Girardi Tonight

Madman81

Look, it happens.

We had to beat the Mets and the umpire. Or did you forget that he single-handedly changed the course of the 8th and 9th innings for the Mets.

By my count, LoDuca should have been ejected in the 8th, Tank had Beltran struck out in the 8th, Borowski had Delgado and Wright both struck out in the 9th and the zone got suspiciously wider for Willingham and Cabrera earlier in the game.

Girardi's only bad move was sticking with Tank too long in the 8th (especially with Pinto up). After the Beltran walk, I figured it was Pinto for Delgado, Resop for Wright and then Borowski for the 4 out save (as the warm-up pattern I was shown on SNY suggested).

Again, Girardi doesn't call balls and strikes and he doesn't hit. That's what it comes down to...and, yeah, not hitting for Olivo probably wasn't a great idea, but you can't embarass a starter like that.

he just really needs to think things through sometimes. if he thought about just half of the moves he's made this season we would have won half a dozen more games.

i understand u want to give some young guys experience in pressure situations or get some work in for them. but there is a time for that, and if the guy proves that he just cant do it, then take him out! common sense dont u think?

Giradi needs to take the tape from the game, look over it a billion times and plan things out right for the series finale.

2 out of 3 is what we need to take. ASAP

If he doesn't use Tank after Tank has had to sit while we hit, we don't lose this game.

Arguable.

Pinto might not have worked out of the 7th inning spotlessly, and Tank's slider didn't have an assload of movement on it.

I repeat, for the 4th time, it was the umpire. Tankersley was ahead of EVERY batter he faced. EVERY BATTER.

Something's wrong there, and quite frankly, it was the home plate umpire. (And I never bitch about umpires like this).

this was all first-guessing, for the record:

a. NO pitcher should go more than one inning, unless it's absolutely necessary. Let the Tankersley Tommy John countdown begin.

b. Tank needed to come out when he let the first two on base to start the inning (though he shouldn't have even started the inning after such a laborious first inning of work)

c. you HAVE to have faith, and show faith, in the other arms in your bullpen.

Tank gave it all he could. I don't usually blame managers, but this one's on Girardi.

this was all first-guessing, for the record:

a. NO pitcher should go more than one inning, unless it's absolutely necessary. Let the Tankersley Tommy John countdown begin.

b. Tank needed to come out when he let the first two on base to start the inning (though he shouldn't have even started the inning after such a laborious first inning of work)

c. you HAVE to have faith, and show faith, in the other arms in your bullpen.

Tank gave it all he could. I don't usually blame managers, but this one's on Girardi.

bring in your best reliever (joe) to face their best hitter...common sense

Joe bailed on Nalasco too quickly.

He had Hanely run in the mud with the best hitters on their way to the plate.

He put Tankersley back out there after too many pitches.

He gave up one of his final 6 outs to have one of his better hitters bunt.

He didn't use Jacobs for Olivo.

Using Wood and Aguila was not a mistake in the 9th, it just shouldn't have come to that.

Using Wood and Aguila was not a mistake in the 9th, it just shouldn't have come to that.

:notworthy :notworthy

Again, Girardi doesn't call balls and strikes and he doesn't hit. That's what it comes down to...and, yeah, not hitting for Olivo probably wasn't a great idea, but you can't embarass a starter like that.

the marlins are in the middle of a wildcard race and youre worried about embarassing starters??? they cant be worried about if someones feelings are gonna be hurt, they have to try to win each and every game by any means (and im sure olivo could care less if thats what it takes to win, if he does, hes selfish and not a team player)

if pinch hitting for a slumping mediocre #8 hitter whos at .250 (who by the way has been over-achieving all year) is what it takes to win, then im all for it.

i didnt even care too much about joe having helms bunt and keeping tank in for too long, but i think not pinch hitting a big time hitter like jacobs with the tieing run on base is completely unexcuasble.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

Girardi's only bad move was sticking with Tank too long in the 8th (especially with Pinto up). After the Beltran walk, I figured it was Pinto for Delgado, Resop for Wright and then Borowski for the 4 out save (as the warm-up pattern I was shown on SNY suggested).

