Derek Jeter voted most overrated in baseball

Accord

In a Sports Illustrated poll in which they asked 500 major league players to vote for who they think is the most overrated, not surprisingly Jeter was voted the #1 most overrated player in baseball followed by Carlos Beltran in second and A-Rod in 3rd.

Why not Prior, Wood, Damon or Beltran?

Wait...one more (don't kill me) Paul LoDuca.

All five of those are more overrated than Jeter.

And how the f*** is A-Rod overrated? Can you be overrated when you're the best hitter in the American League and a damn good fielder to boot?

I'd say his defense is overrated, but he's a great hitter (Actually has more hits at this point of his career than Rose did).

I'd say Kerry Wood is the most overrated. The guy is a k artist, but he gives up too many hits and walks when healthy. Which is never.

I'd also say Damon, Lo Duca, Pierre (sorry, guys), and since that idiot from Baseball Tonight picked him as his number one pick in all of baseball, I'll say Jon Papelbon.

Guest ShaqandWade323

Bill Simmons wrote an interesting article about this, not about him being overrated in playing during the regular but about his overrated "clutchness", I def. agreed with some points.

Bill Simmons wrote an interesting article about this, not about him being overrated in playing during the regular but about his overrated "clutchness", I def. agreed with some points.

yeah his clutchness is definitely overrated

there is no way his play is overrated though.

id take Carlos Beltran as most overrated

I always used to think he was overrated, until I saw him play in the playoffs a few years back (before the marlins series). He was CLUTCH in every at bat. If he wasn't getting a hit that started a rally, he was getting a key RBI, or moving a runner over.

I don't know about his defense, but his performance during some of the yankee playoff runs made me a believer.

I think Beltran is the worst of the players mentioned, but I don't think he's that overrated anymore. Surely, he was when Peter Gammons was saying he was the best player in the game and the Mets signed him for 100 million. But since, for the most part, commentators, players, coaches, and management all recognize that he is not an elite player. You don't hear people going on and on about him.

Derek Jeter, on the other hand, is by far the most overrated. Many people think he is one of the best players in baseball. Not only he is not one of the better players, he's not one of the top two or three shortstops. Last year he was 47th in OPS, and he didn't have an unusual year last year. If f he had hit is career OPS, he would have been 46th in OPS. Couple that with his poor defensive skills and that everyone who either lives in Northeast (except boston) or is a baseball commentator thinks he is a first ballot hall of famer and one of the best players in the game, and you have the most overrated player in possibly all of sports (maybe second to David Beckham). Now he will be a first ballot hall of famer, but he has not right to be with his pedestrian numbers.

Guest Fritz

Ichiro

No way. Dude's got a career .332 batting average.

But all he does is hit singles and he's been on what, one playoff team? The guy's overrated.

Derek Jeter, on the other hand, is by far the most overrated. Many people think he is one of the best players in baseball. Not only he is not one of the better players, he's not one of the top two or three shortstops. Last year he was 47th in OPS, and he didn't have an unusual year last year. If f he had hit is career OPS, he would have been 46th in OPS. Couple that with his poor defensive skills and that everyone who either lives in Northeast (except boston) or is a baseball commentator thinks he is a first ballot hall of famer and one of the best players in the game, and you have the most overrated player in possibly all of sports (maybe second to David Beckham). Now he will be a first ballot hall of famer, but he has not right to be with his pedestrian numbers.

Why would you use OPS to evaluate a short-stop who hits at the top of the lineup, and spent most of last year in the leadoff spot?

He's only overrated if you think he's a power hitter. His career batting average is .314, he averages 206 hits per season and according to baseball-reference.com's similar batter feature he compares favorably both as a batter and through age 31 to twelve hall of famers out of twenty batters. What more do you want him to do, because he's not going to hit 30 homeruns, he doesn't need to...

He gets on Base, he's a leader, and the dude will leave everything on the field for a W. I don't know what else can be expected of him. Statheads can bitch all they want, but the dude show's up and plays his ass off day in and day out, and is willing to put up with the obsene pressure put on him.

Just to compare with another player on the same team, I'd take Jeter over Damon as a baseball player, and then when you factor in it's Jeter who is the face of that team, and carries the most pressure. How in the world, could you possibly say Jeter is the most overrated?

As much as it pains me to say it, he's an unbelievable player.

He's almost a lock for 300 homers, 300 steals (outside shot at 400), and another 5 years at his current pace and he's at 3,000. He's a no doubt HoFer if he keeps it up.

Lance Berkman.

Eric Chavez.

Mike Sweeney.

All way more overrated then Jeter.

Why Chavez?

I can't see how Mike Sweeney is overrated since no one really overrates him (or cares much). Chavez may be a bit overrated. Not Berkman. I agree with those that wrote Carlos Beltran is the most overrated player in MLB.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.