Herald Stadium Update

Guest Festa

Guest Festa

MARLINS NOTEBOOK

Hialeah mayor upbeat

BY BARRY JACKSON AND CLARK SPENCER

[email protected]

As the Marlins prepare to decline San Antonio's stadium offer by Monday's deadline, Hialeah Mayor Julio Robaina said Thursday he expects a ballpark deal to get done locally.

''My sense is it will get done,'' Robaina said, adding that his faith was not based on blind optimism but on progress in negotiations. ``I feel confident because of what I'm hearing from the team and county. I'm hoping we can get it done by the end of the month.''

Robaina said a $60 million state sales tax rebate -- which the Marlins again failed to secure in the recently completed legislative session -- is ''not needed'' to cover a construction funding gap of at least $100 million but would be needed eventually for ``upkeep of the stadium over 30 years.''

Robaina said he was not sure when the Miami-Dade County commission would vote on the possibility of using property tax money from a yet-to-be-developed industrial park area in Hialeah. Robaina, the Marlins and Miami-Dade County manager George Burgess continue to discuss that and other ideas that Robaina declined to disclose.

Also, Robaina said he is ''very certain'' that developer Armando Codina will donate land for the stadium to the county, which would give it to the Marlins. The site is near the Turnpike and 170th St. Codina has not said publicly whether he will donate the land.

Meanwhile, Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff said the Marlins have not yet responded to Monday's deadline, but that it's ''highly unlikely'' the team, by that point, will accept San Antonio's offer to ask voters to extend a hotel and car rental tax to help pay for a stadium. An official close to the situation confirmed the Marlins will not accept the offer by Monday.

Major League Baseball has not said whether it believes San Antonio is viable for a team.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...ll/14560319.htm

So has Jackson been listening to Descarga Deportiva or what? :mischief

WE ARE GETTING CLOSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This SA article also seems to confirm what we are waiting to happen soon.

Baseball: Wolff expects Marlins to pass on county's offer

Web Posted: 05/12/2006 12:00 AM CDT

Tom Orsborn

Express-News Staff Writing

It's all over but the explaining.

So says County Judge Nelson Wolff, who indicated Thursday that the Florida Marlins have decided to stay in South Florida rather than pursue a stadium-financing offer in Bexar County.

Wolff had set a May15 deadline for the Marlins to accept the proposal, which stated the county could raise as much as $200million toward a $310million ballpark. But with four days to go, Wolff said it's all but certain the Marlins would forego the offer and try to build a ballpark in the Miami suburb of Hialeah.

"It's highly unlikely they will meet the deadline, but I don't know what they will say beyond that, if anything," Wolff said. "They could let Monday go by and say nothing."

Wolff said conversations this week with Marlins president David Samson suggest the team has decided to stay put and is trying to decide how to spin its San Antonio flirtation.

"I'm not sure how they are going to handle this," Wolff said. "Are they going to say, 'We are no longer interested in San Antonio,' or will they say, 'Our interest is ongoing, but we can't come to conclusions about the San Antonio market right now?' They could also say, 'Our analysis shows San Antonio is five years away (from being able to support two major-league franchises).' Or they could say, 'We'll be back if things don't work out in Florida.'

"There are a lot of different versions they can spin out. My guess is they are trying to coordinate it with Major League Baseball's thinking."

Said County Commissioner Lyle Larson: "I would expect a public comment (from the Marlins) in the next couple of days."

The Marlins declined comment Thursday.

In March, Wolff told the Marlins that money for a stadium could be raised if voters were to extend the rental car and hotel taxes paying for the AT&T Center.

The Marlins, however, seem intent on pursuing a stadium-financing plan proposed by officials in Hialeah and Miami-Dade County. The team is at least $100million short of the $420million it says is needed to build a stadium.

But the Hialeah proposal, which says stadium money could be raised through a property tax of businesses in a proposed industrial park, would require approval from the Hialeah City Council and the Miami-Dade Commission.