Not that it matters, but I thought that Beltran hammered a single into left to put runners on first and second. But yes, I agree that Tank should have been yanked before Delgado.

Dear Girardi,

The Wes Helms thing really got me angry. You have 6 outs left and a runner on first after Willingham singles. You take out Willingham -- one of your best hitters -- and bring in Reed to pinch run. Then you have the best "close and late" guy in the entire league lay down a bunt with no one behind him to knock in the run. In one move, you simultaneously took out your second or third best hitter, your best close and late hitter, and gave away 16.5% of the outs you have left.

To top it off, since you took out one of your outfielders, you have to replace him. You replace him with Chris Aguila, who hasn't played at this level in months or at all since August, and leave Joe Borchard sitting on the pine. Consequently, Chris Aguila has a chance to double off LoDuca on a hit-and-run gone afoul, but screws up the throw because he hasn't used his arm in two weeks.

Furthermore, remember when you took out Willingham for Eric Reed? Yeah well, you effectively took all protection away from Miguel Cabrera. You have the best lefty closer this game has ever seen in a sticky situation in the bottom of the ninth: two runners on and the league's leading hitter up. Usually there is a decent hitter who offers protection batting behind him, but this time who's on deck after Cabrera? Yeah, that's right Reggie Abercrombie. Meanwhile, Wagner isn't giving Miggy anything to hit (as he shouldn't because Reggie Abercrombie is on deck) and Miggys swinging at poor pitches (as he should because Reggie Abercrombie is on deck).

Clearly, that one gamble to tie the game in the 8th was well worth it.

You sir, are a putz and you over-managed today.

Sincerely,

FlumLum

Look, it happens.

We had to beat the Mets and the umpire. Or did you forget that he single-handedly changed the course of the 8th and 9th innings for the Mets.

By my count, LoDuca should have been ejected in the 8th, Tank had Beltran struck out in the 8th, Borowski had Delgado and Wright both struck out in the 9th and the zone got suspiciously wider for Willingham and Cabrera earlier in the game.

you have no problems with Girardi taking Hammer out of the game on the 8th and having Helms sacrifice?

Look, it happens.

you have no problems with Girardi taking Hammer out of the game on the 8th and having Helms sacrifice?

At home you play for the tie.

He played for it in a weird way, but he played for the tie.

I can't get the bunting of one of our better basestealers to second by one of our best situational hitters.

You know what, absolutely, I agree.

BUT

Hanley got thrown out at second off of Mota/LoDuca, and as we saw last season, that used to be an easy gimme for any player with above average speed.

Perhaps the track was of enough concern such that the running game was being halted?

Guest FlummoxedLummox

I can't get the bunting of one of our better basestealers to second by one of our best situational hitters.

I really wouldn't have wanted Reed stealing anyway. There's no sense wasting an out. Maybe put on the hit-and-run to increase the chance Reed makes it to third with no outs, but I don't like that too much either. I think Willingham should have been left in, and Helms should have been allowed to swing the bat. And I'm not saying this belatedly, I said so in the game thread.

The bottom line is that Girardi shouldn't have been put in the position to make these types of decisions (game deciding) if the umpire didn't decide to give the game to the Mets. But to go through your points:

1) Nolasco is scheduled to re-enter the rotation and maybe he didn't want him to get into a long inning and lessen his effectiveness when that comes around by having to throw too many pitches and possibly getting bombed out of the inning. Nolasco was getting squeezed and should have gotten the strikeout versus Delgado. But it looked like it was going to get ugly after Wright's double.

2) The steal for Hanley may have been ill timed, but it looked to me like he was safe.

3) Tank last pitched three days ago and during that outing he had a similiar pitch count. So being tired is not an excuse. The guy just seems to have a thing for giving up game tieing homeruns when JJ gets a start. When JJ is pitching, it is time to have a quick trigger pulling Tank apparently (if you have to go to him).

4) Minor quibble. Girardi was just trying to get the tieing run in.

5) Jacobs does not have the best track record as a pinch hitter, but I wouldn't have minded seeing a pinch hitter for Olivo.

6) ----