Why not bat Hermida higher in the lineup?

Hollyberry

If it were up to me Hermida would be batting leadoff and Uggla second (because Uggla has more power).

I don't like Hanley at the leadoff role because he strikes out a lot and doesn't have the OBP potential that Hermida does. Hanley is probably in the leadoff role because of his speed. I think the leadoff spot should be more about OBP than stolen bases (JP killed us last year).

And I don't think Uggla should be dropped from the two spot because he has good OBP.

Hanley's on base is .001 behind Hermida's right now. And while the potential is there for Hermida, the fact is that he flat out sucks right now and there is no reason to move him up in the lineup.

I'd bat him leadoff. He has the best eye on the team when he's not slumping. Well besides Cabs.

Hammer arguably has the better eye... but still

I understand why you both think this but could Jeremy be struggling because he is trying to be too aggressive?

Just a thought.

He is struggling because he refuses to take a walk right now... all he wants are hits

He refuses to take a walk because he is expected to drive in runs. Thats the thing. If he batted higher his job would not be to drive in runs but to get on base. Maybe he would be more comfortable.

I'd like to learn how to measure OBP potential.

Take a peak at his minor league numbers

linky

I understand why you both think this but could Jeremy be struggling because he is trying to be too aggressive?

Just a thought.

He is struggling because he refuses to take a walk right now... all he wants are hits

He refuses to take a walk because he is expected to drive in runs. Thats the thing. If he batted higher his job would not be to drive in runs but to get on base. Maybe he would be more comfortable.

I dont see how batting him higher he wouldnt be expected to drive in runs

If I were to look at this guy's numbers, would it prove that he has better avg potential than Hermida? I mean his minor league avg is 297 vs Hermida's career minor league 284.

He has the lowest avg of all todays starters (aside from pitcher JJ), and you all say he should lead off.

Sometimes players are given roles not because they've earned them, but they will help them perform better. Not everything should be based on rewards and penalties.

(Aside: for a leadoff hitter, batting average isn't quite as important as on base ability. Think about it. It's the same reason why teams don't normally put sluggers in the leadoff spot. They come to bat with the fewest baserunners on base. There's no need for them to advance runners. So a walk is often just as good as a hit for them. Especially when you believe a secondary requirement of the position is to extend each plate appearance to show all the oppoisition's pitches.)

1. Hanley

2. Hermida

3. Cabrera

4. Uggla

5. Jacobs

6. Willingham

7. New CF -TBD (ross for now lets say)

8. Olivo

9. Willis

That is my own lineup for now that I like best. It gives a good lefty vs righty mix up too. I like the hanley speed at the top, then the OBP of hermida. Miggy then giving the power with uggla some as well right behind him. Give up a lefty then with Jacobs and willingham next. Helms easily can fill in for Jacobs in a lefty lineup and not miss a step with his RISP. Olivo is a free swinger as is D-train(pitcher)

Hermida is deffinitly slumping, and if he had just a little more pop off his bat I would consider moving him up for some protection, but the power hasent showed up there and like ramp said he dosent take a walk anymore. I believe Tommy was saying there was somthing mechanical that was wrong with him too, once he works those out and starts taking walks again i would consider moving him up. o, and i cant count how many times he has come up to bat with runners on 2nd and 3rd and less then two outs and fails to move anyone, i expected a little more from him, as i believe we all have.

If I were to look at this guy's numbers, would it prove that he has better avg potential than Hermida? I mean his minor league avg is 297 vs Hermida's career minor league 284.

He has the lowest avg of all todays starters (aside from pitcher JJ), and you all say he should lead off.

Why are you so fixated on AVG in the leadoff spot?

well if you have a high batting avg it helps your obp numbers. You can have 100 walks, but if you are batting .240 your obp won't be that high. now if you are batting .300 you might have a 430 obp. Of course you can have the exact opposite and have someone with a high avg and no walks so pick your poison i guess.