On Wednesday, Hialeah mayor Julio Robaina told the Palm Beach Post the deal also hinges on whether the state eventually provides the Marlins with a $60million subsidy.

The Marlins failed to get the subsidy last week when the 2006 Florida legislative session ended before the House could vote on the bill.

Still, Robaina predicted the Marlins eventually would leave Dolphins Stadium in Miami for a stadium in Hialeah.

"My sense is it will get done," he said.

Wolff and Larson suggested the Marlins could be making a mistake by spurning Bexar County's offer.

"I told David (Samson), 'I know you guys are having a hard time coming to a conclusion and that you have your own problems, but other forces might move in here before you do,'" Wolff said, referring to Mayor Phil Hardberger's quest to lure an NFL team.

Hardberger has made no secret of his desire to land the Saints should they falter in post-Katrina New Orleans.

"The door is definitely not closed on (the Marlins), but I don't know what our situation will be in the next couple of years," Larson said. "But for now, I guess we'll have to dry dock our pirate ship (that's been pursuing two coastal teams, the Saints and the Marlins) for awhile."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[email protected]

From the Palm Beach Article:

On Wednesday, Hialeah mayor Julio Robaina told the Palm Beach Post the deal also hinges on whether the state eventually provides the Marlins with a $60million subsidy.

Herald Article:

Robaina said a $60 million state sales tax rebate -- which the Marlins again failed to secure in the recently completed legislative session -- is ''not needed''to cover a construction funding gap of at least $100 million but would be needed eventually for ``upkeep of the stadium over 30 years.''

I tend to believe when there is a discrepancy Barry Jackass gets it wrong.

In reality they will the $60 million to cover the cost overruns becauase no way will that stadium cost only $430 million.

WE ARE GETTING CLOSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This SA article also seems to confirm what we are waiting to happen soon.

"I'm not sure how they are going to handle this," Wolff said. "Are they going to say, 'We are no longer interested in San Antonio,' or will they say, 'Our interest is ongoing, but we can't come to conclusions about the San Antonio market right now?' They could also say, 'Our analysis shows San Antonio is five years away (from being able to support two major-league franchises).' Or they could say, 'We'll be back if things don't work out in Florida.'

"There are a lot of different versions they can spin out. My guess is they are trying to coordinate it with Major League Baseball's thinking."

Said County Commissioner Lyle Larson: "I would expect a public comment (from the Marlins) in the next couple of days."

Wolff and Larson suggested the Marlins could be making a mistake by spurning Bexar County's offer.

"I told David (Samson), 'I know you guys are having a hard time coming to a conclusion and that you have your own problems, but other forces might move in here before you do,'" Wolff said, referring to Mayor Phil Hardberger's quest to lure an NFL team.

"The door is definitely not closed on (the Marlins), but I don't know what our situation will be in the next couple of years," Larson said. "But for now, I guess we'll have to dry dock our pirate ship (that's been pursuing two coastal teams, the Saints and the Marlins) for awhile."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[email protected]

From my view, these SA guys seems to be almost as obnoxious as Samsom, maybe more so. No one owes anyone anything here, nor is there a need to "spin" anything. Seems clear to me that from the beginning there were no guarantees, just SA putting their best foot forward (although $200 mill wasn't going to get it done anyway) and the Marlins having a real interest in what SA had to say. Get over it SA, you are acting like an unprofessional real estate salesperson, angry that the buyer decided not to purchase the property you were selling. Uhh, the pirate reference can be taken in other ways, other than pursuing coastal teams.

From my view, these SA guys seems to be almost as obnoxious as Samsom, maybe more so. No one owes anyone anything here, nor is there a need to "spin" anything. Seems clear to me that from the beginning there were no guarantees, just SA putting their best foot forward (although $200 mill wasn't going to get it done anyway) and the Marlins having a real interest in what SA had to say. Get over it SA, you are acting like an unprofessional real estate salesperson, angry that the buyer decided not to purchase the property you were selling. Uhh, the pirate reference can be taken in other ways, other than pursuing coastal teams.

