CF Abercrombie and C Olivo

rferry

We lost tonight's game because the pitchers couldn't trust their catcher to catch anything. Butterfingers Olivo dropped perfect strikes and poorly framed some others, let breaking balls out of the zone roll to the back stop and just for good measure dropped a few relay throws to the plate.

We lost tonight's game because Abercrombie misread every ball that came his way. He was late reacting to any ball to either side of him. Started in when it was over his head. Started back when it was in front of him. Only by the grace of some diety did he reach and hang onto those "Web Gem" catches. It was like watching Preston Wilson out there. It was that bad.

We lost tonight's game because the team was taken out of it before they even had a chance. I was sitting 2 rows behind the dugout and saw the anguished faces of 25+ men tonight who wore expressions of disappointment, frustration and embarrassment throughout the night.

Hopefully the little bit of life they showed in the 9th will extend to tomorrow. While they didn't score a run, it ended on a somewhat optimistic note. We can't stop fighting. It's only July. Plenty of baseball left to play.

you're an idiot to blame abercrombie for tonights loss in any capacity.... so he seemed to misread some balls off the bat.... and... he caught every single one of them..... if i dont write anything else you will probably claim that it got in our pitchers heads... because that would be a dumb thing to say... and youre apparently pretty dumb..... im sure our pitchers were very worried to see the centerfielder running down and catching every ball he should have caught... im no abercrombie fan... but to blame him for tonight is ridiculous....

We lost tonight's game because the pitchers couldn't trust their catcher to catch anything. Butterfingers Olivo dropped perfect strikes and poorly framed some others, let breaking balls out of the zone roll to the back stop and just for good measure dropped a few relay throws to the plate.

We lost tonight's game because Abercrombie misread every ball that came his way. He was late reacting to any ball to either side of him. Started in when it was over his head. Started back when it was in front of him. Only by the grace of some diety did he reach and hang onto those "Web Gem" catches. It was like watching Preston Wilson out there. It was that bad.

We lost tonight's game because the team was taken out of it before they even had a chance. I was sitting 4 rows behind the dugout and saw the anguished faces of 25+ men tonight who wore expressions of disappointment, frustration and embarrassment throughout the night.

Hopefully the little bit of life they showed in the 9th will extend to tomorrow. While they didn't score a run, it ended on a somewhat optimistic note. We can't stop fighting. It's only July. Plenty of baseball left to play.

Your first statement that we lost because "pitchers couldn't trust their catcher to catch anything" is based on what? What you think the pitchers were thinking? As for Abercrombie, how he can be blamed for this loss when he caught all balls hit within his range and put the Marlins only run up on the board is beyond me.

I'm amazed you made no mention of Ricky Nolasco's performance contributing to this loss. He was all over the place and when he did put it over the plate, he got rocked. Olivo should have caught the first passed ball, but it would have been near impossible for any catcher to pick Nolasco's wild pitch.

Hopefully Nolasco will bounce back from this outing before we face New York. I think he can.

Miguel Olivo and Matt Treanor are the same offensive player

and rferry, I think you may have finally gone insane

NO they arent Olvio has 9HR this season and treanor doesnt have that his whole career I believe Olvio is batting over .285 and was second in RBI's for the Marlins in June to say they are the same Offensive player is just CRAZY

NO they arent Olvio has 9HR this season and treanor doesnt have that his whole career I believe Olvio is batting over .285 and was second in RBI's for the Marlins in June to say they are the same Offensive player is just CRAZY

You obviously didnt see where I was going there, but I dig that about you :thumbup

You obviously didnt see where I was going there, but I dig that about you :thumbup

I agree about the Rferry going insane part :whistle

Guest Lissy

I really can't see how anyone could blame this loss on Reggie.

The guy had a good game. He hit a HR (our only run), drew a walk, and made a couple of nice plays.

Why do you think those balls were thrown down the middle of the plate? Because Nolasco couldn't trust his catcher to handle anything else. Nolasco got no support out there.

It's true that Abercrombie made every catch he was close to. And he was incredibly lucky in that respect. There was absolutly no wind in the park. And he couldn't tell where the ball was landing on its dive to the ground? His body was so twisted up making routine catches, they appeared to be miracle catches. I thought there was one ball in short center which he could have caught had he had got the proper jump. And a few hits he played into doubles and triples. That's unexcusable play, home run or not.

