8/22 - Nationals at Marlins

Marlinswschamps2008

vs

Winning two straight has suddenly put the Marlins in position to enjoy a strong homestand, not to mention take the three-game series with the Nationals.

In the midst of a 10-game homestand, Florida got off to a rough start by losing two in a row to Atlanta. But since Sunday, they have rebounded, edging the Braves, 4-3, on Sunday and the Nationals, 3-1, on Monday night.

Now the Marlins send their most dependable pitcher to the mound on Tuesday.

Boasting the best ERA in the Major Leagues, Josh Johnson goes for his 12th victory. The 6-foot-7 rookie has faced the Nationals twice, once in relief, and he is 1-0 with a 2.57 ERA against them.

Johnson is closing in on Dontrelle Willis' rookie record for wins (14) set in 2003.

A victory would be the third straight win by Johnson, matching his personal high streak. From June 13-26, he ran off three in a row. At home, the right-hander is 5-3 with a 2.98 ERA.

Washington is going with right-hander Jason Bergmann, who has faced Florida four times in relief this season.

Tuesday night's game will feature a special visit. The Marlins are hosting three characters from the "Star Wars" saga. On hand will be the movie characters Chewbacca, Darth Vader and Wicket the Ewok. All three will throw out the ceremonial first pitch, and they are at the game helping to promote the upcoming release of the "Star Wars" Trilogy on DVD, and the "LEGO Stars Wars II: The Original Trilogy" game from LucasArts.

Pitching matchup

FLA: RHP Josh Johnson (11-6, 2.84)

Johnson leads the Major Leagues in ERA. In his last start, the right-hander won at Dodger Stadium, giving up four runs in six innings. He ended an L.A. run of winning 17 of 18, including six straight. Johnson has won two straight decisions, and three of his last four starts. On May 4, Johnson beat the Nationals at RFK Stadium, giving up two runs in five innings.

WAS: RHP Jason Bergmann (0-1, 7.31)

Bergmann will make his third start since being recalled from the Minor Leagues on Aug. 11. In his last start, Bergmann lasted six innings, giving up four runs on five hits against the Braves. He didn't pitch as badly as his line indicates. He only had one bad inning. Atlanta was already leading, 1-0, when it scored three runs in the fifth.

Player to watch

Miguel Cabrera raised his batting average to .339 after going 2-for-3 with a walk and RBI on Monday night. The slugger is batting .348 since the All-Star break (48-for-138).

On the Internet

MLB.TV

Gameday Audio

• Gameday

• Official game notes

On television

• SUN

On radio

• 560 WQAM, 1140 WQBA(Espa?ol)

Credit : MLB.com

Keep the winning streak alive! :gofishb

Today's my B-Day so I hope my team gives me an extra gift with a must needed win. I don't know if I'm going to be around game time but I hope our team kickes some ass tonight.

Lastly, I would like to say that I hope you guys like my game threads. :thumbup

Lastly, I would like to say that I hope you guys like my game threads. :thumbup

They look fine.

Oh, and happy birthday. :balloons

Game threads are looking good kid.

The pitching matchup is in our favor bigtime. These are the kind of games the Fish have to turn into a W.

I hope Cody is in the lineup so he can gun down a Nat or two tryin to stretch a single into a double.

:thumbup

Amezaga makes a diving grab on a ball that should have been caught without it. End of inning.

Are you freaking serious? Anyone would've had to dive for that, even Andrew Jones. Not even giving credit to Mezzy there is just ridiculous.

Give me a break. He stuttered after the ball and wasn't running hard in the right direction the whole way. I'm not a big believer in giving credit for diving plays as a result of bad judgement.