Just be glad the marlins were dealing with the County and not the City. Wolff is much more professional and nice about these things than Hardberger is. A lot of the disappointment hitting the news is that, pathetically, the Marlins and Saints are the closest we've come to a new team even though we've been trying for 20 years. The Saints fiasco was a frustration on so many levels and basically turned into a pissing contest between Benson, Tagliabue, and Hardberger.

The $200 million wasn't putting our best foot forward. That is just showing a little toe. We easily could have found a way to pay out more and finance the entirety of the Marlins portion. The Marlins just decided they didn't need to pursue that with the stadium talks in Hialeah apparently going well.

Larsen probably meant the pirate reference as you are thinking. I get the feeling he's planning on running for County Judge against Wolff and is starting the party early. The last couple months he's been contradicting Wolff any chance he gets, trying to paint him as a liar, etc.

Just be glad the marlins were dealing with the County and not the City. Wolff is much more professional and nice about these things than Hardberger is. A lot of the disappointment hitting the news is that, pathetically, the Marlins and Saints are the closest we've come to a new team even though we've been trying for 20 years. The Saints fiasco was a frustration on so many levels and basically turned into a pissing contest between Benson, Tagliabue, and Hardberger.

The $200 million wasn't putting our best foot forward. That is just showing a little toe. We easily could have found a way to pay out more and finance the entirety of the Marlins portion. The Marlins just decided they didn't need to pursue that with the stadium talks in Hialeah apparently going well.

Larsen probably meant the pirate reference as you are thinking. I get the feeling he's planning on running for County Judge against Wolff and is starting the party early. The last couple months he's been contradicting Wolff any chance he gets, trying to paint him as a liar, etc.

Looks like sometime soon, SA will get another professional franchise-looks like some strong egos on the political scene, may all depend on who has the most powerful allies. Funny, no matter how different a community is, politics, it just stays the same. Thanks for an honest and intelligent response.

Something really good is going on b/c Hank is doing his best "Anti-Marlin Stadium" rant this morning. He's bringing up the old cost overruns argument up.

I can't stand this guy.

Yes, I heard him doing it the other day too. You're right, he's been on a roll. I know he's well connected but why is this man so popular? His manner is just so grating and abrasive!

I wonder where Longhorn Rules is now :lol

I'm right here. Just been lurking. It seems that I have offended some of the members of this board, and that was never my intention.

That being said, I did say before that the Marlins would not meet the deadline. But I also said that it didnt mean that this was over. I still hold to my position and these developments are not a surprise at all.

I am very careful when following this situation to look at the quotes of those involved and not what others necessarily think the quotes mean. I would not put much stock into what Larson has to say about this. He has his own agenda as does Robaina.

I feel that from what I have read, and to a certain extent have been told, that this story has many twists and turns yet to come. And in the words of Forrest Gump......"thats all I got to say about that."

By the way.....fyi.....115 days till the Longhorns begin their defense of their National Championship!

I'm right here. Just been lurking. It seems that I have offended some of the members of this board, and that was never my intention.

That being said, I did say before that the Marlins would not meet the deadline. But I also said that it didnt mean that this was over. I still hold to my position and these developments are not a surprise at all.

I am very careful when following this situation to look at the quotes of those involved and not what others necessarily think the quotes mean. I would not put much stock into what Larson has to say about this. He has his own agenda as does Robaina.

I feel that from what I have read, and to a certain extent have been told, that this story has many twists and turns yet to come. And in the words of Forrest Gump......"thats all I got to say about that."

By the way.....fyi.....115 days till the Longhorns begin their defense of their National Championship!

So...despite everything that has come out the last few days...San Antonio effectively dropping out of the race...you still think the Marlins will end up in San Antonio? This is why people think your a troll.

