September 1, 200620 yr HYDE: Marlins president is a real crass act Published September 1, 2006 As astronomers continue their discussion on Pluto, here's a question: On what planet is it considered funny for a company president to talk publicly and repeatedly about pornography, sex toys, stripper poles and what he might do to a stranger's girlfriend? Because that's the planet David Samson lives on. The spoken language is oink. Recently, the Marlins' team president gave another supposedly comic discourse on 790 The Ticket (WAXY-AM) that touched all the bases of women, sex and pornography. This isn't uncommon. In the past, he has "joked" of having Porn Night at the stadium. He's "joked" of having a sex toy in his car. He's "joked" which players looked like porn stars. (Do you see the thread here? And are you laughing yet?) On this particular show, a male caller who said he otherwise enjoyed Samson's segment asked him to, "Please try not to be so derogatory toward women and lustful when you do the interview. I try to enjoy the show with my girl, and she's like, `Oh, that Dave Samson, he's a real creep.'" "Don't be lecherous, Samson," show host Dan LeBatard said. "I will try to be slightly less lecherous for his girlfriend," Samson said. "And if he would like to bring her to my office, we could definitely talk about my lechery." Do people talk that way on his planet? It's one thing for radio talk-show hosts to carry on like this. But it's another matter entirely for a top executive of a Major League Baseball team that caters to women, kids and families, that's trying to get a publicly funded stadium and that desperately needs the broader community to root, root, root for the home team. Samson said on Thursday the show is "done completely tongue in cheek. It is a show where movies are reviewed and conversations are had all for the purpose of humor. We absolutely do not intend to have anybody take anything that is said on the show seriously." He then gave this example: "We were talking of a [Marlins] promotion where strippers would give lap dances and I said, `No, it's much funnier if you have them work the foul pole.' If people think that is seriously a promotion ..." What a moron he sounds like. This isn't about political correctness. It's about class and common sense and simple good taste. And if Samson doesn't see it that way, hopefully Commissioner Bud Selig will soon. This is the baseball season where Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen was keelhauled and sentenced to sensitivity training for calling a writer a homosexual slur in a random, off-the-cuff remark. It's the one where New York Mets announcer Keith Hernandez was publicly reprimanded after wondering what a woman was doing in the San Diego dugout. Told she was a team therapist, Hernandez said, "I won't say that women belong in the kitchen, but they don't belong in the dugout." Those were one-sentence incidents. Samson's is ongoing radio schtick. On another show, he was asked, "in honor of Maurice Clarett," what would police find in his car if he were pulled over. "I think there's two things that would potentially be found," he said. "First one is Nina Blackwood." She was an original MTV V-jay. Nothing wrong with having a dream date. He continued: "Second one would be some sort of Austin Powers-like device. ... Austin Powers had a device that made everyone coo and was given back to him when he was unfrozen, and that's the device that potentially is kept in the trunk of my car. That's all I'm saying." The device to which he alluded, as the movie Web site said, is a "Swedish-made penis enlarger pump." To which Samson asked Thursday: "Is it against the law to talk about penis enlarger pumps?" Didn't I have this discussion in seventh grade? Let's be clear. Austin Powers talking about penis enlarger pumps? Funny. The president of the Marlins talking about penis enlarger pumps, stripper poles, porn and an anonymous caller's girlfriend? Utterly idiotic. But not ha-ha funny. Strange funny. Weird funny. What-planet-is-that-guy-on funny. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...-sports-marlins
September 1, 200620 yr Ridiculous a man in his position would even say things like that in public He is a joke and seriously must have some sort of dirt on Loria to even have a job.
September 1, 200620 yr Weird. A lotta talk for a little guy. Some things are tongue in cheek but we you are in his position that is just weird/stupid.
September 1, 200620 yr I reference this article in another post dealing with the lack of dealing by the deadline. Read Hyde's article in the Sun Sentinel today. Samson was apparently busy last night with his sex toys and Beinfest could not get his approval on any deal. Loria was seen at an art auction talking to himself saying "I am the boss, I am the boss". Minor league owner and pervert President, Mr. Triathlete.
September 1, 200620 yr Can't stand Samson. Nepotism at its best. He is a joke and seriously must have some sort of dirt on Loria to even have a job. He is Loria's son-in-law. If it weren't for that relationship to a baseball owner, Samson couldn't get a job as a hot dog vendor.
September 1, 200620 yr Can't stand Samson. Nepotism at its best. He is a joke and seriously must have some sort of dirt on Loria to even have a job. He is Loria's son-in-law. If it weren't for that relationship to a baseball owner, Samson couldn't get a job as a hot dog vendor. who knows, maybe once loria sells the team (and/or finally rids himself of samson), samson can get a job as a bouncer at Club Pink Pussycat by the airport. :hat
September 1, 200620 yr Can't stand Samson. Nepotism at its best. He is a joke and seriously must have some sort of dirt on Loria to even have a job. He is Loria's son-in-law. If it weren't for that relationship to a baseball owner, Samson couldn't get a job as a hot dog vendor. who knows, maybe once loria sells the team (and/or finally rids himself of samson), samson can get a job as a bouncer at Club Pink Pussycat by the airport. :hat Atleast he will still be with the Mermaids :plain.
September 1, 200620 yr Anytime you make this group look more cracker-jack than it already is on the surface, well, more power to you.