Don't worry rferry, I have the same sleeping problem. Everytime I go to the stadium and my team is getting hammer, I intend to get bored and fall asleep. While I'm sleeping I dream about the game but with a different senario. When I wake up the dream seems convincing for awhile. So I know how it must feel like being confuse and lost while everyone post about the game result. Don't worry in a couple of day you will realize that you did fell asleep and the game that you thought you saw didn't really happen. So here is a link to to help you remember what really happen: http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=fla

Have a nice day and don't worry everything will clear up in time. If 3 days has pass and you are still unsure still about what happen in the stadium, please pay a visit to the doctor thank you. :)

A pitcher doesn't trust a catcher so he throws in the middle instead? :blink:

now i've heard it all.

You've never pitched before have you? You've never played competitive sports before, have you? If no one is helping me, if I can't trust a teammate, you say screw them and do it yourself. You don't mix speeds to get the batter off-balance because you're not sure your fielders are going to convert those hits into outs. You don't throw breaking stuff because you're not sure your catcher can handle it. You feel as if you're the only one who can win the game and you try to overpower hitters. The result is fastballs right down the middle of the plate, a hitter's dream. That's what the Nats were hitting yesterday. Teeing off on them.

A pitcher doesn't trust a catcher so he throws in the middle instead? :blink:

now i've heard it all.

You've never pitched before have you? You've never played competitive sports before, have you? If no one is helping me, if I can't trust a teammate, you say screw them and do it yourself. You don't mix speeds to get the batter off-balance because you're not sure your fielders are going to convert those hits into outs. You don't throw breaking stuff because you're not sure your catcher can handle it. You feel as if you're the only one who can win the game and you try to overpower hitters. The result is fastballs right down the middle of the plate, a hitter's dream. That's what the Nats were hitting yesterday. Teeing off on them.

You should stop this argument now. You are just projecting whatever you went through as a ball player (I am guessing) onto Nolasco. You act as if Olivo was letting the ball fly by him left and right. He allowed one passed ball. The other was a nearly uncatchable wild pitch, which led to a run.

But instead of relying on some wild idea you have come up with for what happened, lets read what Ricky had to say:

"I couldn't get the ball down consistently," Nolasco said. "That's where it all started. You can't be successful leaving balls up and getting behind in the count. ... Anytime I have an outing like I did tonight I expect to lose." (Source -- http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-mar...la-sports-front)

No blame for Olivo. Girardi also acknowledged Ricky wasn't sharp, as did most people on this board who commented on his performance. But, if you want to continue believing this theory of yours with no evidence and only your idea of what Nolasco thought, be my guest.

It was a bad outing. Pitchers have them. He just needs to get over it and have a strong game against the Mets.

Yes, pitchers have bad outings. Very few know why they do. Even fewer know how to prevent the same from occuring again. Those that do typically become great pitchers and/or great coaches.

I witnessed Nolasco pitch much differently from the start of the game from innings that came after. He threw fewer balls around the corners and few breaking balls. In my opinion that was caused by the misplays of the defense, which included Olivo's inability to hold on to the ball that if you saw the game and paid attention occurred more often than what shows up in the box score. Dropped pitches, dropped throws from another fielder, poorly framed pitches and the like.

If you have a different perspective on why, fine. I'm sure we don't see eye to eye on all matters.

Your theory is very flawed for one big reason that I haven't seen posted yet. Doesn't Olivo catch all of Nolasco's games? Nolasco had been lights out until the other night. Did he just decided to lose confidence in his catcher that morning? If Nolasco has a good outing next time out, will he have regained confidence in his catcher? Also, wouldn't Josh Johnson have the same problems with Olivo? I'm sorry but your theory just doesn't hold up. Olivo is a decent player. Not an all star by any means, but with our salary issues, he is just the kind of player we need. Now, Reggie on the other hand did misplay every ball and should be in the minors, but he didn't costs us that game. If Nolasco is that mentally weak, then he isn't going to make it in the majors.

Let's get this straight. It's not a theory, it's an observation.

From what I've seen from prior games, Olivo had a bad day himself. He doesn't drop that many balls. How much that was him, or his reaction to an on-field event, we don't know.

As for Nolasco (or Olivo or any player) being mentally weak. Willis seems to do okay despite being disrupted quite often.