So...despite everything that has come out the last few days...San Antonio effectively dropping out of the race...you still think the Marlins will end up in San Antonio? This is why people think your a troll.

Okay......So my opinion makes me a troll? Sheeeesh.........thats ridiculous. Note to self.......dont drink the kool-aid......dont drink the kool-aid.

I will likely continue to hold my opinion until I see strong evidence......such as a direct quote from Loria or Samson announcing that they have a deal with Hialeah. So far I have seen nothing of the sort. Now, I am not saying that the possibility doesnt exist that they will get a deal with Hialeah. I just refuse to believe that they would actually make the mistake of moving there. Again.....my alleged trollish opinion. (note to self....dont drink the Kool-aid).

You talk about people having their own agendas... yet you seem to discount the fact that politicos in your own community have all but given up. They've said, "the Marlins say they will not meet the deadline and will instead continue to work on a local deal because they want to stay in So. Florida." How clearer can it get?

Everyone thought the Orange Bowl site was done deal. How's that been doing of late?

There has been enough disappointment over the years down here to know that when the first shovel hits the ground (instead of a pooper scooper for Samson), that's when we keep the team.

Everyone thought the Orange Bowl site was done deal. How's that been doing of late?

There has been enough disappointment over the years down here to know that when the first shovel hits the ground (instead of a pooper scooper for Samson), that's when we keep the team.

Your talking about something completely different. We are talking about Hialeah vs San Antonio, in which several outlets, including people in the know in San Antonio, have themselves said they are out of the running. Wether they were every seriously in position to get the team is debatable.

But, with all these facts, Longhorns_Rule continues to say that they are dumb for choosing Hialeah over San Antonio and that San Antonio will get the team. When it comes out that San Antonio officials have accepted defeat, and he still posts that stuff, yes...that makes him a troll.

It was a horrible choice for a location and got what it deserved.

NEXT!

NEXT!

hialeah's worse, imo.

Everyone thought the Orange Bowl site was done deal.

Care to show this information? Sounds like your opinion to me. Maybe you can show me some quotes from "everyone" that said the Orange Bowl site was a "done deal". I don't remember that being said by anyone related to that negotiation, ever. But since you boys from Texas seem to know a lot about the inner workings of South Florida negotiations maybe you can show me some of those quotes from "everyone".

NEXT!

hialeah's worse, imo.

For crying out loud people! Do you really care where the freakin' stadium is built as long as it's in South Florida? I don't care if they built the damn thing in the middle of Alligator Alley, I'd still go to games.

Everyone thought the Orange Bowl site was done deal.

Care to show this information? Sounds like your opinion to me. Maybe you can show me some quotes from "everyone" that said the Orange Bowl site was a "done deal". I don't remember that being said by anyone related to that negotiation, ever. But since you boys from Texas seem to know a lot about the inner workings of South Florida negotiations maybe you can show me some of those quotes from "everyone".

NEXT!

hialeah's worse, imo.

For crying out loud people! Do you really care where the freakin' stadium is built as long as it's in South Florida? I don't care if they built the damn thing in the middle of Alligator Alley, I'd still go to games.

Agreed, when we first went looking for a stadium i cared about location but now all I want is a stadium in South Florida.

Guest Festa

I've said it 100 times it seems like. This is the closest we have ever been to stadium. The OB deal still had a $60M gap, no land (and the acquisition of the OB land could have turned into a real mess), and still required city and county approval. The Hialeah deal isn't dependant on the $60M rebate from Tally, the gap is almost nonexistant, the land is going to be given by Codina and this is going to be a slam dunk with the Hialeah City Council and will be approved by the county.

...the land is going to be given by Codina

Now this is the big deal here. You seem pretty sure about this and I have no reason to doubt you yet. Now I'm 100% positive that there's no way that this guy would give away land for nothing, so there is something that the city or county, or the Marlins, is offering him in return for this. No business man is going to give away his assests for free. The question is what is this that they're offering him in return? I'd really really like to know, if you know what it is Festa.