September 1, 200620 yr Can't stand Samson. Nepotism at its best. He is a joke and seriously must have some sort of dirt on Loria to even have a job. He is Loria's son-in-law. If it weren't for that relationship to a baseball owner, Samson couldn't get a job as a hot dog vendor. I believe Samson is a stepson and with the divorce of Loria, he may be ex stepson.
September 1, 200620 yr I've never liked Samson, he's an a**hole, and I really feel this franchise we'll never be able to move forward until he is gone.
September 1, 200620 yr I heard Samson gives great head. I think Beinfest is the only decent bigshot in the FO. The rest are one form of garbage or another.
September 1, 200620 yr I have no love for Samson but I think this is a stupid article, what he said on the radio... seriously who cares? I heard this segment and live it didn't sound that bad. Also a fictional Austin Powers penis-pump is not a sex toy. Lolz all around on this article, nevermind the WC race.
September 1, 200620 yr Can't stand Samson. Nepotism at its best. He is a joke and seriously must have some sort of dirt on Loria to even have a job. He is Loria's son-in-law. If it weren't for that relationship to a baseball owner, Samson couldn't get a job as a hot dog vendor. I believe Samson is a stepson and with the divorce of Loria, he may be ex stepson. He has been and continues to be an embarrassment. I have thought that perhaps this was the ex-Mrs. Loria?s revenge ? I keep my money and you keep my idiot son, enjoy!
September 1, 200620 yr The point is not whether anyone here is offended or not, the point is there is no need to offend anyone and this organization can scarcely afford to go around offending people! Sorry, but I think it?s unacceptable for the President of a major league baseball team that is trying to get support for a ballpark and build a fan base to conduct himself that way. He?s not a frat boy going over to Dan?s house for a keg party. This is the same man who also goes on the radio to encourage people to take their kids out to the games. The same kids who may be listening to him discuss stripper poles and he should know better since he has little kids himself. The same way he offended someone?s girlfriend, as referenced in the article, how many others has he offended? Is this good public relations? Then again, I have never seen an organization so clueless about public relations as this one.
September 1, 200620 yr This is a great article because it shows that the media is starting to lead the campaign against this ownership group. Samson's behavior just adds to the culture of unprofessionalism that's rife within the business side of the Marlins' front office. I'm tired of these people. They want to be taken seriously? Then don't publicly embarrass the team's manager, but rather leave the dispute behind close doors. Don't promise that Delgado won't be traded, then trade him. Don't go on public radio and reinforce the perception that the people who matter within the organization don't care about baseball. It's time, Mr. Selig, to exercize the "Best Interest of Baseball" Clause and kick this group of wannabes and freeloaders out of Major League Baseball forever.
September 1, 200620 yr I think Beinfest is the only decent bigshot in the FO. The rest are one form of garbage or another. Despite the continuous problems he's had working with scouting directors, coaches, players and agents?
September 1, 200620 yr Samson's behavior just adds to the culture of unprofessionalism that's rife within the business side of the Marlins' front office. Yes, and at this point, a little common sense would be refreshing.
September 1, 200620 yr I think Beinfest is the only decent bigshot in the FO. The rest are one form of garbage or another. Despite the continuous problems he's had working with scouting directors, coaches, players and agents? I've yet to see the sacred cow that you don't want to slaughter. (I'm not trying to start a fight nor do I mean it negatively)
September 1, 200620 yr There are reasons for disliking Sampson. This is not one of them. Wrong, this is just another reason. Let's understand a personality who thinks he is funny and self gratifying with a show whereby he just carries on about his interest in movies and other garbage. I do what I am entitled to do, that is I do not listen to him, thus I only know what Hyde wrote. Why anyone listens is beyond me. Now, any juvenile can speak like Samson, but they do not get a radio show and why should he, based on his position as President of the Marlins, get a show to spout idiotic, sophmoric statements. Doesn't say much for his maturity and respect for his position with the team and standing in the community. The Marlins have an outstanding community foundation, supporting charities and worthwhile causes all over s. Florida, especially many childrens causes. Then to have this Bozo out there as the main spokesperson for the team is so counterproductive to everything a corporate citizen should be and represent. He may be a very caring family man and donate to many charities himself-so why the need to be a joke, and a perverted one at that. Just imagine how he acts in meetings with other executives not to mention city officials and mlb reps. Geez, must have been some meetings with him and the other embarrasment, Arriola.
September 1, 200620 yr The point is not whether anyone here is offended or not, the point is there is no need to offend anyone and this organization can scarcely afford to go around offending people! Sorry, but I think it's unacceptable for the President of a major league baseball team that is trying to get support for a ballpark and build a fan base to conduct himself that way. He's not a frat boy going over to Dan's house for a keg party. This is the same man who also goes on the radio to encourage people to take their kids out to the games. The same kids who may be listening to him discuss stripper poles and he should know better since he has little kids himself. The same way he offended someone's girlfriend, as referenced in the article, how many others has he offended? Is this good public relations? Then again, I have never seen an organization so clueless about public relations as this one. I agree 100%. Even though he's only human, he needs to realize that there's a time and place to joke around like that. A popular radio show, for a man like him, is not the time.
September 1, 200620 yr I think Beinfest is the only decent bigshot in the FO. The rest are one form of garbage or another. Despite the continuous problems he's had working with scouting directors, coaches, players and agents? Can you be specific and detail these continuous problems? I like Beinfest and don't have any big issue with him or his people or anything they've done other than their current efforts to torpedo the manager.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.