Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The worse streak in MLB history

Featured Replies

The Red Sox have been having the worse streak in history after getting to within 1 1/2 game to the Yankees they had the 5 games sweep at home Schilling and Beckett both had been on pace to win 20 games can't beat anyone. Ortiz has been hospitalized twice (their MVP candidate) with arrythmia. Their Rookie closer (Paplebon) is having shoulder problems after showing he is the best closer in baseball. Now their rookie starter which has been the only one pitching well has been dignosed with cancer...Whats next?...the bird Flu?...Bubonic Plague?...Locust?

The plague is easily treatable with penicillin.

  • Author

You may be right, but your synopsis of the team sucks.

 

sorry i kinda just rushed it

 

If you want to add to it you're more than welcome Passion

It's a real shame what has happened to the Sox down the stretch this season but there's no reason to make light of serious issues such as heart problems and cancer.

 

Yes, they might be the Red Sox but at the same time they are human beings. I simply can't imagine the morale in that clubhouse right now. Baseball has to be the last thing on there minds with players recovering from serious health issues. I only wish the best for that franchise to rebound next year.

 

BTW I really wouldn't call this a "streak". It's just bad luck.

Papelbon was never the best closer in baseball.

 

Lester had been terrible as of late (pre-lymphoma).

 

Beckett has sucked since May (wins is a terrible statistic).

 

Schilling has pitched a sh*tload of innings for his age.

 

David Ortiz is really an unfortunate occurence, but again, that has only been for the past few games.

 

Losing Jason Varitek is the real blow, however. The guy was the heart and soul of that team. He knew how to handle the staff, played solid D and despite being brutal at the plate this year, usually came through when his team needed him most.

 

I don't see how you can attribute the Sox downfall to the Yankees series, the writing was on the wall much earlier than that. Pre-Yankee series they had lost 5/6 to Tampa Bay and Baltimore.

 

Let's face it, the Sox are simply not that good, and they just couldn't keep the boat afloat after losing Tek.

Papelbon was never the best closer in baseball.

He is having one of the top 5 seasons for a closer in the modern era.

I don't see how you can attribute the Sox downfall to the Yankees series, the writing was on the wall much earlier than that. Pre-Yankee series they had lost 5/6 to Tampa Bay and Baltimore.

They swept Baltimore but did lose 2/3 to the Rays.

Papelbon was never the best closer in baseball.

He is having one of the top 5 seasons for a closer in the modern era.

I don't see how you can attribute the Sox downfall to the Yankees series, the writing was on the wall much earlier than that. Pre-Yankee series they had lost 5/6 to Tampa Bay and Baltimore.

They swept Baltimore but did lose 2/3 to the Rays.

 

I'm not arguing about Papelbons season statistics. They are disgusting. He has been absolutely spectacular (though he has faltered lately). If you check the MVP, Cy Young, ROY posts you'll notice I am/was one of the few people giving Paps his due in the Cy Young and ROY races.

 

He is still not the best closer in baseball, nor was he ever.

 

And wait a minute. . .when did they get swept by the Devil Rays then? Did I seriously just make that 5 of 6 thing up? I could've sworn they lost 5/6 to somebody right before the Yankees series...Or maybe that was after...

 

I need to get more sleep.

Oh yeah, that was all over the news in ESPN. I can't believe you miss it Bryan, they were showing it every 5 mins. It was a dark day for Boston fans and a April Fool day for Yankees fans after the sweep.

  • Author

I agree the Varitek injury was the beginning but everything has unraveled quickly since the 5 games yankees series...but this goes beyond snake-bitten...I agree that team has had so much heartbreak as of late. Papelbon had better stats than Mariano Rivera...he was at the time the best reliever in the majors

I agree the Varitek injury was the beginning but everything has unraveled quickly since the 5 games yankees series...but this goes beyond snake-bitten...I agree that team has had so much heartbreak as of late. Papelbon had better stats than Mariano Rivera...he was at the time the best reliever in the majors

 

 

Paplebon has blown 6 saves this season. K-Rod has blown 3, Bobby Jenks 2, and guys like Trevor Hoffman and Mariano Rivera still have some of the best stuff in baseball with Hoffman's change and Rivera's cutter. Closers are the best if they get the job done, not based on their ERA in my opinion, because 1 terrible outing will do a closer's ERA in. There are a bunch of closers who have been more efficient.

  • Author

I agree the Varitek injury was the beginning but everything has unraveled quickly since the 5 games yankees series...but this goes beyond snake-bitten...I agree that team has had so much heartbreak as of late. Papelbon had better stats than Mariano Rivera...he was at the time the best reliever in the majors

 

 

Paplebon has blown 6 saves this season. K-Rod has blown 3, Bobby Jenks 2, and guys like Trevor Hoffman and Mariano Rivera still have some of the best stuff in baseball with Hoffman's change and Rivera's cutter. Closers are the best if they get the job done, not based on their ERA in my opinion, because 1 terrible outing will do a closer's ERA in. There are a bunch of closers who have been more efficient.

Look when most of the Blown saves occurred. I think Paplebon was lights out into about 3 weels ago. I think it's not coicindental that he now has shoulder problems until then Papelbon was as good or better stats-wise than all those u have mentioned. He had 3 BS i believe until then

I agree the Varitek injury was the beginning but everything has unraveled quickly since the 5 games yankees series...but this goes beyond snake-bitten...I agree that team has had so much heartbreak as of late. Papelbon had better stats than Mariano Rivera...he was at the time the best reliever in the majors

 

 

Paplebon has blown 6 saves this season. K-Rod has blown 3, Bobby Jenks 2, and guys like Trevor Hoffman and Mariano Rivera still have some of the best stuff in baseball with Hoffman's change and Rivera's cutter. Closers are the best if they get the job done, not based on their ERA in my opinion, because 1 terrible outing will do a closer's ERA in. There are a bunch of closers who have been more efficient.

Look when most of the Blown saves occurred. I think Paplebon was lights out into about 3 weels ago. I think it's not coicindental that he now has shoulder problems until then Papelbon was as good or better stats-wise than all those u have mentioned. He had 3 BS i believe until then

 

That's true, but it still doesn't say that he's the best in baseball. He's definitly among the top 5 best closers, but not the best. He's up there with K-Rod and Jenks though.

I still rather have Mariano out there in the ninth than anyone else in the world.

I still rather have Mariano out there in the ninth than anyone else in the world.

 

He's definately awesome, but there are a couple of hitters who have his number. It's unfortunate that two of them play for our biggest division rival...

 

With that said, he's listed as 36 now which could mean he's really anywhere from 36-42. I don't see a quality setup guy in the organization right now, like he was for Wetteland. So for Yankee haters, the time is close at hand where this is going to be a problem position for us. As it is, we don't have anybody to close games out if Mo is unavailable. All you have to do is look at the Proctor debacle on August 30 in the double-header against the Tigers. He is now 0-7 in save opportunities? That's scary bad.

 

Anyway, even as a Yankee fan, I don't like to see players going down due to Cancer or heart palpitations. It's especially bad when you are talking about a quality baseball personality like Big Papi. As much as I love to see the Redsox lose, it's WAY more enjoyable to see them lose when Manny and Papi combine for an 0-9 night with 9 k's... :mischief

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.