen was injured last year, Edmonds is mid 30's Carpenter and Isringhausen are the only guys who can pitch i am seriously high on the Brew Crew this year they are a young team on the UP who will win 90-93 this year

Guest Juanky

the cubs are an average team on the down that can stay healthy and the cards are getting old and i heard proof that Pujols is really thirty

Even if it's true, why would it matter? He's still the best player in baseball whatever age he is.

I wouldnt be suprised if they added a big pitcher and another big bat at the deadline, espicially if they are still near or at the top of the NL Central. Weaver and Huff maybe?

Weaver...No. He just signed a pretty big contract with the Dodgers this past offseason. Huff, I just don't see that happening because they have plenty of talent at 1B, 3B, and LF.

Weaver signed with the Angels.

If by big contract you mean 1 year deal, then you are right.

And, Huff's bat @ 3B or Koskie's bat @ 3B...dang thats a head scratcher.(well, actually...I use sarcasm there, but if Huff can play like he did before last season, then ya I'd take Huff over Koskie).