Notes: Hermida targets Monday return

Fish4Life

CHICAGO -- At the earliest, it looks like Jeremy Hermida could be back in the lineup by Monday when the Marlins face the Phillies at Dolphin Stadium.

Still recovering from a right hip flexor strain, Hermida is eligible to come off the disabled list Friday, when the Marlins take on the Rockies at home.

Manager Joe Girardi said Wednesday that it is highly doubtful the rookie right fielder will be in the lineup for the weekend series with Colorado.

"I don't think you'll see him in one of our games this weekend," Girardi said.

Placed on the disabled list April 17, retroactive to April 12, Hermida has been with the club going through a variety of drills. He has tested the hip flexor running, but he isn't yet 100 percent.

"We'll wait and see," Hermida said. "It's been an up-and-down process. It's good one day and sore the next."

Girardi hasn't ruled out Hermida taking part in a rehab assignment this weekend.

"I know it's not as quickly as he would like," Girardi said. "I noticed the other day he was a little miserable that it didn't respond the way he would have liked."

Before cleared, the Marlins want to make sure Hermida is pain-free running.

"We have to know pretty much he can run 100 percent, or pretty close to it," Girardi said. "That he's free of pain. You don't want him to tear it. A strain is one thing, but a tear is a long time. Then you've got a lot of complications, scar tissue, and it can become a re-occurring problem. We expect him to run the bases and do some things."

Cant wait for his bat to be back in the lineup! :thumbup

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.