Red Sox Busy on the Trade Front

FutureGM

According to the Boston Herald, the Red Sox have acquired first-baseman Carlos Pena from the Yankees for.....something. I have not heard what they were going to receive, but my guess would be a PTBNL.

The same thing then happened again later today, when the Blue Jays sent Eric Hinske to the Red Sox for an undetermined return package (again, probably a PTBNL). At first it was rumored that Manny Delcarmen would be the Red Sox's end of the trade, but it does not look like that anymore.

Front office doesn't seem to have much faith on Lowell holding up over the next 6 weeks or in Pena being able to hold his own everyday in right until Nixon comes back (if he does). I like the move as it bolsters the bench and Hinske can play multiple positions and he's gonna help us in resting the two aforementioned and also Youk. Nothing wrong with left handed power in Fenway either.

We are going to pay him ~4.2 million for this and next year. Very, very reasonable for a guy with a .865 OPS. His defense sucks but hopefully he only starts when someone really needs it or as an emergency plan and is used more as a pinch hitter. No way in hell would the Sox trade lil Manny for a guy like Hinske. He is one of our best relievers and projects as our future set-up man. I don't want to let him go.

Toronto is covering about half of his salary next year and the Sox picked up the remaining 1.4 million for this year. Good move, in that it provides some depth on the corners and in the outfield. The Sox outfield when Trot comes back in September will have Manny, Coco, Wily Mo, Trot and Hinske, which is a big upgrade over one with Gabe Kapler in it.

As for Carlos Pena, he'll get a call up in September and provide an extra left handed bat off the bench, and the option to rest both Youkilis and Lowell on the same day if absolutely necessary, without sacrificing TOO much offense. It's unlikely that situation would come up, but it's nice to have the depth anyway.

ok...i can understand getting hinske...but why pena? i mean if hinske can play first...which i think he can, why get pena?

Depth at first, flexibility in the infield, left handed bat off the bench which we need, and he will be in Pawtucket until we call him up in September. There is no downside to the move and he's probably pretty stoked to be back in the Boston area.

ok...i can understand getting hinske...but why pena? i mean if hinske can play first...which i think he can, why get pena?

Depth at first, flexibility in the infield, left handed bat off the bench which we need, and he will be in Pawtucket until we call him up in September. There is no downside to the move and he's probably pretty stoked to be back in the Boston area.

but say the sawx make the playoffs...there is no way in hell he would be on the playoff roster right? i dont know...seems like making a move for the sake of making a move...and to get him from the yankees? something is rotten in worcester

No way in hell? Why would he not? With Alvarez going on the 60 Day DL, he is going to be off the 40 man and Pena would more than likely be the one to replace him.

I don't see any downside to it as he is starting in AAA. He batted .260/.370/.454 for Columbus and if he plays well with the Paw Sox he is going to get some ML ABs. He is costing us pennies.

Theo doesn't make moves to make moves. See: Deadline, 2006 Trading.

No way in hell? Why would he not? With Alvarez going on the 60 Day DL, he is going to be off the 40 man and Pena would more than likely be the one to replace him.

I don't see any downside to it as he is starting in AAA. He batted .260/.370/.454 for Columbus and if he plays well with the Paw Sox he is going to get some ML ABs. He is costing us pennies.

Theo doesn't make moves to make moves. See: Deadline, 2006 Trading.

ok...i didnt know alvarez was going to the long DL...if i was a sawx fan, i would have prefered to get more pitching...and while yes, these deals give them line-up versatility, you can never have too much pitching...especially the way beckett and the bullpen has thrown plus throw in the injuries and that staff is in sorry shape